PDA

View Full Version : 100+ mph break down?

The Hedgehog
07-27-2009, 08:13 AM
What exactly does it feel like in a 30 ft and under boat? I remember Geo talking about losing a prop blade at 100+. He said it was pretty scary and he wore a ballistic shoot.

I would imaging that blowing a drive or an engine at that speed would be pretty bad indeed.

My boat likes to be eased out of orbit.

BlownCrewCab
07-27-2009, 08:31 AM
Well, in a 26 Corsa going 80+mph turning 6K+ and throwning a Con Rod it makes a sound like GGGGGGGGGKKKKKKKKKKGGGGGGGGKKKKK, K, K, K, K, g,g, Then the auto bilge pump comes on and pumps all the red amsoil out that was in the oil pan, but as far as handling it was just like you pulled the throttle back. I'm sure some flighty pad bottom boats are more exciting (Keith) but a Real V bottom is no big deal....

MOP
07-27-2009, 08:36 AM
It has to be very scary!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just think about what happens when you chop the throttle at planning speeds, we have all done it and try not to do it again! At the speeds some of the guys are going they need special gear or they may not make it through something that happens! Like Geo there comes a time when reasoning takes hold!

f_inscreenname
07-27-2009, 09:13 AM
I can’t say I have broken…. at a hundred but WOT has happened a couple times. Motor or drive and it usually just coming to an unscheduled stop. Breaking a steering cable at WOT was another experience I never want to do again. That was a sudden out of control stop. :boggled:

SilverBack
07-27-2009, 09:23 AM
Well...let me tell you..it is no fun at all!! But take heart...you can have this experience yourself:wink:......just run it up over 100 mph and very very very quickly jerk the throttle back to about quarter throttle. There is really not any driving to do..it is more like hanging on. I never felt like I was going to hit the water but then again the guys that I know that have hit the water a few times say that you never really feel like it is (going) to happen. You are just in the boat one second and in the water the next. That stuff seems to run through your mind at that time. By the time you start thinking that stuff you are probably out of danger of being ejected. Then a few seconds later you get to hear your engine making the same popping noise that you heard the last time you were on the water and then your blood pressure goes up and you see red for a few minutes and then you take a deep breath and call your wife to come and pick you up and think about all the progress you made and how much better the boat is getting and how you wish a thousand times that you had never heard the words DAVID WADE....you wonder if the jail time would be worth it to go and kick his ass:angel:...

All in all it is not the end of the world....It is basically like I chopped the throttle really hard like MOP said. My engine has not completely grenaded so that may be worse but when you loses a cylinder it is still no fun.

SilverBack
07-27-2009, 09:25 AM
I can’t say I have broken…. at a hundred but WOT has happened a couple times. Motor or drive and it usually just coming to an unscheduled stop. Breaking a steering cable at WOT was another experience I never want to do again. That was a sudden out of control stop. :boggled:

I would think that steering or a gimble would really be bad!! I have heard some really bad stories.

Sweet Cheekz
07-27-2009, 10:45 AM
I had a merc promax go into guardian mode on my skater at 100 and it made a big left turn Not comfortable
Parnell

The Hedgehog
07-27-2009, 11:07 AM
Yeah, I had mine go into auto enrichment as I was decellerating at 93 before I had some tuning bugs worked out. It was not all that hard to control but probably not good for the drive.

Not to be suggesting that you are going to put an eye out or anything, but you may want to consider a ballistic chute and jacket combo until you get those gremlins worked out.

Another thing to consider is some bigger injectors. I read somewhere that you had Marc Boos lift the rev limiter and claim to be getting 980 hp now. From what I have been told, those 55lb injectors run start out of juice in the mid 800 hp range. I sure would hate to see you lean out that whole engine at 6,000 rpm. That would make much worse noise than busting a rocker stud. :shocking:

From a reference perspective, my 540 made 942 hp at 6,200 with 64 lb injectors. To pull 980hp from a 502 you will have to spin it to the moon with a 3.85 pulley and you will be needing to jack up the fuel pressure pretty high to keep those AFR's in check.

Just a little food for thought on your quest for 110 mph.

SilverBack
07-27-2009, 11:17 AM
Yeah, I had mine go into auto enrichment as I was decellerating at 93 before I had some tuning bugs worked out. It was not all that hard to control but probably not good for the drive.

Not to be suggesting that you are going to put an eye out or anything, but you may want to consider a ballistic chute and jacket combo until you get those gremlins worked out.

