PDA

View Full Version : Need help with trim tab pump wiring

harbormaster
08-02-2009, 07:58 AM
I pulled my port trim tab pump off to replace a solenoid.
It had automotive style solenoids which were starting to rust on the tops so I decided to replace both of them with marine style solenoids which are a tad different.

I woke up this morning at 1:30 am and couldn't sleep so i reinstalled the trim pump. (My neighbors just love me!)

Well it does not work (no clicking or anything). I believe i did not wire it correctly.

Attached is a diagram of how i wired it. Can someone tell me what i did wrong....

A2VeeDub
08-02-2009, 08:20 AM
I don't know if you included everything in your schematic, but I can see something missing. The solenoids need to be grounded (Maybe they are mounted to something that is and I'm not seeing that). Also there needs to be a main power source connected to the solenoids.

That is the only thing I see wrong. Both of which may be done, but not shown in your schematic.

harbormaster
08-02-2009, 08:25 AM
Thanks for the reply. The power is coming in from the harness. The solenoids are grounded to the plate.

Anyone else??

BigGrizzly
08-02-2009, 08:38 AM
Scott The switch hot goes to the small screw on the other side of the ground. every thing else looks good. Then make sure the ground is good and can be attached to the pump black too. I just went through this on the Criterion. because I remote mounted the solenoids - too much chit on the pump

MOP
08-02-2009, 10:51 AM
Like A2VeeDub I also noticed rom your diagram the ground posts on the solenoids are not hooked up, the solenoids do not ground through the mounting bolts.

MOP
08-02-2009, 11:33 AM
Scot here are some pictures of a spare I have, the grounds are sistered together then secured under a mounting bolt. The pic's should help.

Phil

A2VeeDub
08-03-2009, 06:52 AM
Scott The switch hot goes to the small screw on the other side of the ground. every thing else looks good. Then make sure the ground is good and can be attached to the pump black too. I just went through this on the Criterion. because I remote mounted the solenoids - too much chit on the pump

Your Right. I totally missed that. If it was hooked up as the diagram shows the relays would have been bypassed and probably blown the fuse for the small red power wire running to the switch(es) when the pump tried to run directly off of the light gauge wire. Here is what BigGrizzly is saying.