PDA

View Full Version : Outdrives: convert old Volvo to new Volvo?

handfulz28
07-31-2009, 04:13 PM
What's the consensus on a resto-mod for a model that originally came with a Volvo, and instead of sourcing old Volvo 280T parts, a newer Volvo setup is used? I know Merc Alpha/Bravo would be cheapest/easiest, but I'm thinking it would be nice to at least stay with original manufacturer? Power would be new tech, so not looking at this as a totally original resto.

f_inscreenname
07-31-2009, 05:08 PM
Find the 280T parts. I even know where one is now. It will cost you a 1/16th of what a new(er) DP will and also if you don't get the right DP you will be doing transom work.

handfulz28
07-31-2009, 07:32 PM
No DP, not worth it.

handfulz28
07-31-2009, 11:10 PM
Loose lips sink ships...or have them stolen out from underneath you...:frown:

So for now, just random thoughts. I think only the DPX/DPX-HP get the hyd steering. "Standard" DPs are cable/power assist. I'd rather spend extra money on add-on external for a single prop drive than have to d!ck around with finding the right set of duo props.

A 280T might end up being less expensive after all...

mattyboy
08-02-2009, 11:49 AM
i would go to a 290 then a dp upgrade is easier if needed you can use the 280 cut out then drill a few holes for the 290

MOP
08-02-2009, 11:58 AM
IMO shop for a later version, get away from the old style. The newer drives are far more hydrodynamic, have improved internals for the higher HP of today's stuff. You will have to do the transom over with can be a plus allowing you to raise the X for better performance.

Cuda
08-02-2009, 11:58 AM
Ask Forrest. I think he put a pair of Volvo's on a boat. Good looking drives.

mattyboy
08-02-2009, 12:04 PM
IMO shop for a later version, get away from the old style. The newer drives are far more hydrodynamic, have improved internals for the higher HP of today's stuff. You will have to do the transom over with can be a plus allowing you to raise the X for better performance.

handzful

be careful if you are after the boat I think you are raising the X can be a real problem to ride, handling,and overall performance it is not a traditional "classic" type hull

handfulz28
08-02-2009, 12:15 PM
handzful

be careful if you are after the boat I think you are raising the X can be a real problem to ride, handling,and overall performance it is not a traditional "classic" type hull

Tell me more Matty. Of course I am thinking that starting with a clean transom would be an opportunity to modify X, but only if it would a)still fit under the hatch and b)actually be worth it.

And since you're finally reading this, what are your thoughts on sticking with the heritage of Volvo, but going new style? I'm more of a resto-mod visionary, so that opens doors....

mattyboy
08-02-2009, 12:31 PM
if you are going for a hornet remember they are not a 24 degree deep vee they are a 19 degree deep vee. raising the X as far as clearance usually it is not a problem but raising the X on the hornet can make the ride harsher and pound. once you cut the hole it is all over but the crying but if you went merc you could try a raised X with a shorty

as far as the resto mod thing I would go 'ALL' original as one option the other would be to return the boat cosemetically to original and update the power plant to whatever you think will give you the most options for performance upgrades props and reliabilty

this is the route Paul H is taking with the benchseat all original but upgraded power/drive combob

handfulz28
08-02-2009, 01:01 PM
How "original" is "all original"? :D Down to gauges and all hardware, or the big things like layout, seats, overall "style"? Ya' know, can it have an MP3 player and a decent radio? :shades:

I'm aware of the Hornet deadrise. Considering a Bravo is the "easiest" drive to find shorties for, that's just not that orignal, or unique. Other option would be a Konrad but that's not what I'd have in mind. Realistically, a benefit that I would look for out of a propshaft height change would be efficiency. If 1 or 2" higher means a few hundred RPM less at cruise, then that's worth considering.

BUIZILLA
08-02-2009, 01:20 PM
so did you figure out what the BIG hole in the back seat was for? :)

mattyboy
08-02-2009, 02:00 PM
How "original" is "all original"? :D Down to gauges and all hardware, or the big things like layout, seats, overall "style"? Ya' know, can it have an MP3 player and a decent radio? :shades:

I'm aware of the Hornet deadrise. Considering a Bravo is the "easiest" drive to find shorties for, that's just not that orignal, or unique. Other option would be a Konrad but that's not what I'd have in mind. Realistically, a benefit that I would look for out of a propshaft height change would be efficiency. If 1 or 2" higher means a few hundred RPM less at cruise, then that's worth considering.

a 19 hornet with a raised X has ride issues, a 21 hornet with a raised X will probably have more ride issues.

all original is all original and with that in mind when encountered with a issue like a trim gauge in a power update the owner has an original dash plate re worked to add the guage in a one off piece I would say originality is more important than unique. Paul also had holman moody create a new hi po 289 for a total original theme but it was thought everything but the original power would be the way to go to get trim and the hi po possibilities of the merc and merc racing

handfulz28
08-02-2009, 05:39 PM
so did you figure out what the BIG hole in the back seat was for? :)

Conversation piece? :wink:

Nothing official, but can only guess it aids engine access, or made something go easier during assembly.