PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else into wrist watches?

harbormaster
08-02-2009, 06:07 AM
Anyone else a watch freak?

I inherited a love for watches from my dad who was a watchmaker/jeweler.

I love giant macho dive watches. They don't have to be expensive.
I used to be a big a Fan of the Rolex Submariner and really wanted one bad. But it seems they are everywhere so therefore not that unique.

I do however like the Omega james Bond edition. Its cool and very unique.

Another I like that shows up from time to time is the Russian Diver titanium. I like the blue one. (last photo)

I own 3 watches that I really like.

1st one is a 1967 vintage gold Mido Oceanstar automatic. It was was my fathers favorite watch. Its very dressy and a bit too flashy,

2nd one is a QUINOTAUR RUSSIAN DIVER CHRONOGRAPH Model 4580.
Its has a 52mm stainless steel case, blue face and blue rubber strap.
I get lots of comments on it when I wear it. a Cool Watch

3rd is a Titanium Subaqua Noma III Chronograph. Its built like a tank.
huge case, glass back, waterproof to 1650ft.

Barry Eller
08-02-2009, 07:42 AM
Nice watches Scot. I have a TAG HEUER 1000 Professional, gold and stainless, black face and a CITIZEN ECO-DRIVE WR 200. My old SEIKO automatic dive watch died after 25 years. A ROLEX would inhibit my Donzi habit!

2donzi2
08-02-2009, 07:45 AM
I was in the jewelry business for 17 years in Dallas before selling out in 2000. I had an array of watches at one time; however, I always seemed to sell Rolex faster than any other watch. There were alot more accurate watches on the market such as Omega & Breitling, but you couldn't beat Rolex for resale. My favorite divers watch was a 500.00 Citizen Aqualand for a fraction of the cost of a Sub. Now in costruction in Florida.

harbormaster
08-02-2009, 07:52 AM
I BOUGHT A BRAND NEW SEIKO DIVER 100 IN 1984 FOR $184.00. i TOLD MY WIFE LATER THAT AS SOON AS IT DIED I WOULD BUY A ROLEX. THE SOB WOULD NOT DIE. I WORE IT UP TO 2006.

Barry Eller
08-02-2009, 08:12 AM
The old Seiko Dive watches were hard to beat! My TAG is now 20 years old but still keeps perfect time. When my Seiko died, my Wife's favorite jeweler, (imagine that) told her that the Citizens were better than the Seiko watches being made now. She bought me the Citizen about 7 years ago. ECO-DRIVE is light powered. No batteries or self winding movements nesessary.

txtaz
08-02-2009, 08:28 AM
Yep, Watches are cool. I've got a few. The rarest is a 1947 Bulova Gold that was my Grandfathers. I prefer to wear something not flashy.

Mrs Taz is working on her collection also.

roadtrip se
08-02-2009, 09:19 AM
Beautiful pieces gents.

I've got a Movado, a Longines, and a Rolex Sub with a Serti dial. The Movado and Longines are both gifts from Jill, and the Sub I bought as a reward for myself, after a year's worth of constant travel. I agree with you about the Rolex Scott, everybody seems to have one, but mine does get comments because of the unusual dial.

All are beautiful watches, but I don't seem to wear them much any more, except for dress. Something about being on a schedule all of the time.

The Hedgehog
08-02-2009, 09:48 AM
Got Rolex GMT Master and thinking about getting a set of Yacht Masters

Cuda
08-02-2009, 09:50 AM
It is Donzigo's business.

McGary911
08-02-2009, 11:28 AM
I don't know where I got my love of watches from (or Donzis for that matter), but the bug bit me about 20 years ago. Maybe it's the fact that you can enjoy them every day? You can keep them forever? Who knows. I like Rolex, but have been keeping my eye out for an Omega Planet Ocean at a good price.

I thought a Rolex Sub was kind of common as well, so I got myself an anniversary edition sub (16610LV). It has a green bezel and larger markers on the dial. I've only seen 1 other one on someone's wrist. They used to be tough to get, but most dealers seem to have one in stock these days. Here's a pic of the LV Sub and another of the whole family. :wink:

Scott. I really like the blue one on the right. Is that anodized blue?

gcarter
08-02-2009, 11:44 AM
I have a Rolex Sub (no date) that I bought new in '76 (I think) and wore it religiously until the original band just flat wore through. I bought another Rolex band on eBay that needs a few more links to fit properly, and an after market band that fits very well.
Since Donzigo helped me out w/a new Seiko about three years ago, it's been gathering dust.
I'm in the mood to get rid of it.
Anyone interested?
I'd like to get more than $500.00.
I know this isn't the way to do this but I hope Harbormaster won't be too hard on me.
Times are challenging.