Another thing to consider is some bigger injectors. I read somewhere that you had Marc Boos lift the rev limiter and claim to be getting 980 hp now. From what I have been told, those 55lb injectors run start out of juice in the mid 800 hp range. I sure would hate to see you lean out that whole engine at 6,000 rpm. That would make much worse noise than busting a rocker stud. :shocking:

From a reference perspective, my 540 made 942 hp at 6,200 with 64 lb injectors. To pull 980hp from a 502 you will have to spin it to the moon with a 3.85 pulley and you will be needing to jack up the fuel pressure pretty high to keep those AFR's in check.

Just a little food for thought on your quest for 110 mph.

If I ever stated that I had 980 HP that was my mistake. That is not the case. The 55lb injectors do start running out of pulse width from what I have been told but that is when you maintain 42 lbs of fuel pressure. I did have it set to just stay at 42 lbs but I see that Mark has it boost referencing and it was getting up over 60 lbs of fuel pressure the other day. I think the real HP number is in the 940 or 950 range at the higher rpm but I have not turned the engine that high in the boat.

gold-n-rod
07-27-2009, 11:19 AM
Never broke, but I did discover that sudden, violent chine walking @ 113 will cause me to NEVER ride in that persons boat again :nilly: :nilly:

Was there any shorts soilage? I woulda!!! :shocking:

gold-n-rod
07-27-2009, 11:20 AM
I've wondered about a violent engine episode where parts exit the block and pierce the hull; is that possible in a typical go fast boat?

The Hedgehog
07-27-2009, 11:23 AM
If I ever stated that I had 980 HP that was my mistake. That is not the case. The 55lb injectors do start running out of pulse width from what I have been told but that is when you maintain 42 lbs of fuel pressure. I did have it set to just stay at 42 lbs but I see that Mark has it boost referencing and it was getting up over 60 lbs of fuel pressure the other day. I think the real HP number is in the 940 or 950 range at the higher rpm but I have not turned the engine that high in the boat.

The 850 SCI is gone!! I hope that Tex did not get that engine decal made yet!!

We decided to raise the rev limiter and it is now more like a 980 SCI!! I am picking up the boat on Thursday and Mark raised the rev limiter today. It is time to let that BIG DOG hunt!!!

Just quoting you in your own thread big dog!:shark:

SilverBack
07-27-2009, 11:34 AM
The 850 SCI is gone!! I hope that Tex did not get that engine decal made yet!!

We decided to raise the rev limiter and it is now more like a 980 SCI!! I am picking up the boat on Thursday and Mark raised the rev limiter today. It is time to let that BIG DOG hunt!!!

Just quoting you in your own thread big dog!:shark:

I fixed it on that thread. I didn't mean to step on your toes!!:wink: Thanks though...it is nice to have friends to look out for you!! Good Catch!!:kingme:

Rodger
07-27-2009, 08:20 PM
I don't know about 100 MPH but I can tell you about an incident that happened to my wife and I at about 50 MPH.
The year was 1980 and we were in my 1966 16" Donzi which had an Eaton drive. Some of you, I'm sure, are familiar with old Eaton drives that pivot to place the prop at a 12 o' clock position for trailering. These drives are held into the transom housing by a single .750" pin that has a snap-ring groove which, of course creates a stress concentratrion at that point.
We were cruising across Lake Geneva, WI.; I was driving and my wife was in the 'L' seat at the front position facing toward the transom when suddenly the boat went into a spin. Her body was about half way out the side of the boat and still moving but I had been thrown from my seat toward her and smashed into her legs preventing her from completely exiting the boat. Now I am lying on the floor listening to the engine screaming and can see the tach pinned so naturally, I reached up and turned the key to kill the engine. So as you have probably guessed, the pin broke and the drive fell off. My wife, since she was facing toward the rear, saw the drive do 3 flips in the air with the 10' gear cable attached and then plunge into the water.....gone.
Now we are sitting still while water is pouring through the 8" transom housing hole into the bildge. The boat is sinking extremely fast where the lake is 90' in depth. Fortunately we are with 2 other boats. I hold a life jacket over the hole in an attempt to slow the water entrance while my friend in the other boat quickley ties a rope to my bow eye and tows me near shore where the boat settles on the bottom in about 4' of water depth. The other boat retrieved all the stuff from my boat that was floating away, including the interior, as we gradually sank while being towed.
I'll stop here for now. Getting the boat back across the lake and retrieving the drive are another story.
I imagine this story would be enhanced further if the speed was 100 MPH.

