PDA

View Full Version : New trim tabs installed!

SilverBack
07-24-2009, 02:38 PM
I got the new Dana trim tabs installed and got the boat back. I thought that I would post some pictures of the install.

BlownCrewCab
07-24-2009, 03:35 PM
Holy Shhitt Batman, do they really move that fast???? If you blow a motor you can use them to paddle back like flippers.

I'm proud of your selection for the tab placement, you should have the best of both worlds now.....Enjoy

blackhawk
07-24-2009, 03:47 PM
Those look great! And I agree they seem to move very fast!

SilverBack
07-24-2009, 03:56 PM
Holy Shhitt Batman, do they really move that fast???? If you blow a motor you can use them to paddle back like flippers.

I'm proud of your selection for the tab placement, you should have the best of both worlds now.....Enjoy

That was on one battery! You should see them on two!

blackhawk
07-24-2009, 04:29 PM

Wow, that is awesome! I would have to guess those are twice as fast as my K-planes.

Last Real Texan
07-24-2009, 04:45 PM
Fast enough to get you in real trouble without a set of indicaters at 0ver 60 mph...they seem to come up at different speeds, or is that an illusion?

SilverBack
07-24-2009, 04:59 PM
Fast enough to get you in real trouble without a set of indicaters at 0ver 60 mph...they seem to come up at different speeds, or is that an illusion?

That was my wife....she was hitting one switch right before the other. I don't think that it will be a problem for me. This boat is like a bass boat. I think that if you were looking at the indicators you would end up in more trouble that driving it by the way it feels. It not like these are huge offshore race boats that you can just set to a number.

SilverBack
07-24-2009, 05:01 PM
Wow, that is awesome! I would have to guess those are twice as fast as my K-planes.

Thanks BH...Which ones do you run?? The 280's??

MOP
07-24-2009, 07:25 PM
Majorly COOL and strategically placed to divert the exhaust toward shore!

blackhawk
07-24-2009, 07:58 PM
Thanks BH...Which ones do you run?? The 280's??

Yep 280s, and you just made me really jealous! A little jealous cause they look sweet and a lot jealous cause they are FAST! LOL

SilverBack
07-24-2009, 08:14 PM
Majorly COOL and strategically placed to divert the exhaust toward shore!

Thanks Phil!! The compliment means a LOT coming from a PRO like you!!!:yes:

Yep 280s, and you just made me really jealous! A little jealous cause they look sweet and a lot jealous cause they are FAST! LOL

I really thought about it a while and and couldn't make up my mind between the 380's and these. I ended up going with the Dana's because you could get the tail whips and the finish that I wanted...plus they are cheaper.... I really did not expect them to be any faster. I thought that the pumps were just like the K-plane pumps.

I really do appreciate the kind words though!! THANKS!!:wink:

The Hedgehog
07-26-2009, 08:55 AM
Nice fit and finish

MDonziM
07-26-2009, 09:05 AM

Just curious, what do you think about mounting flat vs bottom angle for high speed stability on a 22c w/ a blackhawk?

Carl C
07-26-2009, 09:07 AM

That was my first thought. That big tab so fast could definately get you in trouble! Looking good though. I would upgrade but I really don't need more than the stock tabs.

MDonziM
07-26-2009, 09:12 AM
Silverback,

Those Dana's look sweet. They use 2 pumps I assume? I've beenlooking at them too because the mounting area looks smaller than others and I run into trouble w/ my hyd steering. Love to hear feedback after you run them.

SilverBack
07-26-2009, 09:23 AM
Just curious, what do you think about mounting flat vs bottom angle for high speed stability on a 22c w/ a blackhawk?

If chine walk and stability are concerns... I think that it would work great! From the passes that I made since mounting mine this way I think that they have to be longer and faster to work though. It seem like the input is dampened when they are mounted this way. I crossed a big house boats wake yesterday doing over 90 ... This sent me into a violent chine walk before with the bennets..... Not a bobble now.... It just skimmed across the wakes and was steady as a rock. The lake was much rougher than normal but the boat was just skimming along very steady. The popoising was corrected by a touch of the switch and you didn't have to wait on it. I ran my fastest speed (105) and it seemed like I was going 20 mph slower. All the inputs just seemed to slow down and to be much easier! I can't wait to get the gremlins in my valvetrain worked out and to head for bigger water now!!

SilverBack
07-26-2009, 09:26 AM
Silverback,

Those Dana's look sweet. They use 2 pumps I assume? I've beenlooking at them too because the mounting area looks smaller than others and I run into trouble w/ my hyd steering. Love to hear feedback after you run them.

I think that mounted the normal way they would be kind of fast but Dana does make a non HP line that does not move so fast.

MDonziM
07-26-2009, 10:04 AM
If chine walk and stability are concerns... I think that it would work great! From the passes that I made since mounting mine this way I think that they have to be longer and faster to work though. It seem like the input is dampened when they are mounted this way. I crossed a big house boats wake yesterday doing over 90 ... This sent me into a violent chine walk before with the bennets..... Not a bobble now.... It just skimmed across the wakes and was steady as a rock. The lake was much rougher than normal but the boat was just skimming along very steady. The popoising was corrected by a touch of the switch and you didn't have to wait on it. I ran my fastest speed (105) and it seemed like I was going 20 mph slower. All the inputs just seemed to slow down and to be much easier! I can't wait to get the gremlins in my valvetrain worked out and to head for bigger water now!!

Thanks - I'm no help w/ rocker studs...

MOP
07-26-2009, 11:43 AM
Mounting them flat like that has always puzzled me, I have seen it done on quite a few HiPo boat never did make much sense. I know it works but will always look strange to me, if I ever mount another set I will have to try it.

Phil

MDonziM
07-26-2009, 10:36 PM
I think that mounted the normal way they would be kind of fast but Dana does make a non HP line that does not move so fast.

I dont see them on the Dana site. Are they the hp 1000's ?

SilverBack
07-26-2009, 10:45 PM
Mine are the HP-1100's. I had the tail whips added custom.

http://www.danamarineproducts.com/ProductDetails.cfm?group_id=15&catid=19&productid=124&CFID=656946&CFTOKEN=588a806-cd77387b-8139-4c2a-97df-6deacdaaaa25

MDonziM
07-28-2009, 05:45 AM
Mine are the HP-1100's. I had the tail whips added custom.

http://www.danamarineproducts.com/ProductDetails.cfm?group_id=15&catid=19&productid=124&CFID=656946&CFTOKEN=588a806-cd77387b-8139-4c2a-97df-6deacdaaaa25

Whats the thinking behind the whip?

SilverBack
07-28-2009, 07:51 AM
Whats the thinking behind the whip?

It is just something that Dana came up with that keeps the longer tab that you need when mounting this way from digging in. From what I saw this weekend they work as advertised.

Pismo
07-28-2009, 04:42 PM
Angled=boat leveling with your fat friend in the next seat.
Flatter=Surviving 100+mph.

SilverBack
07-28-2009, 05:29 PM
Angled=boat leveling with your fat friend in the next seat.
Flatter=Surviving 100+mph.

That is pretty much it!! The way I have it you loose a little side to side control at low speed. You also loose the chine walk at higher speed. It is just whatever you want. It helps a lot at much lower speeds than 100. I would say high 60's to low 70's you start to see a big difference.