PDA

View Full Version : Sea Tows Performance?

Tank
07-24-2009, 12:15 PM
Well what do we do when she lets you down?
Do we like sea tow I had to call them one time as a non member and it was $300.00:shocking: to get me about 1.5mil and then had to use my trolling motor to get in, the marina was to shallow for them to get me to the dock or ramp.
It looks like a membership is only $150.00 and then free towing.
Sounds good. to me now is their better?
Tank
PS is it bad to post this here?

HOWARD O
07-24-2009, 06:49 PM
We have both Seatow and Boat Tow/US in our area. Seatow is more convenient and that's who I've used. I ran my boat up on the beach one time, high and dry. Called and they were there within 15 minutes, yanked me back in the water in 10 minutes. Cost would've been $400 w/out the membership. That's the only time I've used them, but was happy with their service. It's great piece of mind. :yes:

MOP
07-24-2009, 07:36 PM
I rigged one of the very first two Privateers for Sea Tow they were sold out of our place to a group from the great lakes. They could not get it off the ground soon enough and went bust, we had to go and repo the boats. Then a friend of my boss Joe Fraunhofer boat the boats and started up Sea Tow out by us on the Peconic and one working the south shore, within 2 years he had a dozen boat going then it took off like a bomb to where it is today. The Capt. make very decent money they are franchised, a close buddy did it for about five years then bought a small marina. Enough history!
It is fairly cheap insurance that you hope not to use!!!!

Marlin275
07-24-2009, 09:30 PM
I have used both of them a few times.
It is well worth the money
if you do serious boating

one rescue last year
would have been over a $ 1000.

midnight haul out
out of a condemned and locked boat club
on the Harlem River
at high tide
in the mud

Tank
07-25-2009, 05:04 PM
tanks to All.
Just what I thought!
I will go with it I figure if I get it the boat will never let me down!
It is cheep ins!
Tanks

Pismo
07-26-2009, 07:13 AM
I seem to recall Sea Tow having a terrible reputation for stealing boat as "salvage" and the true owner having to pay huge $$$ to recover. There are threads around on here and on OSO about this. I have never and will never use either but I am on a small lake so don't really need it.

HOWARD O
07-26-2009, 09:20 AM
I seem to recall Sea Tow having a terrible reputation for stealing boat as "salvage" and the true owner having to pay huge $$$ to recover. There are threads around on here and on OSO about this. I have never and will never use either but I am on a small lake so don't really need it.

Yes, we had a case here involving a salvage deal whereby the owner of the vessel really made a stink. There are circumstances where they will deem it a salvage operation, especially if it puts Sea Tow's operator and/or boat in peril as well. Sea Tow isn't the only towing company to be involved in some "scrupulous" charges regarding "salvage". However, they have to tell you that it's a salvage operation and you are free to refuse their service, whether or not you're a member. And two, those that have been charged with way over the top salvage fees are generally required to pay much less when taken to court.

It's too bad that those few operators that have really taken advantage of the salvage clause have ruined the reputation for people that don't know the whole story. FWIW, most tow company operators have all but stopped these salvage operations for all but the most dire of circumstances. There are times however when a salvage operation is correctly charged. I personally know an employee and the owner of one franchise in my area. The employee has spoken to me pretty freely about the operation and I feel they are much better than they used to be.

DonziBuoy
07-26-2009, 11:04 AM
Does anyone care to comment on what they think is the best towing service out there? Understandably, some areas are only covered by one company. But with my recent experience on the water, I am trying to find the best service to sign up with - I live in Western LI Sound on the North Shore of LI. Here, the company that has the most presence is Sea Tow.

Jim

1974 16' Ski Sporter

Marlin275
07-26-2009, 11:16 AM
Does anyone care to comment on what they think is the best towing service out there? Here, the company that has the most presence is Sea Tow.
Jim
1974 16' Ski Sporter

Call both companies and check their home base.
The one closest to you has the advantage.
Sometimes it takes a long time for them to show up.

Barry Eller
07-26-2009, 03:02 PM
I have BoatUS insurance. Yes I have used them. Last year at the Destin Donzi Owners Rally. A valve went through a piston...:mad: The bill was $450.00, all paid by BoatUS.They even helped me get the boat on the trailer.

Splash
07-27-2009, 08:59 AM
I have had seatow for 5 yrs and only used them twice. The second time was just yesterday since the Bearing went on my Serpentine Belt Tensioner, it ended up in the bottom of the bilge so we lost Power steering and cooling.

We called them at 2:38pm to let them we needed a tow, they asked if everyone was OK and if there was any emergency. We told them everyone was fine and we were anchored, they then asked if we had enough water and food since we had 3 children on the boat which we did. They had said a Captain was finishing up another tow and we should see someone within an hour, they called us a few times and once the Captain was on his way he too had called. It took about an hour and 20 minutes for them to arrive from time of call, I believe if we were not anchored and did not have enough food or water they would of sent another boat. We hung out and swam and had a good time while waiting, the kids got a kick out of the tow and I guess with504 hours on the ZX two times isn't so bad for breaking down.

By the way, he told us its $400 an hour for non members and $475 if its at night. I can't remember if it was $140 or $150 for the member ship but its nice insurance to have. The crazy thing is since I haden't had to call Sea Tow for 4 years I almost thought about not doing it this year, I'm glad I didn't listen to myself :)

I did see a US boat drive by so in CT we seem to have both available and around, the Sea Tow Captain was excellent and took care when rafting the boat to get into the Marina.

Good Luck, Jim

HOWARD O
07-27-2009, 09:12 AM
Here, the company that has the most presence is Sea Tow.
Jim
1974 16' Ski Sporter

I think you answered your own question.

Talk to some other boaters in your area. Frankly, when I first signed up with Seatow 6 years ago, Towboat/US had a better reputation around here but Seatow was definitely based closer to my most frequented boating areas. In the end, I went with Seatow and have been happy with their service. After I had hard-grounded my boat and they were there in around 15 minutes, I knew I had made the correct choice.