PDA

View Full Version : What removes rust stains...

CHACHI
07-27-2009, 06:08 AM
...from gel?

I inherited a Grady White CC for the summer and was giving it a bath this past weekend when I noticed rust spots in the gel on the cockpit floor.

Is there anything on the market I can use to remove these?

Thanks for you help.

Ken

Barry Eller
07-27-2009, 06:53 AM
...from gel?

I inherited a Grady White CC for the summer and was giving it a bath this past weekend when I noticed rust spots in the gel on the cockpit floor.

Is there anything on the market I can use to remove these?

Thanks for you help.

Ken
"Wink"...You can get it in most grocery stores or Wally World. It is in the laundry detergent section, brown bottle. Also "Lime-A-Way" works good on light rust stains and scum lines. Most of these products have acid in them.

gcarter
07-27-2009, 07:05 AM
Ken, Ironout is in a powder form and contains phosphoric acid. It is formulated for just the problems you are experiencing.
You can get it at most hardware stores in the plumbing dept.
The directions in the box are very comprehensive. There're even laundry instructions.

Barry Eller
07-27-2009, 07:13 AM
I forgot about Ironout. Many years ago, The City of Gulf Breeze was getting water from the City of Pensacola.The pipeline under Pensacola Bay was rusty and everyones laundry was coming out with rust stains. The City furnished everyone with Ironout for our clothes until the problem was resolved. The water was so rusty we could not cook or make coffee with it. Gallons of bottled water was for sale at every store in town!

CHACHI
07-27-2009, 07:57 AM
Thanks for the info. another project for next weekend.

Ken

Canvas Man
07-27-2009, 08:32 AM
Try Rust-Aid from Home Depot. It comes in a gallon or quart and is applied full strength...The rust stains just disapear. It works magic on brown water stains on the hull also, put it in a spray bottle, and squirt some on after you've washed the boat. Let it sit for a minute, then rinse off---It's frigging amazing!

VetteLT193
07-27-2009, 09:00 AM
if it isn't too bad, FSR will work. It's easy to use too.

McGary911
07-27-2009, 09:14 AM
Another vote for IronOut. George pointed me in that direction a few weeks back when I was looking for advice on how to get rust stains off of the patio around my pool. I had to apply several times, but it worked. I tried a bunch of other products that didn't even fade the stains.

MOP
07-27-2009, 11:00 AM
I have tried them all I still like Wink, comes in a little green bottle by the washing products!

LKSD
07-28-2009, 11:27 AM
Interlux stain remover has worked as well.. :) Jamie

Cuda
07-28-2009, 12:43 PM
if it isn't too bad, FSR will work. It's easy to use too.
Another vote for FSR.

Phosophoric acid is the same thing used in Sno-bowl and the like.