PDA

View Full Version : Hi all...new to Donzi's and time for an intro.

LeadSledMerc
07-24-2009, 07:39 PM
Hi all,
I've been lurking around here for a while and figured it was time to introduce myself...

I live in MA out by Cape Cod. I'm into building old hot rod and custom cars, old bikes and fast old boats...always older stuff.
I sold my Nailhead powered '65 Stevens flatbottom this past winter and picked up the '70 18' Classic 2+3 you see below. I remember seeing a thread on here this past winter wondering who grabbed it so quick off Craigslist out of Long Island, well that was me.
I've always loved Donzi's and always wanted to own one, so here we go!!
The boat needs some work, but from what I've gone through so far it's decent enough mechanically so we can enjoy it for the summer, then I'll go through it this coming winter. Plans are to do some body work and paint, get some more HP out of the 350 SBC that's in it and clean up the cockpit a little.
We had it on a few local lakes, but were able to get up on Lake Winnapisauke, NH this past weekend and had a ball until it spun the prop hub, now I'm trying to find a prop.
Any ways, thanks for all the great info I've gotten off here already while I was out in the shadows. This is a great place and am looking forward to meeting a lot of you guys.
Thanks, Keith

Lenny
07-24-2009, 07:45 PM
Welcome to the Madness :yes: Beautiful boat :eek:

You have yourself a nice one there.

If you are interested, I have an all but NEW SOLAS 21" LH SS prop for that boat and will pay the shipping.

$275 and it is yours. That is about $125 less than BOX new and free shipping.

Again, welcome aboard.

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=11894&d=1117065565

oh, and about 3 others including a Quad IV Volvo hubbed, left.

MOP
07-24-2009, 08:06 PM
Welcome to the may-lay from your Auto-Bio it sounds like You and Ken (DONZI) also from your neck of the woods should get together, you both have very similar interests. You boat does not look like it needs much, have a great summer. Phil

LeadSledMerc
07-24-2009, 08:14 PM
Welcome to the Madness :yes: Beautiful boat :eek:

You have yourself a nice one there.

If you are interested, I have an all but NEW SOLAS 21" LH SS prop for that boat and will pay the shipping.

$275 and it is yours. That is about $125 less than BOX new and free shipping.

Again, welcome aboard.
oh, and about 3 others including a Quad IV Volvo hubbed, left.
Thanks, we just got it going and my wife already loves it. She's not getting beat to hell on 6" chops any more!! haha

Lenny, It's got a 250 Volvo in it and had a 14"x22" LH aluminum prop. The boat plained quick and seemed to handle nice. I'm thinking about finding a 14"x23" alum to get a little more top end and get me through this season with the current engine. Then once I build a new engine, decide where I want to go (onceI try to figure all this new stuff out! haha).
If that makes sense, do you or anyone else have a prop that suits that need?
Thanks again, Keith

SilverBack
07-24-2009, 08:48 PM
Welcome to the board!! Congratulations on the boat! It looks nice!

farmer tx
07-24-2009, 09:01 PM
Lead, Welcome to D.net. We have a 66 Stevens v-drive that we graduated from in 2001,to a 22- Classic for the same reasons. Got any pics of the Stevens handy?

Again welcome aboard, and nice find.
Mark

Lenny
07-24-2009, 09:02 PM
Lenny, It's got a 250 Volvo in it and had a 14"x22" LH aluminum prop. The boat plained quick and seemed to handle nice. I'm thinking about finding a 14"x23" alum to get a little more top end and get me through this season with the current engine. Then once I build a new engine, decide where I want to go (onceI try to figure all this new stuff out! haha).
If that makes sense, do you or anyone else have a prop that suits that need?
Thanks again, Keith

Keith, there is no way you can overspin this prop, unless you have about 400 REAL ponies.. I'll let Grizz chime in. I bought it from him. The aluminum stuff you can spin all day long. When you add about 50 hp to that motor (assuming it is about 300 horse) THEN you will be getting this one up into the 5400's... maybe...

I'll leave it to Grizz.

My thoughts, a "REAL" prop, if in this above design a 19 would be what you want to push as there is NO slip... (about 2%).

Forget what you know about aluminum and all that stuff.

Again, welcome to the madness and the quick education from everyone here that will follow and from those who have already been down this road a thousand times.

:)

LeadSledMerc
07-24-2009, 09:09 PM
Lead, Welcome to D.net. We have a 66 Stevens v-drive that we graduated from in 2001,to a 22- Classic for the same reasons. Got any pics of the Stevens handy?

