PDA

View Full Version : Crank Mount Pump ID - Questions

EricG
07-25-2009, 07:00 PM
I made the attempt today to start the 18 for the first time in 2 years...and it appears I've got a bit of a cooling problem.

The boat actually started just fine (on the hose), but after not getting any water output, I shut it down to investigate.

So, here's my situation:

350, Crank Mount Pump, intake via 280 Volvo Drive, Circ pump on motor as well (not a crossover).

I removed the intake from the Crank mount pump - and ran the water back into the hose and got water out of the drive - confirmed no blockage on the intake side.

Hooked the intake back up and unhooked the output side, rant the crank a bit with the hose on the drive, pump seemed to pump from the drive.

Hooked all lines back up and tried boat again, got flow out of the exhaust this time, and then realized that I'd left the drains in the manifolds open when I winterized it, as water was pooring out of drains....

Closed the drains in the manifolds and re-fired, and now get no water flow out of exhaust.

I've never replaced the Impeller in the Raw water pump...so I figure I'll start there. Trouble is, boat is 30 minutes away, and my time is far too limited due to parenting duties...

So, can someone ID the pump in this picture, and provide a part number for an impeller by chance?

Also, any tips on replacing the impeller...or any other ideas.

I have managed to figure out a way to get to go boating this weekend...but I guess the idea of the boat being ready to go with only a few hours of work were a bit optimistic...Thanks!

EG

JimG
07-26-2009, 06:31 AM
Eric, Keith and I installed that pump. It's either a F5B9 or a F6B9. Remove the cover plate to be sure. The model number is stamped there. (four screws to remove)

http://www.starmarinedepot.com/Johnson+Pump+F5B-9+Cooling+Pump.html

I have the F6B9. My impeller is a Johnson 9-812B. If it's a F5B9 it will be a 09-801B.

That's a good pump. If the engine is running, it will be pumping. Change the impeller, it's probably taken a set after sitting for two years.

Good luck!

Jim

MOP
07-26-2009, 07:12 AM
Check your oil cooler for errant rubber pieces, the can be a pain not allowing enough water to flow through.
Taking two screw drivers one from each side to lever the impeller out makes it an easy removal.

EricG
07-27-2009, 12:12 AM
Thanks for the responses (it's handy when you buy a boat from another member :wink:)...I got the pump out today, it's an F6B9...

The Impeller really doesn't seem bad, is it possible to be bad without any visible signs of wear or failure? The reason I ask, is that in looking at the plumbing of my cooling system, it appears that the risers are fed off of a "T" before the inlet even enters the engine? And if that is the case, then it's obvious that it's got to be the pump, as the exhaust is totally dry...

Anyway, I guess I'll get a new impeller tomorrow and give that a shot first...

EG

JimG
07-27-2009, 05:58 AM
Eric, yes it's possible for the impeller to look fine but not have enough mojo to pull the water from the drive. Are you on muffs? Or in the water?

I had some issues pulling from muffs, if my impeller wasn't spanky new. No problem when the boat was in the water, but I'm a flushing fanatic so I had to find a solution.

I eliminated the problem by installing a tee in the intake hose, with a valve. I hook a hose up, open the valve and start the motor. Even if my impeller isn't brand new, and has taken a slight set, I have good water flow.

Jim

MOP
07-27-2009, 07:23 AM
The off and on water is strange!! How long did you let it run? It does take a little longer then most think for the water to start coming out of the pipes, it is far from instantaneous!. As to the impeller rule of thumb soft and looking good still means change it every two years need it or not. Impellers will let you down at the worst times! Phil

EricG
07-27-2009, 10:10 AM
Thanks again for the responses...I'm really thinking the combination of a 5+ year-old impeller combined with the use of muffs may be causing my issue. Since it did work after "priming" the pump with some testing...that makes me feel like the muffs may be taxing my impeller beyond it's capabilities.

Any reason why submerging the drive in a big rubbermaid shouldn't work? After I replace the impeller BTW....

Lenny
07-27-2009, 10:19 AM
Any reason why submerging the drive in a big rubbermaid shouldn't work? After I replace the impeller BTW....

THAT is all I do Eric, I never use muffs. The Volvo/crank mounted pump will pull enough water that when your hose is on FULL and you are above idle, it will draw more than the house can provide. Rubbermaid container is the way to go. :yes:

Get the largest one you can find as the length and depth of the drive is large.

Welcome back :D say hi to Kathy and ??? ... from us.

Lenny and Deneen

EricG
07-27-2009, 10:33 AM
Welcome back :D say hi to Kathy and ??? ... from us.

Lenny and Deneen

Thanks Lenny...I'll be heading to target tonight to grab a coffin sized Rubbermaid (that's going to be harder to carry in the toolbox than the muffs though :bonk:)

One of the main motivators of this little project is that JAKE is going to be taking his first boat ride next week...and I want it to be in my boat instead of Grandpa's MasterCraft....:)

EG

EricG
07-29-2009, 09:49 AM
Impeller + Rubbermaid Tub worked great...she's pumpin' water now! :yes:

Thanks all for for your help!

EG