PDA

View Full Version : Drive Oil Options?

Carl C
08-03-2009, 12:07 PM
I've always used Quicksilver high performance gear lube in my drive, you know, the green stuff. Problem is it's hard to find around here and is overpriced. What would be a good alternative oil to use that I can find easier? I've got an XR upper/Imco lower. It's time to get the break-in oil out of there.

VetteLT193
08-03-2009, 12:30 PM
http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/agm.aspx

Mail order is kind of a plus. Price is the same as Merc though, so I just stick to the Merc stuff personally.

Rootsy
08-03-2009, 01:01 PM
You spent How much on that IMCO and XR? How much on that 525? How bout those CMI's? The 22 to begin with? How much on fuel each week? Yet here you are using price as an excuse not to use Merc Hi-Perf? :bonk:

There was a lively discussion about Merc Hi-Perf, Amsoil, Redline, etc etc a few years ago... Da search option is yo fwiend...

The Hedgehog
08-03-2009, 01:19 PM
Merc High Performance buy it in advance if you need. Heck, I can buy it here in Mcminnville. Yeah, it is pricey. If you are slinging a 525 and XR then you should not complain about the extra pennies. Wait till you add power and have to change it every 10 hours:eek:

I have not heard anything bad about the Amsoil and Royal Purple stuff but the big power guys around here use Merc.

Carl C
08-03-2009, 01:33 PM
It's more of the not being able to find it thing. Boater's World is gone, there is no West Marine within 40 miles, Bass Pro Shops sells big outboards but not the high performance gear lube and the local boat dealers want to bend you over and get out the vasoline. If the green stuff is really the best then I will drive 40 miles to West Marine. I just thought there might be an alternative that was just as good at the local AutoZone. I plan to start changing the drive oil twice a year and it would be nice to be able to buy it by the gallon too.

MOP
08-03-2009, 01:35 PM
Frankly with the bucks that many have spent a high quality expensive oil is just cheap insurance. Three top contenders in my book are Amsoil, Spectro Gold and Red Line shock proof, there are amyriad of testimonials out there backing up all three. I believe all three beat any off the shelf oil. I am running Spectro Gold in both the engine and drive, for the HP I make it is overkill but it gives me piece of mind.

Phil

The Hedgehog
08-03-2009, 01:39 PM
It's more of the not being able to find it thing. Boater's World is gone, there is no West Marine within 40 miles, Bass Pro Shops sells big outboards but not the high performance gear lube and the local boat dealers want to bend you over and get out the vasoline. If the green stuff is really the best then I will drive 40 miles to West Marine. I just thought there might be an alternative that was just as good at the local AutoZone. I plan to start changing the drive oil twice a year and it would be nice to be able to buy it by the gallon too.

You may want to check with some of your local marine mechanics. I was surprised to find it here. One of the local guys had it. Some of the HP bass guys use it.

I would imagine that some of the speed shops will have some of the Amsoil or other products.

Rootsy
08-03-2009, 01:46 PM
Well we all know what BOAT really stands for....

VetteLT193
08-03-2009, 01:46 PM

They sell the Merc Hi Perf. stuff at Wal Mart by me. And my Wal Mart has a pretty pathetic marine section. They don't even stock the Merc engine oil, but they have that gear oil. :bonk:

BUIZILLA
08-03-2009, 01:49 PM
just buy the 2 gallon jug with the pump setup and your done

gcarter
08-03-2009, 01:55 PM
C'mon Chachi!
Tell 'em where to get your stuff:yes:!

The Hedgehog
08-03-2009, 01:55 PM

I have been meaning to do that myself with a rigged garden sprayer setup.

I prefer to use the small pump and quart bottles because it makes a bigger mess and is a pain in the #@$.

I need to quit waiting till the last minute too.

Carl C
08-03-2009, 02:17 PM
Well we all know what BOAT really stands for....

"pull out another thousand" :)
http://www.donzi.net/forums/showpost.php?p=509581&postcount=1

They have that?? I will look into it. I will look more into some of the other suggestions too.

JustMercMe
08-03-2009, 02:23 PM
They sell the Merc Hi Perf. stuff at Wal Mart by me. And my Wal Mart has a pretty pathetic marine section. They don't even stock the Merc engine oil, but they have that gear oil. :bonk:

Ditto....Never saw the HP stuff till a couple of months ago when Wal-Mart switched there Marine line over....I just changed to it in mine. $9.96 a bottle. Just bought another bottle. The've been stocking the 2 stroke merc stuff and some 4 stroke Merc stuff in the automotive section here.

Bunch of the outboard guys here have been running some stuff called Alisyn....Seems to be shiz nit. (lil pricey) Picking up some R's by going with it over regular HP lube....Of course like I said they are using it in OB lowers. Dunno what the outcome would be in a stern drive app.

Carl C
08-03-2009, 02:27 PM
Ditto....Never saw the HP stuff till a couple of months ago when Wal-Mart switched there Marine line over....I just changed to it in mine. $9.96 a bottle. Just bought another bottle. The've been stocking the 2 stroke merc stuff and some 4 stroke Merc stuff in the automotive section here.

Bunch of the outboard guys here have been running some stuff called Alisyn....Seems to be shiz nit. (lil pricey) Picking up some R's by going with it over regular HP lube....Of course like I said they are using it in OB lowers. Dunno what the outcome would be in a stern drive app.

Wal-Mart? But it's not made in China. Thanks for the tip, I hate Wal-Mart but I will check for that.

blackhawk
08-03-2009, 02:58 PM
I have been meaning to do that myself with a rigged garden sprayer setup.
I prefer to use the small pump and quart bottles because it makes a bigger mess and is a pain in the #@$.
I need to quit waiting till the last minute too.

That's exactly what I did. I buy the 2.5 gallon jugs and fill up the garden sprayer that's been modified. :D

Last Real Texan
08-03-2009, 03:16 PM
Just use the Merc Hi performance stuff...it works

jvcobra
08-03-2009, 03:54 PM
Royal Purple Gear Oil...can be found at Pep Boys.

Carl C
08-03-2009, 06:46 PM
I will go shopping tomorrow and see what I can find. If I can't find the good merc stuff I will look at Amsoil, Red-line or Royal Purple. Thanks.

CHACHI
08-03-2009, 06:47 PM
C'mon Chachi!
Tell 'em where to get your stuff:yes:!

I could, but Carl thinks the Merc stuff is expensive.

Ken

motorcity
08-03-2009, 07:03 PM
I will go shopping tomorrow and see what I can find. If I can't find the good merc stuff I will look at Amsoil, Red-line or Royal Purple. Thanks.

Carl,

S&G Auto Parts on Dixie Hwy has Redline Oils, and their is Best Auto Parts on Van Dyke, In Shelbly Twp, they have Amsoil. Some napa,s carry Amsoil, also.Their is also an Auto Parts store at Walton And Baldwin, that carrys Royal Purple.

Carl C
08-03-2009, 07:32 PM
Carl,

S&G Auto Parts on Dixie Hwy has Redline Oils, and their is Best Auto Parts on Van Dyke, In Shelbly Twp, they have Amsoil. Some napa,s carry Amsoil, also.Their is also an Auto Parts store at Walton And Baldwin, that carrys Royal Purple.

You must be my neighbor :). I live right near S&G and not far from Herk's @ Walton & Baldwin. Thanks. Will check Wally World first though.

motorcity
08-03-2009, 08:01 PM
[QUOTE=Carl C;529135]You must be my neighbor

Remember, from Bill Fox. I'm at Walton & Livernois area.

Tony

Carl C
08-04-2009, 09:35 AM
WallyWorld had a lot of quicksilver products but not the high performance gear lube. I bought Royal Purple "Max-Gear High Performance Automotive Gear Oil" 75w-90 at AutoZone. It says on the back "test proven in high performance boats". Didn't buy it to save money, it's actually pretty expensive. I bought it because it's easier to find. Also found a source for Wix Racing oil filters today too.

RickR
08-04-2009, 12:39 PM
I got my last 2.5 gallon jug of Merc High Perf Gear Oil from Madpoodle.:shades:

I mark a line on my clear garder sprayer (filler) with the volume for the Bravo. Fill to line, lock sprayer trigger ON and walk away till she's nearly full.