MOP
08-02-2009, 12:12 PM
Daaamn we all save are oldies, 2 Seiko's, 2 Rolexs, a Guren and a a Movado. That is what I can find right off, I know I have another 1/2 doz kicking around. Timex was the first to bring out a digital, it looked like a Dumont TV on your wrist. Can't remember what I paid but about two years ago I got $100 for it from a collector.

No lets be honest does owning all this junk make us be 'On Time" all the time:pimp:

dr
08-02-2009, 12:27 PM
I’m not a ‘watch freak’ but they have played a significant role in my life….my ‘salt of the earth’ parents gave me a nice Bolivia Accutron for my graduation from college in 1974….at the same time my ‘crazy uncle’ whom they tried to keep away from me as much as possible…he lived in Las Vegas and was a gambler(cards, golf, anything really)/alcoholic/mad man sent me a really garish Swiss watch (don’t recall the brand) and a diamond ring rolled up in a brown paper bag with tape wrapped all around it….. and my former wife really got into Ebel watches with the marital money before she filed for divorce’…

So watchs bring both grins and grimaces for me…

txtaz
08-02-2009, 01:30 PM
[QUOTE=gcarter;528846]I have a Rolex Sub (no date) that I bought new in '76 (I think) and wore it religiously until the original band just flat wore through. I bought another Rolex band on eBay that needs a few more links to fit properly...QUOTE]

George, I have some links to that band if you want them.

vsop
08-02-2009, 05:59 PM
I was about to buy a new Super Avenger last time I was overseas because it was tax free and a pretty good deal with the exchange rate in Singapore but I decided I needed to cut back on my spending if I wanted to buy a boat. Now I just need to gamble less when in Vegas and I will be all set.

Cuda
08-02-2009, 06:06 PM
I had a Seiko for many years that I wore doing tile work. I cracked the crystal, and still used it for many years, until the innards rusted up too much.

Ed Donnelly
08-02-2009, 09:12 PM
I have a Rolex Cosmograph Chronograph new in 1967 took it in for servicing
and they want $1,000 to overhaul with NO warranty. Appears parts are obsolete.. My Datejust never sees the inside of Rolex..
My prized watches are
1) 1974 Bulova Set Omatic still in the original case and box with price tag and warranty. NEVER worn.. My Father in Law found out they wanted $5. to remove 4 links, so he put the watch in his sock drawer and it stayed there until the day he died (1994) It has been in my sock drawer since then
2) Pulsar Donzi Watch(from H.M.)
3) Stainless and gold Donzi Watch with red and gray Z's(Mike Miller)
4)Europa Mercury Watch (from H.M.) ............................................Ed

olredalert
08-02-2009, 09:40 PM
-------I have one watch,,,An S+G Rolex GMT Master w/blackface. Bought it new in 1971 in Ft.Liquerdale and its the only watch I have ever had. I have worn it every day that it has worked and I have to say there has only been about 2 months in all that time when it didnt. I would love to have a Sub but never seem to work up the courage to buy one. I can say that I have made a bunch of friends simply by wearing a Rolex. I think its some kind of club or fraternity. If it aint broke, dont fix it!!!...........Bill S

JimG
08-03-2009, 06:08 AM
Oldredalert, our watches must be twins... mine is also a 1971 TT GMT. Along with my old SS oyster, the most reliable piece of equipment I've ever owned. And the only items that have increased in value every year...

My knockaround watch is an Invicta diver automatic...

Carl C
08-03-2009, 06:33 AM
Scot, I've never liked wearing a watch and now I have the time on the cell phone but I do own this too cool Ford Mustang watch. The black band around the center of the face is actually silver and says "35th Anniversary". The band is leather and also says "Ford" on the clasp. Not a 40k Rolex but I like it.

