PDA

View Full Version : Interesting difference in the X-18/18 2+3

Lenny
07-23-2009, 07:18 PM
I know this probably is of no use but I thought I would point it out.

Somewhere here there are people that would remember the thought and work that went into the X-18 creation from the 18 2+3 platform. I think most "presume" that it was simply a pile of filling and fairing and making the plug. I am here to say that there was more to it than that. :)

The camber on the deck of the 18 2+3 is far greater than the X-18. The foredeck of the X-18 is all but flat. The other, about 3". The foredeck of the X-18 is 95" long, the 2+3 is 93 1/2". There are some other minimal differences obviously but what I am getting at is, when they started this prototype they must have layed up the deck mold in its entirety but only done about the outer 3" or so around the outside of the foredeck after the co ckpit/dash area. After popping it they must have filled it in all but flat to create the platform (deck) that we see today 'cuz there is no way to take the crown out of the 2+3 and make it as flat as the X. OR, had to be cutout after a full deck was built and filled in flat.

Kinda boring I know, but had to get it off my chest :D Coc kpit sides are identical, only raised higher. Engine hatch opening is the same size ( L X W ) but different crown.

...long day...

The Hedgehog
07-23-2009, 07:25 PM
Actually that is some pretty cool info Lenny.

Thanks

gcarter
07-23-2009, 07:31 PM
Lenny, do you remember this thread?

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=52088

Jack told me it was a complete redisign of the deck.
A clean sheet of paper, so to speak.

Good info.

Lenny
07-23-2009, 08:25 PM
Nope, forgot that. :banghead: But I do not think a clean sheet was used. It is too identical to have pulled off so similarily (without G-codes and CNC available in the day) and measurement wise that I believe that "yes" there was a re-styling, but the perimeter and general configuration stayed in place. The rear of the cockpit is in the exact same place, the cockpit is the same width, the hatch dimensions the same except for arc.

???

penbroke
07-23-2009, 09:23 PM
Good info Lenny...

Frank :shades:

cutwater
07-23-2009, 11:41 PM
Very cool :thumbsup:

mattyboy
07-24-2009, 07:07 AM
of course this all leads to why the X-18 is faster than a 2+3 ;)

aerodynamics

Kirbyvv
07-24-2009, 07:32 AM
you got it Matty....

gcarter
07-24-2009, 09:12 AM
Nope, forgot that. :banghead: But I do not think a clean sheet was used. It is too identical to have pulled off so similarily (without G-codes and CNC available in the day) and measurement wise that I believe that "yes" there was a re-styling, but the perimeter and general configuration stayed in place. The rear of the cockpit is in the exact same place, the cockpit is the same width, the hatch dimensions the same except for arc.

???
I would imagine it would be pretty important to keep the cockpit and engine hatch in pretty much the same place. Otherwise, it would require changing alot more of the boat than just the deck.
But that ramp is definately an improvement over the stock foredeck.