PDA

View Full Version : Y pipe gasket

BlakeSullivan
07-29-2009, 02:06 PM
Well just purchased a sweet 16 (99) and ran it on the hose, no leaks but put it in the water and without even starting the motor the bilge starts to fill up, by process of elimination i know its not any of the gimbles and have come to the conclusion that where the Y pipe connects to the outdrive through the transom is where my problem is, I have a feeling the gasket is blown. My question is does the motor have to come out to fix this problem or is there any easier way. Thanks for any help Blake Sullivan

mrfixxall
07-29-2009, 03:47 PM
Well just purchased a sweet 16 (99) and ran it on the hose, no leaks but put it in the water and without even starting the motor the bilge starts to fill up, by process of elimination i know its not any of the gimbles and have come to the conclusion that where the Y pipe connects to the outdrive through the transom is where my problem is, I have a feeling the gasket is blown. My question is does the motor have to come out to fix this problem or is there any easier way. Thanks for any help Blake Sullivan

Blake,if you have a 4.3 liter then the bolts may have viberated loose..Also somtimes the rubber flappers fall int the y pipe and ware a hole in it over time..Your best bet is to remove the engine and that's the only way to access the bolts,whyle its out inspect for holes also..Make sure you loctight the boltswhen you reinstall the y pipe so they don't come loose anymore..