PDA

View Full Version : I love older men

Conquistador_del_mar
07-31-2009, 12:06 PM
You thought I was crossing over - didn't you? - lol
I needed to have the receiver hitch welded to the frame of a truck I recently bought (I don't trust the simple bolts), and my wire feed welder wouldn't do the trick. A man came recommended to me so I called him, and he drove over with his rig and did a beautiful job in our Texas heat yesterday afternoon. 20 years ago, Don used to help design and install receiver hitches in California for Equilizer, Draw-Tite, and Reese until the state came out with a new law that made shops "guarantee" any welds on vehicles. Since his shop specialized in welding, he was forced to get the new liability policy which jumped from $1800/year to $84,000/year which forced him to leave the state and come to Texas - lucky us! Don is 70 years old and can weld anything - he laughed with his old line "I used to tell people I can weld anything from a broken heart to the crack of dawn" - too funny. He reminded me of a 72 year old man who also came recommended to me a couple years ago for blowing more insulation in my house. I was told that you don't have to check up on his work - he would get every hard to reach place in the attic (and he did on that hot summer day). Orville is also of the old school work ethic - do it right the first time. Both of these jovial 70+ year old men exemplify what I most admire most in workers - do what you say you are going to do, and do it right! (their upbeat attitude was frosting on the cake) I just had to share this. Bill

MOP
07-31-2009, 12:37 PM
I know I will ruffle a few feathers as usual but the folks under 40 years of age is what I call the Gimee Group, they expect everything to be handed to them. Words from a guy 1/2 tick from 70!

Phil

Ghost
07-31-2009, 12:44 PM
You thought I was crossing over - didn't you?

LOL, nah, just coming clean. :)

gcarter
07-31-2009, 05:38 PM
"I used to tell people I can weld anything from a broken heart to the crack of dawn" Bill
My dad, who was a life long musician, professional pilot, and world class welder, passed away about six years ago just 10 days shy of 90.
He told me that saying when I was a teenager.
It has to be something generational.

Conquistador_del_mar
07-31-2009, 07:27 PM
My dad, who was a life long musician, professional pilot, and world class welder, passed away about six years ago just 10 days shy of 90.
He told me that saying when I was a teenager.
It has to be something generational.

I guess it must be. I thought it was his own expression that I found amusing. Bill