PDA

View Full Version : Center to Center on CMI's and SSM big blocks

Lenny
07-28-2009, 07:34 PM
Does anyone have the centerline to centerline measurements available to the top of the risers ( ie: distance apart on center) for a BBC, both SSM and CMI please :)

Height I do not care about.

BUIZILLA
07-28-2009, 07:41 PM
which Gen block?

Lenny
07-28-2009, 09:17 PM
These are for riser/hatch clearances Jim, just get me close :D ...for a mold

Within 1" on center. Basically 502/HP500 or a built up 540 base.

Why didn't you tell me the Minx LE was still for sale :(

BUIZILLA
07-29-2009, 06:39 AM
Why didn't you tell me the Minx LE was still for sale :( which one?, there was/still is 3 for sale out there...

Lenny
07-29-2009, 09:21 AM
Your old one...

measurements ?

The Hedgehog
07-29-2009, 09:49 AM
I can get you measurements from mine with CMI's. It is a short deck 540. It does have big heads though.

Let me know if you want them. I am heading out to the marina this afternoon to do a few things. I had not planned to crawl into the ZX but it is no problem.

Lenny
07-29-2009, 11:09 AM
Please :)

roadtrip se
07-29-2009, 11:15 AM
Boat in Michigan, engine in Sarasota, and me in Kentucky.

We should all be in the same place in the next two weeks or so.

Let me know...

The Hedgehog
07-29-2009, 01:48 PM
Please :)

Will do.

My measurements should come up to something similar as the guy that is having his 500EFI freshened. I have heard that it is good to put alum heads on a 500EFI when you freshen it. It improves the reliability. Unfortunately, they have been known to make more hp after that. I have been told that is not might not be a bad thing on the other hand.

Off to go run some errands and stop by to see what Firstafence has going on.

roadtrip se
07-29-2009, 03:47 PM
[QUOTE=The Hedgehog;527973]
My measurements should come up to something similar as the guy that is having his 500EFI freshened. I have heard that it is good to put alum heads on a 500EFI when you freshen it. It improves the reliability. Unfortunately, they have been known to make more hp after that. I have been told that is not might not be a bad thing on the other hand.
QUOTE]

If I were one of those guys looking to refresh a 500, I would imagine the dimensions would be very close to a short stack 540 in a 26zx. As for the alum heads thingy, different conversation for someone who just might be refreshing a 500, but some would say iron is just fine and reliable all the same in the hands of the right "refresher". And then of course, there is that whole definition on what "stock" power can mean in these circles full of sandbagger legacy and stories yet to be told full of fact and fiction mixed together to all become the truth as documented on these very pages....

Lenny
07-29-2009, 04:09 PM
And then of course, there is that whole definition on what "stock" power can mean in these circles full of sandbagger legacy and stories yet to be told full of fact and fiction mixed together to all become the truth as documented on these very pages....

...got that right :yes:

The Hedgehog
07-29-2009, 04:48 PM
Buiz is 18' away from at least one set of SSM's that he could measure...
And aluminum heads are over rated...

Nothing wrong at all with a good set of iron heads with the right treatments. They work great for freshening exercises and don't mind boost. In my case though they get kind of hot and unforgiving when heated up.

The Hedgehog
07-29-2009, 04:51 PM
FYI, we just got back from Firstafence's 22. Tip to tip on the outside at the stern was 30 and 3/8" He has SM's with the long risers. They don't appear to turn in. We were unable to get your exact measurement as his manifolds were off for midsummer tuning fun.

Lenny
07-29-2009, 05:41 PM
Hedge, tip to tip on the outside? You mean 4" pipes, so I can deduce from that 26" ??? ( 2" to the center of each ? ) or was that a centerline measurement?

Close is good, this is not a rocket science thing for what I am doing.

firstafence
07-29-2009, 06:05 PM
Hedge, tip to tip on the outside? You mean 4" pipes, so I can deduce from that 26" ??? ( 2" to the center of each ? ) or was that a centerline measurement?

Close is good, this is not a rocket science thing for what I am doing.

yes the first part is right. it was not a centerline measurement.:wink:

The Hedgehog
07-29-2009, 06:53 PM
Yep, First has it right, but then he did do the measurement.

Now for the CMI's 28.5 in the middle. It is kind of a screwy measurement though because the CMI's are offset.

Lenny
07-29-2009, 10:01 PM
Thanks for that :yes: now watch what happens ;)