Again welcome aboard, and nice find.
Mark
Thanks Mark,
Here's a link to my album on the v-driveboat forum.
http://www.v-driveboat.com/vweb/album.php?albumid=104
There's a bunch of pictures from when it had a Hemi in it, then after I redid it. That was a fun boat!

BUIZILLA
07-24-2009, 09:17 PM
good friend of mine in Havasu has a Stevens with a twin turbo 454.... crazzzzy ride..

LeadSledMerc
07-24-2009, 09:18 PM
Keith, there is no way you can overspin this prop, unless you have about 400 REAL ponies.. I'll let Grizz chime in. I bought it from him. The aluminum stuff you can spin all day long. When you add about 50 hp to that motor (assuming it is about 300 horse) THEN you will be getting this one up into the 5400's... maybe...

I'll leave it to Grizz.

My thoughts, a "REAL" prop, if in this above design a 19 would be what you want to push as there is NO slip... (about 2%).

Forget what you know about aluminum and all that stuff.

Again, welcome to the madness and the quick education from everyone here that will follow and from those who have already been down this road a thousand times.

Lenny, a quick education is exactly what I'm looking for. I need to get a prop real fast to get me through the season with the engine I have...I'm down right now.:frown: I can't be losing too many good days in this $hitty east coast summer we've been having. I'm really figuring that the prop I pick up now won't work for me next year, so I don't need to waste money at this point if you know what I mean!
The new engine I'm planning will be at about that 400 HP mark if I stick to plan.
Any suggestions for now?

farmer tx
07-24-2009, 09:34 PM
Can you rehub an aluminum prop? Very nice job on the Stevens, looked at the pics on vdb.com

Lenny
07-24-2009, 10:09 PM
The 21 above will be hard to push, believe me. You will probably see about 4500 rpms (maybe) with your 350 and the 280 assuming a 1:61 drive (which it must be) At 400 ponies, if you get there, then it will be turning but I think within your rpm range.

Do you have trim on the boat (Volvo 280) or just tilt?

(Tilt is what I think)

As stated, I have about 3 other SS props available to you, but time is of the essence obviously.

On another note, our weather (unheard of mind you) has been sunny all but one or two days since the 1st of June. The place is fried and ready to burn :(

The handling and ride and bite characteristics of the right prop for your boat will make you think that you were in a different one, times 10. Seriously.

LeadSledMerc
07-25-2009, 06:20 AM
Can you rehub an aluminum prop? Very nice job on the Stevens, looked at the pics on vdb.com
I was told by a few of the prop repair shops that they don't rehub the old Volvo props any more. They didn't know of anyone that does. I figured that would have been my quickest bet, but no.
Thanks on the Stevens, I hated to see it go...but once I took the Donzi out the first time I felt better.:)

The 21 above will be hard to push, believe me. You will probably see about 4500 rpms (maybe) with your 350 and the 280 assuming a 1:61 drive (which it must be) At 400 ponies, if you get there, then it will be turning but I think within your rpm range.

Do you have trim on the boat (Volvo 280) or just tilt?

(Tilt is what I think)

As stated, I have about 3 other SS props available to you, but time is of the essence obviously.

On another note, our weather (unheard of mind you) has been sunny all but one or two days since the 1st of June. The place is fried and ready to burn :(

The handling and ride and bite characteristics of the right prop for your boat will make you think that you were in a different one, times 10. Seriously.
There is no trim, just tilt with the standard shaft 250 and not thru prop exhaust. I'm assuming it's still 1.61 according to the tag.

Looking on-line for LH rotation 14" I'm limited to a 19" pitch. I have read that with the left hand helm I should stick with the left hand rotation, is this critical for where I am at this point, or could I be looking at changing to RH?
How about 15" dia should I also be looking at those and what pitch to get a little more top end than the 14x22 that I had?

Lenny, are any of your other 3 props better suited for what I have for a combo now?

Sorry for all the novice questions, but that's what I am at this point. I greatly appreciate the help and want to get back out soon!!

I'd hate to put a prop on and have it ruin my first year experince with the Donzi. If none of those are suited, what are your recomendations?

jl1962
07-25-2009, 06:53 AM
NICE Donzi!

There is an informal get together on Winnie this weekend. Go pick some brains.

Welcome to the Board.

JL

LeadSledMerc
07-25-2009, 07:16 AM
NICE Donzi!

There is an informal get together on Winnie this weekend. Go pick some brains.

Welcome to the Board.

