PDA

View Full Version : cockpit cover towing... rain

VetteLT193
07-24-2009, 10:43 AM
I was about to put that blue painters tape on the edges of my cockpit covers for my trip... then it down poured rain.

Will that blue tape stick through rain? I'll dry it before applying... Should I just screw it and take the covers off?

BUIZILLA
07-24-2009, 11:06 AM
post a pic of the boat with just the cockpit cover on

Ghost
07-24-2009, 11:18 AM
I was about to put that blue painters tape on the edges of my cockpit covers for my trip... then it down poured rain.

Will that blue tape stick through rain? I'll dry it before applying... Should I just screw it and take the covers off?

Apply blue tape when things are dry and it should still hold about the same when it gets wet. Before my custom cover was made, I resorted to taping a plastic bag over the dash panel while I was off the boat, to keep the pouring rain off. The tape never came loose at all, so long as applied to a dry surface.

Conquistador_del_mar
07-24-2009, 11:55 AM

Don't use the cheap blue painter tape unless you don't mind spending a bunch of time removing the adhesive later. Go get a roll of 3M green 1" wide tape from an automotive refinishing store and you can peel it off even after it sits in the sun and rain. If you don't mind the extra expense and want to try the best tape I have ever used, get a roll of the 3M straight edge blue tape that you would typically use to make razor sharp paint edges. It will laugh at the sun and rain - :wink: Bill

VetteLT193
07-24-2009, 12:06 PM
I actually accidentally bought that 3M stuff. It's kind of plasticy feeling. I taped it down... hopefully I did a good enough job.

I taped down the sides too because when I took it back from the Factory 1 snap on each side popped off and rubbed against the gel. It cleaned up fine but I'd rather not chance it again.

Ghost
07-24-2009, 12:08 PM
Don't use the cheap blue painter tape unless you don't mind spending a bunch of time removing the adhesive later. Go get a roll of 3M green 1" wide tape from an automotive refinishing store and you can peel it off even after it sits in the sun and rain. If you don't mind the extra expense and want to try the best tape I have ever used, get a roll of the 3M straight edge blue tape that you would typically use to make razor sharp paint edges. It will laugh at the sun and rain - :wink: Bill

Great point--I'd forgotten about this completely. The good 3M blue stuff worked fine. The crappy blue stuff was awful when we accidentally used that once. Never again.

Never tried the green stuff. Will keep that in mind for special needs.

f_inscreenname
07-24-2009, 12:17 PM
The green is good stuff.:wink:

mrfixxall
07-24-2009, 01:08 PM
I actually accidentally bought that 3M stuff. It's kind of plasticy feeling. I taped it down... hopefully I did a good enough job.
I taped down the sides too because when I took it back from the Factory 1 snap on each side popped off and rubbed against the gel. It cleaned up fine but I'd rather not chance it again.

Where is your safety chain and strap on the bow hook? might want to add it before you go:)

Canvas Man
07-24-2009, 01:44 PM
It's a shame to see a beautiful boat like that, with blue painters tape holding the cover on!!! Maybe I'm biased, but I think the canvas should pretty much stay on by itself! Perhaps a few strategically placed "directional fasteners" would solve your problem. A good canvas shop should be able to get you fixed up relatively easily.

Meanwhile, the green tape will definitely hold better than the blue.
:wink:

Last Tango
07-24-2009, 01:52 PM
It's a shame to see a beautiful boat like that, with blue painters tape holding the cover on!!! Maybe I'm biased, but I think the canvas should pretty much stay on by itself! Perhaps a few strategically placed "directional fasteners" would solve your problem. A good canvas shop should be able to get you fixed up relatively easily.

Meanwhile, the green tape will definitely hold better than the blue.
:wink:

I give this a big 1+. I added a few "directional fasteners" to my cockpit cover at strategic locations. Cover never comes up when towing. Water doesn't get into places. But I don't have the open forward deck, so maybe a combination of the fasteners and then some tape on the leading edge of the forward cover to keep the rain out when towing. The cockpit cover goes far enough down the front and sides to keep the rain out when towing.

Canvas Man
07-24-2009, 05:34 PM
so maybe a combination of the fasteners and then some tape on the leading edge of the forward cover to keep the rain out when towing. The cockpit cover goes far enough down the front and sides to keep the rain out when towing.[/quote]

Ask about having a sewable gasket added to your existing bow cover. DON'T settle for the cheap foam filled gasket--It turns into dust real quick and is a waste of time. There is a good quality rubber gasket that works well, but for the ultimate ask for "X-TREME SEAL". Its available in several different profiles to suit every situation.

Trueser
07-24-2009, 06:14 PM
My cover Never lets in water. Are you sure you need it?

When we went to AOTH this year it rained for 5 hours on the way down.

The bow cover on the other hand may be an issue.

Safety chain or strap on the bow is needed.

BUIZILLA
07-24-2009, 06:16 PM
There is a good quality rubber gasket that works well, but for the ultimate ask for "X-TREME SEAL". Its available in several different profiles to suit every situation. where can I find or see this product?

Cuda
07-24-2009, 06:50 PM
My cockpit cover never leaked enough to warrant taping. It never got any wetter than taking it out. It's not Waterford Crystal.

Canvas Man
07-24-2009, 07:34 PM
www.xtremeseal.com/ -

Any Canvas shop worth their salt should be able to provide/install this for you. It is a sewn in product.

As for the "Waterford Crystal" comment, Thank You...... IT's A BOAT !!!! A little water shouldn't hurt it!!!! You wouldn't believe how many people are "terrified" of their BABY getting wet. However, I think Vette's first concern is the cover coming loose during transport, which can be a potentialy serious problem at 75 on the highway. Plus there's no need for "road water" pouring into the bow area. Either way, the XTREME Seal will help with water problems as well as keeping air from getting under the canvas.

Last Point---Make sure your mooring pole is as tight as possible. This will keep the cockpit cover from flapping in the wind, thus taking strain off the cover/fasteners.

Have fun at the Port Canaveral to Sebastian run!!!! Hope to see y'all there next year?

MOP
07-24-2009, 07:48 PM

Don't put tape on the cover, the tape goes over the rub rail screws! It is used to tape rags over anything that may damage your cover, like vents, lifting rings etc, I also put the rubber pipe insulation along the entire windshield edge I have used the 1" blue for years with no issues, but I do take it off as soon as I get where I am going if left on it is not so easy to clean up. The cover can catch hell over 70, I have a ton of bungees and lines making it bow tight.

MOP
07-24-2009, 07:55 PM
I just noticed the bow cover and separate cockpit cover, it is a good idea to put a line across both covers at the half way point. If the do let loose the line will hold them long enough to stop and not have the traffic run over them. Tape over the gap on the side of the cockpit cover any air getting in will balloon the cover and help to pop it off.

VetteLT193
07-26-2009, 08:20 PM
The tape is not intended for water, it was supposed to stop the air from getting into it.

FAIL.

I re-taped it at a rest stop, all the way around and through the back.

FAIL.

The back seam is ripped in the middle now, from flapping in the wind. It poofed up with air no matter what I did. It's a no big deal fix, but still a PITA.

I took it off at the half way point, gave up.

The bow cover was perfect, I kept that on.

mikev
07-27-2009, 10:11 AM
Talked to a couple reputable canvas guys in our area and they both told me not to tow with the covers on in dramaticaly shortens the life of your cover he made the point 75mph winds tear up all kinds of stuff during a storm why would you want to put your expensive cover through that and tear it up. I tow without my cover all the time nothing ever happens to the interior just make sure your seat cushions are snapped down good.

Tidbart
07-27-2009, 10:41 AM
Bobby,

What you need is called preservation tape, in a 2 or 3". Comes in white and blue and maybe another color or two. This is what some boat haulers use to stop the air from getting in places they don't want it. They seal covers, tape down cushions, etc.

This stuff is designed to come off without leaving a glue residue. Great for gelcoats. 3M makes one but it is mucho $$. I found a lesser name for reasonable, search preservation tape and see what comes up.

For long hauls, I tape the leading edge and along sides of the cockpit cover.

VetteLT193
07-27-2009, 10:55 AM
Bobby,

What you need is called preservation tape, in a 2 or 3". Comes in white and blue and maybe another color or two. This is what some boat haulers use to stop the air from getting in places they don't want it. They seal covers, tape down cushions, etc.

This stuff is designed to come off without leaving a glue residue. Great for gelcoats. 3M makes one but it is mucho $$. I found a lesser name for reasonable, search preservation tape and see what comes up.

For long hauls, I tape the leading edge and along sides of the cockpit cover.

Thanks Bob... I'll check it out.

Ghost
07-27-2009, 11:16 AM
The tape is not intended for water, it was supposed to stop the air from getting into it.

FAIL.

I re-taped it at a rest stop, all the way around and through the back.

FAIL.

The back seam is ripped in the middle now, from flapping in the wind. It poofed up with air no matter what I did. It's a no big deal fix, but still a PITA.

I took it off at the half way point, gave up.

The bow cover was perfect, I kept that on.

I was stupidly focused on the tape at the start of this, and not the overall. Two thoughts--I dunno what sort of tape will grab the cover material. I should have thought about that one. The blue stuff I used was great on painted glass, but it would never have grabbed sunbrella or canvas.

But more important, and curious what people know or think on this: is there any need/use to stop air from getting in the crack where the cover meets the boat? I say this because my instinct with air flow is that the real forces on the cover come not in a "peeling off" effect right where the cover and glass meet and air is sneaking under, but rather in the overall pressure changes over large areas. Much like airflow over a wing creates a pressure difference, or low-pressure flow past a shower curtain pulls it in.

Anyhow, my point is just to mention the possibility that maybe the tape doesn't matter for *changing* the forces of the air on the cover a whole lot. I *can* imagine, however, that it is good to give the cover (and its fasteners) plenty of extra support to deal with such forces. This is where a bunch of tie-down type straps might help, ones that go all the way around the top and then fasten down to the trailer below, supporting the cover without pulling on localized areas like fastener surroundings.

The hitch on this, I woud think, is that no matter what, it would seem hard to avoid a lot of stress where any poles meet the top. Probably need some sort of rig to keep that point from being very stressed, maybe something to keep the pole in the grommet, or even a balled-up towel or something under the cover atop the pole, and also something to keep the pole base on the floor. If it even makes sense to risk any of that. The wind will buffet that cover a lot unless it is crazy tight, and that means stress anyhow. Further, as I think more about it, the few boat dealers I know of always tow without covers on anyway. Feels like a lot of tie down-straps or something else to take the real loading, at a minimum, or no cover.

FWIW (just like last time, which wasn't worth jack in hindsight...)

Mike

P.S. Sucks that a seam tore--my yard just dinged my nice new custom cover and I had it patched last week. $hitty feeling, I am very sympathetic.

Tidbart
07-27-2009, 12:22 PM
Thanks Bob... I'll check it out.

I think I paid about 7-8 bucks a roll, the 3M is about $48/roll. :eek:

brwn234
07-27-2009, 02:17 PM
I think the key is keeping the cover tight and directional snaps on the forward edge. If there's even chance of rain I'll tow it covered. I've towed my ZX to Fort Lauderdale and back from Northern VA with the cover on. No issues at all. I have two directional snaps, one on each side and my support pole is as far up as I can get it. I will cover the tops of the seats and head rests with a towel or old tshirt to keep them from getting chaffed. I will put tape under the cover on some of the sharp edges to keep them from getting chaffed. Air does blow in and make the top bulge but has never come off or whipped around. Thinking of it now I never button the back snaps along the sun pad, so maybe that allows the air to escape.

As for a tieing down the bow, I use a chain pulling it up the ramp and a 3k lb. locking cam tie down strap on the road. It's a must!

Love the graphics on your ZX! maybe I can convince the wife we need to step up in size once we have our first kid in March.

Cuda
07-27-2009, 04:17 PM
I've had covers for all my boats. I rarely towed far with a cover on. It will do more damage to the cover and the boat. I only used the cockpit cover if I was leaving the boat out overnight at a marina or something. I never towed with one on. It would be up under the bow somewhere. I know for a fact that air will not damage the gelcoat.