PDA

View Full Version : Sweet 16 sacralige ?

Canvas Man
07-22-2009, 07:25 PM
Any body out there ever attempted to convert a "L" shaped bench on a 16' to a 2 "helm" seat configuration, like the cockpit on a 18'? I don't want to look like some A.H. walking into the Sisteen Chapel with a paint roller---But, it seems like it would make for a much better ride from the Starboard "side-saddle" seat.

Don't get too worked up now, all you Purists.....Just a thought..????:angel::eek::mad::confused:

smbarcelow
07-22-2009, 07:31 PM
Given the amount of work involved, unless you're a skilled glass guy, I'd look for a 16 Classic 2+2 instead. I've (briefly) considered it, too. That's not the kind of modification that's easily restored to original if you decide to sell someday.

MOP
07-22-2009, 07:42 PM
Not to sure how hard it would be to find the pictures but a fellow made a bench seat that spanned across very nicely. It was as I remember fairly easy to convert it back, I know what you mean as I called it killing your passengers!!!!!!

Just Say N20
07-22-2009, 07:49 PM
Like this?

See Post 25.

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=57646&page=2

Canvas Man
07-22-2009, 08:09 PM
Given the amount of work involved, unless you're a skilled glass guy, I'd look for a 16 Classic 2+2 instead. I've (briefly) considered it, too. That's not the kind of modification that's easily restored to original if you decide to sell someday.

Whats a 16 classic 2+2 ???? Any Pics?? Do you think it would kill re-sale value even if I'm starting with a boat with-out many stock items?

Also, I got a seasoned glass guy that owes me a few favors.

mattyboy
07-22-2009, 08:13 PM
why try ?? why not just buy an 18????

Donzi Vol
07-22-2009, 08:39 PM
I don't want to look like some A.H. walking into the Sisteen Chapel with a paint roller---

Haha. I suppose that "A.H." is asshat. I think that is simply one of the funniest insults out there.

But anyhoo, back to the topic at hand. The 16 2+2 is currently being made. They refer to it as the 16 Classic. It looks just like the 18 2+3 cockpit. I'm not sure what year they started making them, but it hasn't been around too long. If you're in a position to buy something other than a sweet 16, it would be a good option, but there's always the 18 to step up to :)

As for changing it around...it's more than I would want to take on, but to each his own. Good luck either way!

All the best,
David

Canvas Man
07-22-2009, 08:57 PM
why try ?? why not just buy an 18????

I already own the 16, and I am ready to start a much needed restoration/repower. I have owned the boat for more than half of my life, and I can't see giving her up just yet. Like I said---Just a thought, looking for feed back + or -.

Thanks,
Keith

mattyboy
07-22-2009, 09:02 PM
then go for it

Sweet Cheekz
07-22-2009, 09:38 PM
It is some work but it doubles the amount of seating when the going gets a little bumpier. Good luck
Parnell

Canvas Man
07-22-2009, 09:50 PM
Very nice,

What year is that?
Are the seats bolted right to the floor, or is there still the stubby pedestal?

RedDog
07-22-2009, 10:14 PM
If it was me - which it isn't, I wouldn't do it. Sell it as is and buy a 16 with the 2+2 arrangement. The mod sounds very costly

Besides - I kinda like the L-arrangement (never been in one though)

The Hedgehog
07-22-2009, 10:24 PM
It is some work but it doubles the amount of seating when the going gets a little bumpier. Good luck
Parnell

That's just wrong! I love it.

Nice job

Donzi Vol
07-22-2009, 10:28 PM
If it was me - which it isn't, I wouldn't do it. Sell it as is and buy a 16 with the 2+2 arrangement. The mod sounds very costly

Besides - I kinda like the L-arrangement (never been in one though)

You've been in one before, Tim. Don't you remember boarding the outboard when the operator couldn't get it started? :lookaroun:

yeller
07-23-2009, 12:13 AM
How much work it is, depends on how you want it finished. I'm not talking about quality, but style.
If you want to retain the classic's "tub" style cockpit, where the sides and floor are fiberglass and part of the deck, then that (to me) would be a lot of work.

If you don't mind loosing the "tub", then it's not too difficult, if you are planing to rip your boat apart and replacing stingers and bulkheads as well. If your capable of doing that type of work, then you can easily convert your seating.

I built, splashed, stole, ripped off, scabbed, (whatever you want to call it), my own 16 from a friends molds. (There's a few 16 molds around my area that were popped from a real 16 many years ago). The deck had the L seating, but I wanted a back bench and 2 buckets. I took a saw and starting at the bottom of the dash, I ran the saw around the side of the "tub" (that didn't have the bench seat) and towards the back seat (while maintaining the same height as the dash bottom). I cut towards the back seat and then radiused the cut down to the front of the seat base and cut across the front of the seat base right at the edge (where the vertical base meets the horizontal front of the seat base). Where the back seat 90'd and ran up the side of the boat, I continued to saw straight across, then up the side and to the front dash.

So now you basically have no "tub" left, but you do have a back bench seat. I placed a bulkhead just underneath the front of the back seat base which did 3 things. 1, it was a bulkhead. 2, it supported the front of the back seat base and 3, it became the front (vertical) part of the back seat base. I built a (glassed) plywood floor, lowering it 4" from original and carpeted the floor, seat base front, and the now exposed hull sides. It turned out extremely well.

Not sure if anything I said makes sense, but if you look at the pics posted by Sweet Cheekz, you can see how he cut the "tub" at the same height as the dash, around the sides, and down to the front of the back seat base.

How it looks in the end is determined in how you finish it off.........Sweet Cheekz took it to a whole new level.

MDonziM
07-23-2009, 06:50 AM
I had a 16 L seat for years and rarely found the passenger "comfortable" and dont know if a bucket would have helped.:) