PDA

View Full Version : What's a 16 project boat worth?

silverghost
08-01-2009, 09:19 AM
I am trying to get a feel for the project boat market.
I found a very rough project early 60s "sweet" 16 close to home with no engine, no deck hardware, no gauge panel, no steering gear or throttle,, needing extensive deck repair work. Hull appears OK but might need stringer and transom wood replacment. Has rough Volvo outdrive, and equally rough trailer.
But still it's an early 16 Donzi !
Owner is asking $1500 FIRM !

What might it be worth on today's Donzi market?
I am a new Donzi Forum member & I do not know prices on the early classics.
Looking for a fall and winter project
I wish to restore one myself & have extensive glass repair experience.
my uncle had a Berkley Jet Donzi that I grew-up driving 30 years ago...
Now I want a Donzi for myself !
Prefer 18 or larger early Donzi
A Berkley waterjet would be fine
but will accept outdrive Donzi as the waterjet squirts are fairly rare?
Brad Hunter
215 947 4676 (PA)
609 399 4494 ( Ocean City NJ)
215 479 6667 (Cellphone)

motorcity
08-01-2009, 09:22 AM
May want to read this tread, its sounds like the same boat.

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=58473

Donzi Vol
08-01-2009, 09:29 AM
Hmmmm...if you think that it's a doable project, then $1500 is probably worth it. You might want to let him know that it's going to cost you some $$ to find all of the rigging that he doesn't have with the boat. He might come down a little because of that.

As far as the boat itself, make sure you're dedicated before you take it on! It can get expensive and will always involve more than you're planning on doing. BUT if you like the idea of a restored classic and enjoy doing the work, then there's nothing like it! (Take a look at my signature line :wink:)

chappy
08-01-2009, 09:42 AM
I picked up a 16 project hull in Hopatcong NJ, trailered it to PA. Then had it transported to Port St. Lucie, FL.

All we had was a bill of sale, and a plate with a matched reg. card off of a different trailer.

People do it all the time.:angel:

A buddy that's a PA state trooper told me the fine was $75.00 if stopped.

Luckily, we weren't stopped.

Make sure the lights work on the trailer, and don't drive like a madman.:kingme:

Sweet Cheekz
08-01-2009, 09:47 AM
Silver
I would think you would need to know the hull number on that boat to restore it because of the issues you posted. There has been plenty of 5-7k boats that need some restoring on this board that have a documented history and a motor and outdrive If you do the math they will probably be cheaper in the end even if you rebuild the drive and motor. If your plan is to buy everything new like my plan was than you need the cheapest stripped boat you can find I think without paperwork that boat should sell for less than 1500 Good luck and keep us posted with progress pics when you find one
Parnell

olredalert
08-01-2009, 10:15 AM
------Im curious how you know that this DONZI isnt a stolen boat??? Could have been stolen for the parts that are missing and then just stored for a long time until people felt the heat was off. I am in no way saying that the current seller would have any knowledge of this. He may have unwittingly bought it just as you are about to. :frown: ........Bill S

Carl C
08-01-2009, 10:33 AM
You will end up having more $ in it than if you bought one ready to run. If you enjoy doing the resto work buy it. If you are looking to go boating check the "Donzis for sale" section here. All JMO.

gcarter
08-01-2009, 11:44 AM
Parnell, Bill. and Carl are correct.
There're plenty of 16's in the $7K-$10K market that you could start boating in this season.
I bought a project Minx for $4K and by the time it was finished, I had well over $25K in it.
Cut your losses and buy a good runner.
No one's going to pay you for the extra $10K-$15K that you end up putting into it.
Of course, for a little more you can get into an 18.
It's a whole lot more boat than 2'.

