PDA

View Full Version : Having issues

burgettw
07-27-2009, 02:46 PM
Took boat out yesterday after getting overheating issues fixed and I didnt even take it off the trailer because did ot want to get pulled back in again btu anyways when it goes in foward gear it just chokes itself and with more throttle jsut does same thing and in reverse it does the same but will kill in few seconds. does anyone have any idea what it could be? it idles just fine very responsive but only when in gear it does that I have adjusted the linkages one way to the other and still nothing.

mrfixxall
07-27-2009, 02:58 PM
Took boat out yesterday after getting overheating issues fixed and I didnt even take it off the trailer because did ot want to get pulled back in again btu anyways when it goes in foward gear it just chokes itself and with more throttle jsut does same thing and in reverse it does the same but will kill in few seconds. does anyone have any idea what it could be? it idles just fine very responsive but only when in gear it does that I have adjusted the linkages one way to the other and still nothing.

if it runs fine out of gear and when you put it into gear and it wants to die with no pressure on the prop then i would say you have a binding isssue.

may be a drive aleignment,coupler bindine with the gimbal bearing,gimbal bearing froze,or a frozen or tight bearing in the drive?? pull the drive and see if everything turns freely..

VetteLT193
07-27-2009, 03:00 PM
what kind of drive do you have? did you forget the thrust washer behind the prop?

mrfixxall
07-27-2009, 03:07 PM
what kind of drive do you have? did you forget the thrust washer behind the prop?

vette,he has a cobra drive...i remember he hit somthing last month or somthing to that effect,,or somthing was leakingout of his out drive.

burgettw
07-27-2009, 03:15 PM
vette,he has a cobra drive...i remember he hit somthing last month or somthing to that effect,,or somthing was leakingout of his out drive.

No sir I did not forget the thrust washer and yes sir it is a cobra drive...and I had a water problem in drive and oil was coming out weep hole but got all that fixed now this and not exactly sure what it is we took the drive off but it went back on easy as pie and everything was soinning freely...this boat is very aggravating havent even got to use it yet had so many problems

mrfixxall
07-27-2009, 03:20 PM
No sir I did not forget the thrust washer and yes sir it is a cobra drive...and I had a water problem in drive and oil was coming out weep hole but got all that fixed now this and not exactly sure what it is we took the drive off but it went back on easy as pie and everything was soinning freely...this boat is very aggravating havent even got to use it yet had so many problems

i had a boat (my insurance mans boat) it would rev all day long on the trailer,once under load it would starve and die..it ended up being the pick up tube in the fuel tank..it was a alunimum tube and was cracked at the threads..got the upbated one which was plastic and now runs perfect:)

burgettw
07-27-2009, 03:23 PM
i had a boat (my insurance mans boat) it would rev all day long on the trailer,once under load it would starve and die..it ended up being the pick up tube in the fuel tank..it was a alunimum tube and was cracked at the threads..got the upbated one which was plastic and now runs perfect:)

K. Ill check that. anything is possible at this point thanks!

mrfixxall
07-27-2009, 03:34 PM
K. Ill check that. anything is possible at this point thanks!

do you know what style carberator is on the boat,Q-jet or a webber/carter?

burgettw
07-28-2009, 06:51 AM
Drive was down right?

Yea sir drive all the way down and I have a eldebrock 500 brand new carb I took q-jet off I was having trouble with idle but last night I was checking it and on the trailer like mrfixxall said it worked just fine but in water was only time it chocked itself but fuel seemed ok for pick up tube...in gear and boat off the prop having too much play for my comfort so im wondering if something in the outdrive just isnt lined up when I put it back on or just in the shifting linkage

Phil S
07-28-2009, 07:27 AM
from your description in first post, it could be the ESA switch hanging up on the linkage somehow....mine has acted that way b4. i liberally lubed all the pivot points on the rocker arm that activate the switch, and the problem went away......i hope it's something simple like that....
Phil

MOP
07-28-2009, 08:08 AM
If it is running nice out of gear it is in the setup. The drive cable must be properly positioned with a gauge that fits into the gimble. Then you must go through the proper cable and switch alignment procedure, you need the manual and the gauge to get it right! Also the correct ignition pack and the RED converter to drive cable is a must!

You may find a little help here: http://www.hastings.org/~stuart/cobra/

burgettw
07-28-2009, 11:44 AM
If it is running nice out of gear it is in the setup. The drive cable must be properly positioned with a gauge that fits into the gimble. Then you must go through the proper cable and switch alignment procedure, you need the manual and the gauge to get it right! Also the correct ignition pack and the RED converter to drive cable is a must!

You may find a little help here: http://www.hastings.org/~stuart/cobra/

This is making my day bad one more time lol all that info does not seem good but maybe just something simple im gonna keep my fingers crossed