The Hedgehog
07-27-2009, 08:23 PM
I don't know about 100 MPH but I can tell you about an incident that happened to my wife and I at about 50 MPH.
The year was 1980 and we were in my 1966 16" Donzi which had an Eaton drive. Some of you, I'm sure, are familiar with old Eaton drives that pivot to place the prop at a 12 o' clock position for trailering. These drives are held into the transom housing by a single .750" pin that has a snap-ring groove which, of course creates a stress concentratrion at that point.
We were cruising across Lake Geneva, WI.; I was driving and my wife was in the 'L' seat at the front position facing toward the transom when suddenly the boat went into a spin. Her body was about half way out the side of the boat and still moving but I had been thrown from my seat toward her and smashed into her legs preventing her from completely exiting the boat. Now I am lying on the floor listening to the engine screaming and can see the tach pinned so naturally, I reached up and turned the key to kill the engine. So as you have probably guessed, the pin broke and the drive fell off. My wife, since she was facing toward the rear, saw the drive do 3 flips in the air with the 10' gear cable attached and then plunge into the water.....gone.
Now we are sitting still while water is pouring through the 8" transom housing hole into the bildge. The boat is sinking extremely fast where the lake is 90' in depth. Fortunately we are with 2 other boats. I hold a life jacket over the hole in an attempt to slow the water entrance while my friend in the other boat quickley ties a rope to my bow eye and tows me near shore where the boat settles on the bottom in about 4' of water depth. The other boat retrieved all the stuff from my boat that was floating away, including the interior, as we gradually sank while being towed.
I'll stop here for now. Getting the boat back across the lake and retrieving the drive are another story.

That is a terrible story Roger.

The outcome could have been much worse

BlownCrewCab
07-27-2009, 08:26 PM
Wow Rodger, thats quite the boat ride, glad you all are Okay......

BUIZILLA
07-27-2009, 08:28 PM
one of you Z guys is going to make the nightly news...

SilverBack
07-27-2009, 08:38 PM

Wow...that is a STORY!! How long did it take for your wife to get back into boating? That would be terrible. I am glad that you were not hurt and that you had the two other boats!!

SilverBack
07-27-2009, 08:46 PM
one of you Z guys is going to make the nightly news...It takes a while for this thing to get going but you will see that what we are doing is child's play!! Look at these skiers with other boats all around them. These things get up over 100 MPH.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxJBB3NyBrg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hg_yLI5F8KU&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xZmOyQzIQs&feature=related

You get the point!!

Rodger
07-27-2009, 08:47 PM
Wow...that is a STORY!! How long did it take for your wife to get back into boating? That would be terrible. I am glad that you were not hurt and that you had the two other boats!!

29 years later, I am still waiting for her to step back into the boat...just kidding. However, she has not fogotten that incident and is not very interested in a spirited boat ride, although, I have bumped the speed into the 80's a couple times with her in the boat. That does not please her at all.

SilverBack
07-27-2009, 08:51 PM
29 years later, I am still waiting for her to step back into the boat...just kidding. However, she has not fogotten that incident and is not very interested in a spirited boat ride, although, I have bumped the speed into the 80's a couple times with her in the boat. That does not please her at all.

I can imagine that would be the case! The first time that I got my boat up running pretty fast..I think that it was in the 90s she started flagging me down like a maniac...I thought to myself...oh crap something must be wrong and I can't tell it...I got to the pier and she had to give me the urgent news....She told me that I needed to slow down because the boat was no longer in the water and it was going to fly up in the air. She had taken some pictures and I had to show her before she would let me go!!

BigGrizzly
07-28-2009, 11:36 AM
Roger, I had the same thing happen- not fun. Now the 100 breakdown, it all depends on a single twin cat or V or Flat bottom.
Single with a blade going is not fun but not as bad as the drive blowing the lower leg off.

kcatucci
07-28-2009, 01:50 PM
I had something similar happen that taught me a valuable lesson.
I was driving a sea doo speedster with twin 85's. While turning hard to port at about 50 the port engine died. The boat went into a spin and as it went around it came to an abrupt sideways stop. Two of my children, 8 and 12, went over the side. The jackets they were holding went flying. 9 years ago and I can see their little faces under water and rising up for air. Thank God they were just a little shaken up and not injured. **** happens when you least expect it.