PDA

View Full Version : Z-20 vs Z-22 open bow

dirt.boy
07-27-2009, 09:29 AM
Which would be better for family outings (cruising, tubing, skiing, etc)?

The 20 would be easy to store, haul and probably better ski wake....
The 22 would be nice for the occasional trip to Lake Superior......

From pictures it doesn't look like the 22 has that much more room to bring along another family...

What about performance?
Does the 22 need the big block?
Does the 20 need the 350?
I know need is a loaded word, of course I more is better but you can't have it all when looking for a used boat.

Thanks,
Greg

PS I'm in MN if you got something to sell.

mikev
07-27-2009, 09:41 AM
I have a 19' regazza bow rider and its great but you run out of space quick once you bring your family friends and all the toys. i would go with the 22 towing and storing you wont really notice a difference of 2 feet but on the boat out on the lake you will. if your doing any tubing or skiing you will need the 350 to pull skiers out of the water.

dirt.boy
07-28-2009, 09:26 AM
Thanks for the input!

I agree out of the water the is little difference. And you have me leaning towards the 22

I am wondering about the 22's ability to be a family ski boat. I have always had 17-18 foot runabouts or 26 foot cabin cruiser. I don't have any experience with stuff in the middle.

I would also like to hear someone experience with the 5.7l in 3300 pound boat. A couple of the Z22's I have seen have had stern drive hydrafoils or stern jack plates, makes we wonder if the big block wouldn't better a better plan. Although I have yet to see the big block in an open bow.

Greg

mikev
07-28-2009, 10:36 AM
I have a hydrofoil on my as well just keeps the bow down when planing and give nice stern lift when tubing, skiing. In my case the biggest plus is when all the grown ups want to sit in the back and there is no weight up front it greatly smooths out the ride in rough water. The only negative i have heard is they cut a mile or two and hour off top speed, but in experimenting with mine I see no difference in top speed on or off so but rides much worse in the rough with it off so in my opinion no negatives only positives with it. They are easy to take on and off so if it comes with one run it a while then take if off see if it makes a difference I bet you put it back on though.