PDA

View Full Version : '69 16 Classic Ski & Sport

chip w
07-24-2009, 04:14 PM
After starting out with our 1969 16 Classic in 2004 as our first Donzi we have decided to put it up for sale so that we can move into either a 18’ or 22’ Classic. It's been through a restoration with the deck taken off the hull in 2004, the wood striped back and replaced and re-glassed/re-painted. It has the original Morse control unit and gauges, and the upholstery is all like new as it was replaced during the restoration and has been stored indoors since then.

The motor is a HM 302. The motor was pulled from the boat and checked out by Performance Plus Marina in Largo, FL. Compression, etc. is excellent. While the motor was out the engine compartment was sanded, gel coated and painted white. The carb is a new Holly 550, the mid housing was rebuilt while the engine was out, the starter and alternator have been replaced and the water pump has a new impeller installed annually. We also added a fuel filter/separator. A new aluminum battery tray was built to accommodate two batteries and an A/B switch was added along with all new cables. The batteries were replaced in May 2009. All gauges work. All bright work was replaced if it wasn’t in good condition.

The things that may be draw backs to some are that the vent intakes were moved towards the front of the boat and are a lower profile fiberglass opening. It really looks very nice. When the cap was put back on the hull the lift eyes were put on 90 degrees off. Check the photos for both of these. The vent pictures show the old trailer, not the new Rolls Axle. There is no carpet so there are some minor scratches from people's feet on the floor. Nothing serious. There are a couple of minor checks in the paint on the deck if you look hard for them, a crack in the paint that runs just under the rub rail and the filler chipped around the front eye that the trailer strap attaches to.

The boat sits on a new Rolls Axle trailer (2005), all aluminum and stainless. The boat and trailer have been stored in my garage until this summer. It includes a full cover that is always on it.

Why am I considering selling it? It’s time to move up to a bigger classic. We bought this 5 years ago and finished the restoration that someone else started. We have over $16,000 into the boat including the cost of the trailer. We’ll take $10,500 for it. If not we’ll keep it as we still love the little boat!
Here’s a partial list of what has been done.
Cap removed from hull, wood stripped and replaced/re-glassed
Outdrive refreshed
New Aluminum fuel tank
New batteries 5/09
New Holly Carb
Intermediate-housing rebuilt
R&R Gimbal housing and replaced all seals/bushings
Battery box rebuilt from AL for two batteries and battery A/B switch added, new battery cables
Rewired engine compartment to update wiring
New Fuel Pump
Added Fuel Filter/Water Separator
Replaced starter and alternator (BES CO, Tampa)
Rebuilt water pump by Depco Pump, new impeller annually
2005 Aluminum Rolls Axle trailer with stainless hardware and LED lights ($2,000)
Michigan 15/21 prop (RHD) refinished by Admiral Prop in Tampa

I’ll get more pictures over the weekend. This boat runs, sounds and drives great! I hate to get rid of it but we can’t have two boats. PM me with any questions or call me at 813-335-0926.

jl1962
07-24-2009, 04:22 PM
Nice looking boat. What kind of outdrive?

chip w
07-24-2009, 04:43 PM
Volvo 250. The guy who started the resto had it gone through and painted it black. It looks nice.

chip w
09-20-2009, 07:29 PM
OK, I know that there weren't too many people commenting on this, but it really is a nice boat. I have a few more pictures of the interior to include and if anyone has any questions I'd be more than happy to answer them.

Over the past week I have done a tune up including a new PerTronix ignition, cap, rotors, plugs and MSD 8mm Street Fighter wires. It really runs great! I did a 40 mile run yesterday from Clearwater to Egmont Key (mouth of Tampa Bay) and back and it ran like a charm. I also just had a custom carpet made for it.

chip w
09-20-2009, 07:31 PM
Here's a couple close ups of the rear seat cushions and one from over the weekend. They really were done the way they should be.

chip w
04-23-2010, 02:21 PM
Spring's here! Dropped price to $9,000 for registry members. If I can't get that then I give up and we'll keep it.

Just Say N20
04-23-2010, 03:45 PM
This is a great buy!

Anyone following my rebuild of a 1967 Ski-Sporter or gcarter's TR, or Axel's GT-21, or Parnell's GT-21, knows the work that goes into redoing one of these boats.

This is a HUGE pile of $$$$$$$$ less than what I am going to have in mine, once it is completed.

If you are looking for a "vintage" 16, buy this one, and be delighted that someone else did/paid for the work. :yes:

If I weren't WAY past this amount in mine, I would buy it.

jl1962
04-23-2010, 04:22 PM
Agreed - looks like a very nice 16.
:yes:

Bamboo Loui
04-23-2010, 05:06 PM
if I wasn't so fat I would buy it!!!!!!!!:frown: I can fit in my 22 and no one knows until I stand up-- perfect boat for someone younger than me-- wish I could talk my daughter into having a boat instead of liking my boats.

fasttrucker
04-25-2010, 08:49 AM
Really nice Iam sure you will sell it.I would not drop the price anymore.You have to wait a bit till the economy kicks back up.Maybe after 2012 and we get rid of that..........

chip w
04-28-2010, 12:05 PM
Thanks to all for the positive comments. Like I said, if I can't get that for it I'll keep it. The latest surprise was at the holidays when we found out that we have a baby (1st one and a boy at that!) on the way after 22 years of marriage. Surprise! So Momma says a bigger boat is in order if we're taking a new one out with us. She also says keep it if we can't get at lest $9,000. So we'll see what happens and maybe sometime soon I'll be looking for that 22. :)

mrfixxall
04-28-2010, 12:19 PM
Here's a couple close ups of the rear seat cushions and one from over the weekend. They really were done the way they should be.

Chip, where was pic 3 takin ? :)

Sweet Cheekz
04-28-2010, 06:13 PM
Chip
Congrats on the big news! Your boat is beautiful and I echo Bills comments Tons of value here, good luck
Parnell

chip w
04-28-2010, 08:22 PM
Chip, where was pic 3 takin ? :)

Lake Carroll in Tampa, about 10 minutes north of Raymond James Stadium. Nice little ski lake, a little less than a mile long and maybe a half mile wide. Some of the people on the lake love the boat and of course there are the others. :nilly: Oh well!

chip w
06-23-2010, 08:23 AM
Looks like we have a deal. Just rebuilt the top end and I think someone got an awesome deal. We're really gonna miss our little Donzi, but as soon as the little one gets a little bigger we'll find another one. Here's a pic of the motor after the top end was put back together. Thanks go to Nick at Statement Marine/Performance Plus Marine in St. Pete for helping to find the early 351 Windsor heads and getting it together for me and Procoat in Tampa for the powder coating.

jl1962
06-23-2010, 08:34 AM
Looks great - this was a nice one - hope it found a good home.

ACE51
06-23-2010, 01:46 PM
That boat glows in the water from your pictures I have to admit I've been checking back on it every once in a while to see whats been hapening with it :wink:

chip w
06-26-2010, 10:05 PM
I think it found a good home. It stayed here in the Tampa Bay area. The guy that bought it has some race experience and his dad raced the Donzi off shore inboards back in the mid 1960's. I know he been here on the site looking at it and I'm sure he'll be on here.

I took it out one last time last night to do a sea trial with him. I got a little choked up when I left it.:frown: Well, one door closes and another one opens. Once the baby get's a little bigger my wife says we'll have to get another "baby". I'm already thinking about what it is I want. :)