PDA

View Full Version : Check those AC units

f_inscreenname
07-29-2009, 07:53 AM
Had a bit of an issue last night. My Scottish terrier likes to lay in the utility room in the basement because it’s a concrete floor. Well last night before bed it was time for him to go out and I give him a yell. Out he comes, dripping. Dogs don’t sweat so there’s something wrong with this picture. I head back to the room in a panic. There is the heater/AC unit, dehumidifier, water pump, water softer, hot water heater and sub-pump well all in a row on one wall and there is water on the floor around most of them but the S/P well (go figure). I go down the line eliminating each one, pissed off being I just finished the basement 6 months ago and installed a bunch of new plumping, fixed a lot of the old stuff and even replaced the H/W heater. This should not be happening.
I get to the heater and in the back of my head I am remembering what happened to my boss’s house a couple weeks ago. The little water drain line for the A/C that comes off the unit got clogged with who knows what and the water was just poured over the catch tray. And that’s what it was. A simple fix if you catch it. Mine ended up being a few puddles on the concrete floor. My boss’s house, he was out of town for a couple days. Let’s just say the insurance company is heavily involved.
So check those drain lines.:bonk:

SilverBack
07-29-2009, 08:01 AM
Ours sits over a drip pan with a float switch. Pretty common here actually, water hits it and it shuts the unit down..

A little bleach every so often in ours keeps the mung from plugging it, not sure if that works in your case though since I have ZERO basement experience..

Yes..blown insulation and those air condition drains don't get along too well. That drip pan and cut off float switch is the only way to go. Most of the time they are in the attic around here and I have had several friends come back from vacation and have the ceiling falling out and a ruined floor.

gcarter
07-29-2009, 08:20 AM
I came into the office one morning a few weeks ago and the AC was off (NOT a happy condition around here) and after checking a few things, I manually manipulated the float switch and the AC came on. I checked the drain and found a mud dauber had started building a nest in it.
AC is manditory for happy employees in July......particularly this one! :boggled: