PDA

View Full Version : 4.3 starter

BlakeSullivan
07-26-2009, 11:49 AM
Hi Im new to the group but have found this message board extremely help-full but i have reached a hard spot. I have a 16 Donzi (1998) with the 4.3 and the starter is really hard to get to much less remove, any tricks of the trade with this issue. Thanks for any help, Blake Sullivan

MOP
07-26-2009, 12:22 PM
I had to swap the starter in my 16, there is no way to get next to the engine and be able to move. What I did was to put a couple of layers of cardboard (the only thing on hand) over the top of the engine then laid over the top and was able to get at things. got it loose let it drop in the bilge then got myself up and reached under for the starter. Now that was the easy part!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! After tearing into my 3 month old starter only to find the brush holder assy had shattered I went an bought a new one. geting the new one back can only explained by BLOOD, SWEAT AND :cussball::cussball: took about 10 minutes to get it unbolted and dropped into the bilge, but took about 20 minutes to finally get the bolts started. By the time I was done the bilge on that side looked like it had a spatter paint job in Bright Red!
<br>
On a side note Ford starters go back in quite easy using an old trick, take a 3/8" threaded rod get it into the upper bolt hole then you can slide the starter up to the get it where you can get the bottom bolt in. GM starters in almost any boat are just a plain BIOCH! but I have changed more of them then Fords.

BlakeSullivan
07-26-2009, 05:17 PM
Thanks for your help Im going to try it tomorrow

chip w
07-26-2009, 07:20 PM
Or find a real skinny guy like me to get down in the hull next to the motor!