Last Real Texan
08-03-2009, 06:47 AM
I have been known to buy a few Rolexs now and then...
I recently sold a Platinum and Stainless YachtMaster here on the board and still own a few.
Currently wearing a SS SubMariner and have an Early Stainless Dayton my Father gave me that lives in my Safety Deposit Box

As the Hedgehog stated I am also considering a set of new Yachtmasters for my wife and I as well as maybe a New Super Sea Dweller for myself...Decision decision decisions...
Mt next trip to Switzerland or the Caymans will be fruitful I am sure...

Rolex may be more common but they really last forever and lose little of there value, a good investment in quality if you ask me.
But you have to wear what you like...

Tex

Ranman
08-03-2009, 08:34 AM
I've been into watches for several years now. My first nice watch out of college was a Movado. Shortly after the first Movado, I purchased a Movado Valor which is made from tungsten carbide and is virtually scratchproof. I've worn it for years and looks the same as the day I bought it.
I've seen Todd's Serti dialed Submariner and came very close to getting a silver serti Sub because of his. His is a fantastically nice looking piece with the diamond and ruby markers.
I've also seen olred's GMT. Another classic piece that never goes out of style. I loved the fact that he bought his new in 1971 and still wears it every day. While Rolex is expensive, I wanted something that would always have value as well as something that I could keep for a lifetime.
After lots of deliberation, I decided to go with the standard two tone blue face 16613 or "Bluesy" as they like to call it. It's the quintessential classic mariners Rolex. Probably the most recognized and copied watch in the world. It's been on my wrist for nearly a year now and it still smiles at me every day.

olredalert
08-03-2009, 08:44 AM
-------Thats a classic, Randy!!! :cool!::cool!: Very nice.......Bill S

BUIZILLA
08-03-2009, 08:58 AM
I have the same watch as Randy, i've had it about 18-20 years now.... I quit wearing it daily about 3-4 years ago after I walked in a customers shop and he saw the watch and remarked if I could afford that he couldn't afford me :bonk:so I got a $175 chronograph Seiko stop watch that keeps absolute impeccable time, I set it twice a year for DST changes only, period....

i've had 3 Sub Rolex's now in the last 35 years, and none have kept good time... every 5-6 years they go in for the $750 *tuneup*... expensive.. but they sure are pretty :yes:

I also have a Movado, Zodiac, Breitling, and 2 Citizens in the drawer... (if your a drag racer you'll swear by a altimeter/barometer Citizen on your wrist)

The Hedgehog
08-03-2009, 10:32 AM
I have the same watch as Randy, i've had it about 18-20 years now.... I quit wearing it daily about 3-4 years ago after I walked in a customers shop and he saw the watch and remarked if I could afford that he couldn't afford me :bonk:so I got a $175 chronograph Seiko stop watch that keeps absolute impeccable time, I set it twice a year for DST changes only, period....

i've had 3 Sub Rolex's now in the last 35 years, and none have kept good time... every 5-6 years they go in for the $750 *tuneup*... expensive.. but they sure are pretty :yes:

I also have a Movado, Zodiac, Breitling, and 2 Citizens in the drawer... (if your a drag racer you'll swear by a altimeter/barometer Citizen on your wrist)

No the Rolex's don't keep great time.

Where is the king of pimp when you need him? I seem to remember him having a Rolex that he had to tow on a special trailer behind the Donzi when it was not on his wrist.

zelatore
08-03-2009, 11:21 AM
I noticed LRT's Rolex when he was out here. I figured that meant he should buy own of our new boats, but no such luck....

I've afraid I come up a little short on the bling myself. I've been wearing a Tag Heuer Kirium daily for about 8.5 years now. I wanted something nice but subdued. I bought one on my 30th birthday, then shortly thereafter was riding to work (the bike was less than a week old as well) when a woman took me out on the 880 freeway. Totaled the bike, and the watch was snagged on something while I was sliding down the road and torn off my wrist. Left a nice gouge that took over a year to heal. The CHP did find it and return it to me....at least most of it. :boggled:

Within a week I had limped back into both the bike and watch dealers to replace them. :kingme:

Bought the girlfriend a Cartier 21 Must De Cartier for Christmas a few years ago. Much cheaper than a ring....:wink:

Ranman
08-03-2009, 02:01 PM
If you want spot on accuracy, a $10 digital quartz will do. If you want an impressiveand rich history of fine timepiece making you need to step up into the world of Rolex, Panerai, Vacheron, Omega and others.

I am continuously facinated by automatic watch movements. I embrace the batteryless "automatic" concept and the effort it takes to make something so small have a tiny living heart, ticking away at 28,800 beats per hour. A piece that meets COSC specs as a superlative chronometer. I like the fact that it's not spot on accurate and that Rolex was the first company to introduce a waterproof watch with it's innovative oyster case design.

Anybody can make a watch that tells time and if that's what's important, then by all means, go for the quartz. Like someone said earlier, their cell phone gives them the right time. Wearing a fine timepiece is som much more than that.

For me its about the the quality and functionality, the statement it makes, the history, the horological aspects and quirks of owning a Rolex (or any other fine automatic timepiece). It makes sense to me that people who are only interested in time keeping can't understand why someone would spend so much for something that isn't "accurate". All I can tell them is that they wouldn't understand.

Now that I think about it, tt's a lot like owning a Donzi. :wink:

P.S. - This post is not directed at anyone specifically or at any earlier post, it's just a common observation Iseen and heard from many people over time...

Donzigo
09-12-2009, 08:14 AM
If you love to collect watches or want to know the interesting facts surrounding the various brands, you can't beat the website TIMEZONE.COM. The website is a world wide forum for watch lovers. Some of the manufacturers participate in providing factual data, too. You may not sell on the website. It's just for collectors............and it's filled with trivia, etc.

Also, check out the website THEWATCHAVENUE.com. What a website!

It's interesting to read the various comments on this thread. Ranman's got it right.......watches today probably aren't about telling time as much a a fashion statement or the "on the wrist signature" of a person. There's no question that the Swiss have it over the Japanese when it comes to "Status brand awareness" - Rolex, Tag, Breitling, etc. But, when it comes to accuracy & technology, it's hard to beat Hattori (Credor, Seiko, Pulsar, Alba, Nike, and a few other brands) or Myota (Citizen, Life, and a few other brands). These two manufacturer's have great parity, although each is known in some circles better than the other, mostly because they have marketed themselves to that consumer.

I've been in the game for 40 years as a manufactuer's rep. and I still love it.

Ed Donnelly
09-12-2009, 08:42 AM
WOW; Just found a really great deal on a
Patek Philippe Grand Complications Perpetual
Model 5004P-021
Reg price $241,000
on sale for $197,041.60

Thats an 18% savings
Get one while they last........Ed:eek:

gcarter
09-12-2009, 08:48 AM
WOW; Just found a really great deal on a
Patek Philippe Grand Complications Perpetual
Model 5004P-021
Reg price $241,000
on sale for $197,041.60

Thats an 18% savings
Get one while they last........Ed:eek:
I like the name, "Complications Perpetual"....

That would be the status of my life if I bought one! :boggled:

BERTRAM BOY
09-12-2009, 10:16 AM

A chronometer by definition doesn't have to keep perfect time. It just has to have a predictable and constant deviation.
This dates back to John Harrison's development of the first chromometer in the 1700's

zelatore
09-12-2009, 10:54 AM
A chronometer by definition doesn't have to keep perfect time. It just has to have a predictable and constant deviation.
This dates back to John Harrison's development of the first chromometer in the 1700's

You don't say? Guess that explains why my TAG constantly looses about 1-2 minutes a week even after the $350 'tune up'! :boggled:

McGary911
09-12-2009, 11:22 AM
You don't say? Guess that explains why my TAG constantly looses about 1-2 minutes a week even after the $350 'tune up'! :boggled:

I'd say that watch has to go back for a re-tune up, huh? With no money out of your pocket for sure....

Just last week one of my local jewelers had a Rolex road show come through. A sales lady gave me a heads up. Guess she knows I'm gullible with these things. Didn't buy anything, but they had a Rolex certified tech onsite, and gave my 2 tone sub (yep, a blusey :) ) a once over. 8 position accuracy check showed + 2 seconds per day, well within COSC specs. Came out fine for the water intrusion test too. Rolex guy walked away from his bench with a big smile on his face. Handed it to me and said, "Perfect!".

