PDA

View Full Version : Water Ski @ 50 + !!!

Canvas Man
07-22-2009, 08:39 PM
Funny story..

I was 17 years old, out on the Severn River in my 1969 16' 302-4brl, when my older sisters boyfriend wants to ski. No problem, we got plenty of power to get his ass out of the water. After the first go around the cove, he says he wants me to open it up once. I tell him NO WAY.. He insists, tying to impress the ladies I guess. Aftert a while I say FINE !! I pull him up nice and easy, till he's stable. I look back and he gives me the thumbs up, and I drop the hammer. The 4 barrel opens up, and we're skipping along at around 50. I kept it there for a few....seconds before I started letting off the juice. When I got down to about 30 he lets go. Everybody was laughing pretty good when I came back to pick him up, He was almost in tears because he said he felt like he was being dragged across pavement at that speed and was terified to let go. Needless to say, that was his last skiing trip with me.:wink:

Donzi Vol
07-22-2009, 08:44 PM
Haha. That's awesome. Guy had it coming...can't do too much complaining!

hardcrab
07-22-2009, 08:54 PM
out on the Severn River

the Severn River in Annapolis ?

I live off the Magothy River, done a LOT of skiing in both !

Canvas Man
07-22-2009, 09:02 PM
Thats the one. I graduated from Severna Park High, and grew up boating on the Severn and the Magothy Rivers.

The Hedgehog
07-22-2009, 09:22 PM
I have wiped out at 60+. It is like concrete.

Not near as bad as trying to pull up on the sand bar and realize that you are doing about 25mph when you hit the beach. Now that hurts! And no, does not impress the ladies.

Ghost
07-22-2009, 09:23 PM
Grew up on the Severn, and still keep my boat on it. (Annapolis High grad). -Mike

Canvas Man
07-22-2009, 10:03 PM
I ran into a guy with a 1970 something 18'. Yellow with a black stripe. coming out of EGO ALLEY. We both turned around and headed up the Severn pretty quick. I was a little faster than him, but he was able to keep his in the water a little better in the chop. We had a great time--never saw him again. That was in the early 90's when every body was still ignoring the speed limit on the Severn.. They still try'n to enforce that? Man I miss all them damn sailbote slalom courses!!!

Ghost
07-22-2009, 10:16 PM
I ran into a guy with a 1970 something 18'. Yellow with a black stripe. coming out of EGO ALLEY. We both turned around and headed up the Severn pretty quick. I was a little faster than him, but he was able to keep his in the water a little better in the chop. We had a great time--never saw him again. That was in the early 90's when every body was still ignoring the speed limit on the Severn.. They still try'n to enforce that? Man I miss all them damn sailbote slalom courses!!!

Knock wood, but I haven't ever seen it actually enforced. I'm a spirit-of-the-law guy. They imposed it due to heavy traffic. When it's heavy, I keep it 35 and under. When it's sleepy out there I do what I want. Always keep an eye out for the DNRs, but I think most of them probably look at it the same way I do. Hope so. Still a great river.

f_inscreenname
07-23-2009, 08:02 AM
This past summer I was tubing around Fort Smallwood. After dragging the kids around with the Nova never getting on a plane I had to show them how it was done. So with the wife at the helm off we went. First 25, then 35 as I waved on and then I herd the 4’s kick in. You know you’re moving when the exhaust water from the pipes is hitting you on the face, hard. Eventually we hit another boats wake and off I went. According to the kids I skipped, skipped, skipped and then started to roll across the water with arms and legs flying. It was violent enough that my wedding ring flew off. Next time I will have to put it in my pocket.:bonk:

Canvas Man
07-23-2009, 08:30 AM
That 4 brl carb makes a pretty un-mistakeable sound. Thats the kinda thing your suposed to get on video. It can make you rich you know..at least famous. When the wake starts to get narrower than the tube/knee board/ski....you know you're in trouble.:shocking: