PDA

View Full Version : Yeah I am getting old BUT!!!!

MOP
07-29-2009, 05:32 PM
Today I swapped in a new steering cable on my 22, last year Mario was driving and thought it had a fair bit of play. Today I measured at the wheels outer edge had 2-1/4" play engine off, I did not think the play was bad and it was silky smooth. Anyway I decided to do the deed heck I have changed out a couple of hundred over the years, I wanted to see if I could still pull off decent time on a job. Set my stop watch and tore into it only to start:cussball::cussball::cussball: A bloody storm!!! When Donzi rigged the boat they used i-1/4" PVC to hold up the wires S/T cables and the steering cable, will that leaves you with no room to pull the cable through!! Left me with few choices, cutting the wires and possibly removing the S/T cables that was a NOT!!! Got out my Sabre saw with a 24 tooth blade (used uo two) and cut the cable in two aft took a good 20 minutes, Ok then it is :wrench: wrestling time with the ram end in tight quarters get both nuts off and pulled the bugger out! Before I had started I had tried to see numbers but they were turned the wrong was behind the dash amongst all the wires and what ever's, cable is dated 7-85 exactly 24 years old. Put the tape measure to it again a wiggly hair under 2" Now think how the play is magnified out at the out edge of the wheel, so the play was not bad but the piece of mind gained was worth the time and effort!! Oh back to the stop watch start to finish including a 2 mile run to the oarts house cable was waiting that went quick 2 hours 15 minutes on the button I think damn good for a guy a half a tick from 70!:wink:

olredalert
07-29-2009, 06:38 PM
------Phil,,,At least they used PVC with yours. In my Spitfire they used a cardboard tube and ran all the front to back wiring along with the steering cable thru it. Obviously, there are problems with a 34 year old cardboard tube. Another one of those "what were they thinking" times!!! :mad: .......Bill S

HOWARD O
07-29-2009, 07:22 PM
Good time, Phil!

If I recall correctly, my brother and I discovered that they had used paint stir sticks as backing for the shoe box joint screws on his '69 16'. :boggled:

Ghost
07-29-2009, 08:25 PM
Faster and better than I could do it, if I could even do it at all.

DonziBuoy
07-29-2009, 08:31 PM
Gee, if Phil was charging for services at say $100 an hour that would only be $250, whereas any other marina that same job would have taken 10 hours time and that bill would have been $1000.

Just Say N20
07-29-2009, 09:54 PM
At the moment, I could change mine in about 20 minutes. :confused:

Of course the deck is OFF the boat, which makes the job considerably easier :yes:.

I suppose to be fair, I would have to add the time involved in removing the deck, which would make the total. . . .

. . . about 4 weeks! :kingme:

Congratulations!

Planetwarmer
07-29-2009, 10:14 PM
Is the steering smoother? My 87 is has pretty stiff steering with about 2.5 inches of play.

I have the "Big T" helm and an Alpha drive

Conquistador_del_mar
07-29-2009, 10:33 PM
I always like to say I am getting older - not old. Saying I am getting old makes it a final stage instead of just the process - :thumbsup:
Steering confidence is more important in my book than any other component of the boat - short of hull integrity maybe. Good job - fast, too. Bill

Ghost
07-29-2009, 10:36 PM
I always like to say I am getting older - not old. Saying I am getting old makes it a final stage instead of just the process - :thumbsup:
Steering confidence is more important in my book than any other component of the boat - short of hull integrity maybe. Good job - fast, too. Bill

I'll pile on with another angle to that. You're either getting older or you're dead. So, "getting older" is just another way to say you're living.

Lenny
07-29-2009, 10:46 PM
Nice Phil :yes:

f_inscreenname
07-30-2009, 06:57 AM
Phil
I'll be 41 next week but I want to be just like you when I grow up.:wink:

MOP
07-30-2009, 08:45 AM
Is the steering smoother? My 87 is has pretty stiff steering with about 2.5 inches of play.

I have the "Big T" helm and an Alpha drive

You need a cable 2-1/2" is more play then I had in mine, welcome to my club hopefully yours will not have to be cut to remove it. Pain in the butt, but you will feel so much better!

I bet like mine it is the original cable!!!!!!

Ghost
07-30-2009, 10:30 AM
Phil
I'll be 41 next week but I want to be just like you when I grow up.:wink:

CLUB 41, woohoo!!

BigGrizzly
07-30-2009, 07:27 PM
Phil that is good. when I took mine off I used a cutoff tool, taked no tine at all. Of course like you I had to try to remoce it in one piece. NEVER again. Now with hydraulic no cables.:)