What's everyone think about the late trend toward bigger watches? I don't get it at all, but I tend to like classic designs. my 40 mm sub is about as big as I can imagine....and that's a sports watch. For a dress watch, I think 36mm is ideal. Even Rolex is making 40mm plus dress watches now. I tried on a couple, and hated them. I wouldn't be surprised if these things look like leisure suits in 10 years or so......Friend of mine bought a Breitling. it must be 47mm. Looks like a dinner plate on his wrist...:confused:

Conquistador_del_mar
09-12-2009, 12:22 PM
I'd say that watch has to go back for a re-tune up, huh? With no money out of your pocket for sure....

Just last week one of my local jewelers had a Rolex road show come through. A sales lady gave me a heads up. Guess she knows I'm gullible with these things. Didn't buy anything, but they had a Rolex certified tech onsite, and gave my 2 tone sub (yep, a blusey :) ) a once over. 8 position accuracy check showed + 2 seconds per day, well within COSC specs. Came out fine for the water intrusion test too. Rolex guy walked away from his bench with a big smile on his face. Handed it to me and said, "Perfect!".

What's everyone think about the late trend toward bigger watches? I don't get it at all, but I tend to like classic designs. my 40 mm sub is about as big as I can imagine....and that's a sports watch. For a dress watch, I think 36mm is ideal. Even Rolex is making 40mm plus dress watches now. I tried on a couple, and hated them. I wouldn't be surprised if these things look like leisure suits in 10 years or so......Friend of mine bought a Breitling. it must be 47mm. Looks like a dinner plate on his wrist...:confused:

I have been wearing a Seiko Chronograph 200M gold and silver banded diving watch for about 10 years now. It has never been off my wrist except for installing new batteries or a new stem once and for cleaning it occasionally. It has always held the atomic time to within 8 seconds a month and has been through extreme abuse. I always knew it was huge, but I just measured it to be 43mm so I got a kick out of your post about the dinner plate. I actually like it so much that I bought a backup for about $250 about 5 years ago when it looked like they were not going to be made anymore and the price came down. Some of you guys have shown some outrageously nice watches, but I can not personally justify spending so much on a watch. On the other hand, I have been known to buy $5000+ arrowheads since that is one of my passions :yes: No wonder my wife confirms that I am nuts - lol. Bill

zelatore
09-13-2009, 10:30 AM

Myself, I hate the giant watch thing. Of course, I'm not a big guy so they look ridiculous on me anyway. With the rise of premium brand watches as fashion statement over recent years I just assumed it was part the game. After all, if you only bought the watch because it had a certain name and you want everybody to know it (aka 'bling'), why not get the biggest one you can to be sure they see it?

You know, it'll go better with your giant diamond stud earring and gold tooth that way.

Although I have to admit when I'm working a show that's one of the things I look at; a guy might be dressed very 'casual' at a boat show but if I see a Sub on his wrist I figure there might be some substance there...I'm told I should be able to 'read' the women's shoes and bags as well, but somehow I just can't manage it. After 'Nike' and 'Sperry', I'm pretty much lost on shoes. :wink:

zimm17
09-13-2009, 07:15 PM
I like my Oris TT1 titanium divers. Swiss automatics are awesome.

mphatc
09-13-2009, 08:38 PM
I have two watches that are my favorites, sadly both are broken right now! :confused::confused:

The first is an old Tissot Sideral with a fiberglass case, cool automatic dive watch, but the adjustment stem got lost . . and I haven't found another like it for parts . it's a 17 jewel watch. Any suggestions?

Second is my wedding gift from my Linda, a TAG Professional Chronometer. silver face, this was a special order from Switzerland when we got engaged. It was reliable until it broke at 3 years and since then we've spent $700.00 on repairs and now TAG refuses to acknowledge any responsibilty . . It has more sentimental value than real value which is whyI want it to work!

In the interim I have been wearing a BMW Williams F1 digital watch, funky design, but with typical German reliability!

Watches are cool, and I'd spend the money on repairs, but I need a prop for the Corsican and I have this Magnum 27 project . . . :wink:

Bill, I didn't need the Rolex to meet people, just the Corsican, BUT had I known that a Rolex would help me to meet influential people I would have bought that . . .wow . . think of how much money I would have saved!

Mario L.

olredalert
09-14-2009, 12:09 AM
-------Mario,,,Unless theres another Bill in the room, I didnt mention "influential people". Wouldnt ever have said that as I dont know any "influential people" other than Baxter. He has real power!!! What I did say was that I had "made friends" thru the ownership of a Rolex. I think theres quite a distinction between the two. :kingme: .........Mr.Bill