PDA

View Full Version : Is it that dry in Texas? :)

Cuda
07-23-2009, 10:08 PM
It's so dry in West Texas that the Baptists are starting to baptize by

sprinkling, the Methodists are using wet-wipes, the Presbyterians are giving

out rain-checks, and the Catholics are praying for the wine to turn back

into water.

Now THAT's Dry

BUIZILLA
07-24-2009, 06:58 AM
and boat owners use Swipes...

mattyboy
07-24-2009, 07:21 AM
I spent some time in the dallas fort worth area back a few years for an extended business stay . my hotel was in las colinas I drove around for hours looking for a place to buy a six pack finally i went to the front desk and they said there's a state store out by the airport. I found it it was an old quonnsett hut on this dirt road, I said they kill city boys out here I don't need a beer that bad.

Finally someone gave me directions to go outside of dallas south i think, and as soon as I crossed the county line you couldn't swing a dead cat without hitting a liquor/gun/ammo store ( all in one holy **** that would never work in NY :eek: :spit: :uzi:)

I was told I was in the old bible belt , I said amen brother I'll take a case of Bud

Cuda
07-24-2009, 07:36 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E24C4NY0ga8 :)

Lenny
07-24-2009, 09:06 AM
as soon as I crossed the county line you couldn't swing a dead cat without hitting a liquor/gun/ammo store ( all in one holy **** that would never work in NY :eek: :spit: :uzi:)

I was told I was in the old bible belt , I said amen brother I'll take a case of Bud

Deneen and I did the same thing, I never gave up. I found the holy grail. :D Drive through actually, open the doors of the rental and just start throwing in the beer/wine.

Fort Worth was one of my favourite places.

Wierd

txtaz
08-01-2009, 03:35 PM
It's so dry in West Texas that the Baptists are starting to baptize by
sprinkling, the Methodists are using wet-wipes, the Presbyterians are giving
out rain-checks, and the Catholics are praying for the wine to turn back
into water.
Now THAT's Dry

2 Local lakes are closed now. They are down 34 feet from normal. Some peoples wells have run dry and have to trucked in water.

Mrs Taz lost her garden again this year. No water and something ridiculous like 45 days over 100 degrees. Highest being 109.7.

Yep, it's dry.

gcarter
08-01-2009, 03:43 PM
I worked for a year in Tulsa in '79-'80 and it didn't rain for about 90 days. The reservoirs were running low. The daily temps were getting to 115* or higher. A lot of older folks died from the heat. It affected the Dallas/Ft. Worth area also.
Finally, it broke. When you live in a semi arid area like that, you have to expect some dry times. It's just a fact of life. It eventually rains, maybe too much, but those averages are just that....averages.

Cuda
08-01-2009, 07:00 PM
I remember staying one summer outside of Gatlinburg Tennessee, and it was over 100 at night. It was way hotter than anything I've known in Florida. I saw 106 in Portland, Oregon, which I saw was supposed to be a new record high there today.

Conquistador_del_mar
08-01-2009, 07:41 PM
I worked for a year in Tulsa in '79-'80 and it didn't rain for about 90 days. The reservoirs were running low. The daily temps were getting to 115* or higher. A lot of older folks died from the heat. It affected the Dallas/Ft. Worth area also.
Finally, it broke. When you live in a semi arid area like that, you have to expect some dry times. It's just a fact of life. It eventually rains, maybe too much, but those averages are just that....averages.

George,
I remember that stretch of heat when I lived in Dallas - I believe it hit 113 on one of those days - ouch! Bill

harbormaster
08-02-2009, 05:19 AM
2 weeks ago. The outside temp according my car was 112.

You can't get to Carlos & Charlies on Lake Travis by boat anymore.
Its just a canyon out back.

txtaz
08-02-2009, 08:36 AM
You can't get to Carlos & Charlies on Lake Travis by boat anymore.

Are you serious? Lake Travis dropped that low? Carlos & Charlies is on the main body of Lake Travis. We need a water pipeline.

Cuda
08-02-2009, 08:59 AM
What is the name of that huge lake in Texas that has no rivers running into it? It just the lowest part of Texas. I think it's on the Texas/Oklahoma border.

We are still getting rain, but the river has gone down a lot. It was over my dock, now it's a couple feet below it. It's right about where it should be.

harbormaster
08-02-2009, 09:00 AM
We need a water pipeline.

Thats part of the problem. I have heard that they have piped water out to all the new home developments/towns.

Conquistador_del_mar
08-02-2009, 10:27 AM
[quote=Cuda;528803]What is the name of that huge lake in Texas that has no rivers running into it? It just the lowest part of Texas. I think it's on the Texas/Oklahoma border.
quote]

Lake Texoma is on the Texas/OK borders, and it is huge (11th largest manmade lake in US). However, it is a US Corps of Engineers flood control lake to help control the convergence of the Red River and the Wash!ta River which flow south as the Red River. I live near Texoma. Bill

Cuda
08-02-2009, 11:20 AM
[quote=Cuda;528803]What is the name of that huge lake in Texas that has no rivers running into it? It just the lowest part of Texas. I think it's on the Texas/Oklahoma border.
quote]

Lake Texoma is on the Texas/OK borders, and it is huge (11th largest manmade lake in US). However, it is a US Corps of Engineers flood control lake to help control the convergence of the Red River and the Wa****a River which flow south as the Red River. I live near Texoma. Bill
Yes, that's the one.