PDA

View Full Version : CPA review

VetteLT193
08-03-2009, 08:19 AM
Any CPA's here? My wife just got her OK to take the CPA (Florida). We're looking at prep courses and there are a ton of them. Becker is obviously the big name, but are there others?

She'd prefer an online thing if there is one because she can study with any free time she has at work and at home.

Any pointers would really be appreciated.

Donzi Vol
08-03-2009, 11:43 AM
Any CPA's here? My wife just got her OK to take the CPA (Florida). We're looking at prep courses and there are a ton of them. Becker is obviously the big name, but are there others?

She'd prefer an online thing if there is one because she can study with any free time she has at work and at home.

Any pointers would really be appreciated.

Does Kaplan do accounting prep? I know they do a ton of other stuff. Might be worth a look.

tmh
08-03-2009, 11:52 AM
Gleim had self study books years ago that were as good as any of the review courses. I'm sure the books are now available on-line. If she follows the Gleim program on a self study basis that will be as good as any review course and she won't have to waste time with an instructor wandering off topic or spending time driving to and from a course. Best of luck.
T.M. Hayes, CPA

The Hedgehog
08-03-2009, 12:00 PM
Does Kaplan do accounting prep? I know they do a ton of other stuff. Might be worth a look.

I did a Kaplan course for the Series 7. It was the way to go. I did not crack a book before the class and passed the test the following Monday. I would have struggled pretty hard without the class. The actual test had some questions on it that were no longer factually correct in the real world. Kaplan taught me how to just pass the test.

handfulz28
08-03-2009, 02:12 PM
Becker online or self study. A buddy of mine is taking one section at a time and swears by Becker. He didn't have the greatest things to say about the Gleim for the actual CPA. I imagine their pilot training material is still good. :D

VetteLT193
08-03-2009, 03:27 PM
I'll focus in on Becker and Gleim to see what others are saying. The kaplan stuff is kind of out because she wants an online / self paced thing. Just an issue with juggling work, kids, etc.