MOP
08-01-2009, 12:28 PM
By the time you weigh time, hassle, scouting parts and $$$ you will be well ahead of one that is running, Projects seem great but old boats when mended cost more then market when ended!

gcarter
08-01-2009, 03:33 PM
I just re-read your original post and I see your heart's in the right place, so I would only suggest that you find an early Hornet or GT or something that will have a bit more intrinsic value than the 16.
Projects are fun when you have the attitude that it's entertaining, and it gives you a sense of accomplishment.
I know this for a fact.
But so many think that their goal is to get into a Donzi on the cheap.
They're always frustrated.

fasttrucker
08-01-2009, 08:06 PM
I was going to chime-in.The 2002 22zx that I have for sale,well Ive got more into it that I cant get back out.Ive had it a year now.It seemed a good plan when I bought it.Also they say:confused: fiberglass that is exposed to the sun does have a 30 year life span.So keep your boats covered up:crossfing:

harbormaster
08-02-2009, 05:14 AM
I agree with George. Spend a bit more money on an X18, minx, etc.

You will spend the same amount (or less) time and money and end up with a more valuable boat.

Donzi Vol
08-02-2009, 02:20 PM
Do whatever you want to do. Life is too short not to do what makes you happy...no matter what it may cost you in time and/or money. I still don't think you'd be getting taken advantage of at $1500. Again, it might be worth a try to get the seller to drop the price a little in consideration of the lack of rigging. Good luck!

David Ochs
08-03-2009, 03:29 PM
As a few other respected members have stated, you're much better off finding something else. I restored my 16 some fifteen years ago. Glad I did it and now I have a very reliable great looking Donzi. I am still rewarded with compliments. But, there is no question that finding one already restored would have been a lot less expensive, without consideration of the time spent.
The fact is, the boats value will never equal what you invest in it.

VetteLT193
08-03-2009, 08:20 PM
Parnell, Bill. and Carl are correct.

I bought a project Minx for $4K and by the time it was finished, I had well over $25K in it.
Cut your losses and buy a good runner.
No one's going to pay you for the extra $10K-$15K that you end up putting into it.
Of course, for a little more you can get into an 18.
It's a whole lot more boat than 2'.

+1 I did almost the same thing as George. I thought I could beat the system, it beat me.

Bobby D
08-04-2009, 08:50 AM
Brad,
I have a 1970 ski sporter that you may be interested in looking at, it’s a turn key original Holman Moody boat and I live in Lancaster PA. Let me know if you want to go for ride, also where are you in Ocean City? We have a house on the 4100 block of West Avenue.
Bob

silverghost
08-06-2009, 03:33 PM
Thank's for all your opinions & input guys!
I think I will continue to look for less of a project "Classic"
An older fairly complete & tired 18 or 16 "Classic" from the 60s or 70s might be a better idea for me.
Better to put more money in upfront that to buy a basketcase that needs everything!
In fact an 18 -22 might be better for my NJ Great Egg Harbor bay than the smaller 16.
How much slower would an 18 be than the ski-sport 16 "Classic"?
would the extra two feet of length give me that much more drag and slower top speed?
I would .appreciate you all giving me a "Heads-UP" if an older 18 0r 16 classic pops-up on the market!
I would gladly pay a "Finder's Fee"!
I have wanted my own Donzi "Classic" since the late 60s !
Now is the time for me to live the Donzi "Classic" Dream!
I sure do miss my late uncle's Donzi Olds 455/ Berkeley jetboat !
Brad Hunter
215 947 4676 (PA home)
609 399 4494 (Ocean City NJ)
215 479 6667 (Cellphone)

Just Say N20
08-06-2009, 08:20 PM
Believe it or not, a classic 18 runs faster with similar power than a 16 does.

I don't know how much you want to spend on a boat. I spent $5,000 on a 1967 Ski-sporter 16 that ran, and could have been used this season, but for a whole lot of reasons, I chose to undertake a rebuild. http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=58186

Had I waited, I could have bought back my first Donzi, a 1976 X18. I don't believe it sold, so if you are willing to spend around $8K, this would be a pretty cool boat. http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=58186

Or you could take some time and look through all the threads in the Donzi for Sale section. You might find something you like in there.

Bill