JL
I saw that thread, I wish I could go.
Unfortunately I was up there all last weekend taking care of my young nieces while there mother was in the hospital birthing another niece. 3 daughters...God bless them in years to come!
I can't make it back this weekend...poor planning on my sister in laws part I guess! haha

07-25-2009, 07:36 AM
Keith,
I live on cape and would love to give you some advise and help over the winter.
I just finished a full engine out and steering re do on my 83 18.
give me a call and plan on coming down to my favorite lake on the Cape for a run.
Dave 508-965-2005

Lenny
07-25-2009, 10:21 AM
Sled, contact Matthew Veth ( Mattyboy) in Lake George. He has about 3-4 to chose from. If available, get the 14x24 LH Ultra. You will LOVE the boat with it and you can easily sell it after you get the motor redone.

That is what I would do and he is "close" relatively speaking.

Call him at 201 315 9662

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=54232

thriller
07-25-2009, 03:36 PM
Nice Boat! Have fun with it.

LeadSledMerc
07-25-2009, 08:23 PM
Keith,
I live on cape and would love to give you some advise and help over the winter.
I just finished a full engine out and steering re do on my 83 18.
give me a call and plan on coming down to my favorite lake on the Cape for a run.
Dave 508-965-2005
That was funny running into you guys at the launch and then great catching you on our favorite lake today! Your boat looked and sounded awesome, Dave...I'll be in touch.
Keith

Tony
07-25-2009, 10:02 PM
Sled, contact Matthew Veth ( Mattyboy) in Lake George. He has about 3-4 to chose from. If available, get the 14x24 LH Ultra. You will LOVE the boat with it and you can easily sell it after you get the motor redone.

That is what I would do and he is "close" relatively speaking.

Call him at 201 315 9662

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=54232

This is good advice. The 14 x 24 Ultra is an awesome prop for your current setup. Plus...Matty can tell you all about your outdrive, and your hull, and your Hull ID #, and your fuel tank, and your vent locations, and your steering wheel, and your bow eye, and just about anything else related to vintage Donzi Classics!

:beer:

DONZI
07-26-2009, 07:25 PM
Sorry i missed this post earlier while i was away at N.H. L. Winni run.
Too bad you missed it,but it's not too late to make your reservation for the L. George N.Y. Fall picnic ! It's a great time with the Adriondack Hot Rod Nationals happening at the same time. Book soon if posssible !

It's great to see another Donzi is in the area !:)
I'll PM ya for your number.
Kenny Lessard

LeadSledMerc
07-26-2009, 08:13 PM
Sorry i missed this post earlier while i was away at N.H. L. Winni run.
Too bad you missed it,but it's not too late to make your reservation for the L. George N.Y. Fall picnic ! It's a great time with the Adriondack Hot Rod Nationals happening at the same time. Book soon if posssible !

It's great to see another Donzi is in the area !:)
I'll PM ya for your number.
Kenny Lessard
PM sent, Kenny.
This is so great there are so many of you guys local, I look forward to meeting up with everyone.
Thanks for the heads up on L. George picnic, but I've already got a busy car weekend booked between Epping and Ty-Rods.
I'm sure I'll catch up with you soon.
Keith

Donzi Vol
07-27-2009, 10:44 PM
Welcome to the site! So glad you're enjoying your Donzi. The classics are wonderful. Don't hesitate to ask if you need anything.

All the best,
David

Kirbyvv
07-28-2009, 08:02 AM
Contact Big Grizzly or take Lenny up on his offer and get a 21 Solas. it acts more like a 23 and like Lenny said should work with your current engine and probably your proposed upgrade. You can always sell it later as nice props for the older volvo drives aren't too easy to find. I'm getting a bit more rpms out of mine than Lenny did, running the solas 21 with a 270 hp new motor I'm turning about 4900 rpms.

The Hedgehog
07-28-2009, 09:58 AM
Welcome. Enjoy the new boat.

LeadSledMerc
07-30-2009, 12:13 PM
Thanks again guys.
This forum is great...I was pointed to a thread on how to use long hub props on my short shaft 250 Volvo, so my problems will be going away as soon as my parts come in and I tap the end of the shaft. That modification also gives me so many new options for props that I didn't have with the short hub.
I've also got that 24" Ultra coming from Matty...I can't wait!:)

mrfixxall
07-30-2009, 12:48 PM
Thanks again guys.
This forum is great...I was pointed to a thread on how to use long hub props on my short shaft 250 Volvo, so my problems will be going away as soon as my parts come in and I tap the end of the shaft. That modification also gives me so many new options for props that I didn't have with the short hub.

when you get the ultra use the middle pin setting and get use to the prop..after your use to it move the pin to the last outter hole,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, HANG ON:) on my ride its a 6mph differance..

LeadSledMerc
07-31-2009, 08:07 PM
when you get the ultra use the middle pin setting and get use to the prop..after your use to it move the pin to the last outter hole,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, HANG ON:) on my ride its a 6mph differance..
Pin setting?????...I'm not sure what you mean, there's no pin on the prop I got.

I did get the short shaft conversion finished and the prop all set to go, piece of cake...now I NEED to hit the lake and try out that 24 Ultra that you guys recommended...can't wait!:)

mattyboy
07-31-2009, 08:24 PM
did they prop get there?

LeadSledMerc
07-31-2009, 08:55 PM
did they prop get there?
Yea, it got here already, Matty...that was quick! Thanks for getting it out so fast, much appreciated.

It's mounted up and all set for the lake. Sucks cause I can't get out until Sunday and I can't wait to try it out.

Yea, yea, I know...this is a little $hit change for you guys, but this is the first step for me...watch out from here!! haha

mrfixxall
08-01-2009, 12:24 PM
Thanks again guys.

yours may differ from mine,i have 3 settings for trim, i put my pin in the in the last setting..prop may slip with out labbing the prop,mines got extry cup in it so it wont slip..

BigGrizzly
08-02-2009, 09:09 AM
Some how I missed this thread. First Welcome. Now to the prop. We designed that prop for the old Volvo drives and tested it on a REAL 18 foot hull- MINE. I have been trying props for over 30 years and this is the best for the Donzi. some say not the fastest some say it is because it handles and rides better. As for hubs the hubs for this prop are available byt for the rest of the makes they have been discontinued. To my knowledge, if an ultra hub goes it is all over. I know some tri to fabricate the hubs but personally have heard of no real fix. The good part is that few ultras go bad.

LeadSledMerc
08-02-2009, 09:56 AM
yours may differ from mine,i have 3 settings for trim, i put my pin in the in the last setting..prop may slip with out labbing the prop,mines got extry cup in it so it wont slip..

Dahhhhhhh...I feel stupid now, mrfixxall!!

Yes, I also have a pin with trim setting and now I understand what you meant. Thanks for the advise.

Some how I missed this thread. First Welcome. Now to the prop. We designed that prop for the old Volvo drives and tested it on a REAL 18 foot hull- MINE. I have been trying props for over 30 years and this is the best for the Donzi. some say not the fastest some say it is because it handles and rides better. As for hubs the hubs for this prop are available byt for the rest of the makes they have been discontinued. To my knowledge, if an ultra hub goes it is all over. I know some tri to fabricate the hubs but personally have heard of no real fix. The good part is that few ultras go bad.
Well, it looks like I made the right choice in the prop with that coming from you...I can't wait to get out and try it.

LeadSledMerc
08-02-2009, 07:33 PM
I made it to the lake today with my new Ultra prop.
It didn't seem a whole lot faster at the top, but it did handle nice though. I didn't have my gps with me, so maybe I just didn't sense the difference.
With that Michegan 14x22 it ran right around 50mph @ 4900rpm, with the Ultra the tach was at 5100.
I did put the pin in the last setting before I went out, so it's trimmed up as high as it'll go, correct?
I'll take the gps with me next time and see what it's doing.

mattyboy
08-03-2009, 07:58 AM
my bet is you'll be at around 54 mph with that setup

the way I figure it you have netted the 200 rpm difference (gain) for the decrease in diameter from the michigan to the ultra

the expected difference(loss) in rpm for the increase in pitch really gets thrown out with the bath water as the michigan was probably cupped making it act like a 23 and the ultra with it's higher slip makes the 24 really act like a 23 so they cancel each other out

you'll also find that the ultra ventilates alot more then the michigan would especially in the top hole in turns and in rougher water

LeadSledMerc
08-07-2009, 09:03 PM
my bet is you'll be at around 54 mph with that setup

the way I figure it you have netted the 200 rpm difference (gain) for the decrease in diameter from the michigan to the ultra

the expected difference(loss) in rpm for the increase in pitch really gets thrown out with the bath water as the michigan was probably cupped making it act like a 23 and the ultra with it's higher slip makes the 24 really act like a 23 so they cancel each other out

you'll also find that the ultra ventilates alot more then the michigan would especially in the top hole in turns and in rougher water
52 mph at 5100 rpm is what it ended up at. You guys are spot on about everything about it, we had a great day on the lake today. The Ultra will work just fine for this year until I go through the boat this winter and build some more HP into it. We're having a ball with this boat. :)

It sure is different than my old flatbottom, but I can tell the hull has a lot more comfortable speed left to go once I get the HP up and the rest dialed in...lot's to learn for this newbie, so I'll be buggin you guys with lots of questions for sure!:wink:

mrfixxall
08-07-2009, 09:11 PM
52 mph at 5100 rpm is what it ended up at. You guys are spot on about everything about it, we had a great day on the lake today. The Ultra will work just fine for this year until I go through the boat this winter and build some more HP into it. We're having a ball with this boat. :)

It sure is different than my old flatbottom, but I can tell the hull has a lot more comfortable speed left to go once I get the HP up and the rest dialed in...lot's to learn for this newbie, so I'll be buggin you guys with lots of questions for sure!:wink:

if you have a little work done to the ultra it will be a faster prop only if you send it to the rite person,mine flys:)

penbroke
08-07-2009, 09:31 PM
if you have a little work done to the ultra it will be a faster prop only if you send it to the rite person,mine flys:)

Care to share?

Frank
Love my Ultras...

mattyboy
08-08-2009, 08:59 AM

glad it worked out for you little over 2 1/2 months left of boating season

Sweet Cheekz
08-08-2009, 09:36 AM
2 1/2 months? Us Michiganders are just hoping for a few decent days before it snows. Glad I have a rainy day project.
Matty, I trade trailers next week so i will get you some measurements and photos of the bottom
Parnell

mattyboy
08-08-2009, 09:38 AM
thanks

Lenny
08-08-2009, 10:28 AM
Sled, third hole is where I run. I love it there best. IF you spin the hib on the Ultra it is available from Volvo. I just had mine done ( re-hubbed ) and epoxied back in. Get out and enjoy it :yes: and after summer time to add 100 ponies :D

LeadSledMerc
08-08-2009, 07:42 PM
Sled, third hole is where I run. I love it there best. IF you spin the hib on the Ultra it is available from Volvo. I just had mine done ( re-hubbed ) and epoxied back in. Get out and enjoy it :yes: and after summer time to add 100 ponies :D
Hopefully I'll never need it Lenny, but that's good to know, cause others have said they couldn't be re-hubbed.

Another great day on the lake...oh ya, put my new white wheel on...looks much better, me thinks! :)

mrfixxall
08-08-2009, 07:46 PM
Hopefully I'll never need it, but that's good to know, cause others have said they couldn't be re-hubbed.

Another great day on the lake...oh ya, put my new white wheel on...looks much better, me thinks! :)

you may want to get some rubber plappers for your exhaust before your engine ingests water:wink:

LeadSledMerc
08-08-2009, 08:04 PM

...and who is "the rite person", I'd be interested to check them out and see what they can do?

you may want to get some rubber plappers for your exhaust before your engine ingests water:wink:
I'm thinking I could guess, but whats a "rubber plapper"?

mrfixxall
08-08-2009, 08:32 PM
...and who is "the rite person", I'd be interested to check them out and see what they can do?

I'm thinking I could guess, but whats a "rubber plapper"?

http://www.dahpropellers.com/

4th pic http://eddiemarine.com/store/cart.php?m=product_list&c=59

LeadSledMerc
08-08-2009, 08:43 PM
http://www.dahpropellers.com/

Thanks

mrfixxall
08-08-2009, 09:23 PM
Thanks

heres a pic of my prop and drive..ok ill let you volvo guys in on another secret of mine,,i trimed off a piece of my skeg in front of the prop so it can load more water on to the prop..

1929rats
08-08-2009, 10:06 PM
Keith, Nice one....good to see you on two mesage boards now!

That steering wheel....is that a cal custom job? Looks mint on the vessel....

Buy the 4" cut tips from eddie marine with the internal flappers....that would be the hot setup on your boat...

Sorry about the late call...late night last night, but we had a great day on the lake and I periodically checked my cell looking for your call...lets make plans soon to meet on the water down here...

LeadSledMerc
08-09-2009, 07:50 AM
Keith, Nice one....good to see you on two mesage boards now!

That steering wheel....is that a cal custom job? Looks mint on the vessel....

Buy the 4" cut tips from eddie marine with the internal flappers....that would be the hot setup on your boat...

Sorry about the late call...late night last night, but we had a great day on the lake and I periodically checked my cell looking for your call...lets make plans soon to meet on the water down here...
It was too nice a day to wait any longer to get on the water if you know what I mean. Definately, lets get together in the next couple of weeks, you can show me around your lake.

The wheel is one that Rex Marine is selling as a Covico, not sure if it is cause it came in a plastic bag with no name on it, but I think it looks 110% better than the fugly black Teleflex wheel that was on it.

Off to the lake again today in a little while...summers way too short around here, suck up the water and rays while we can. :biggrin: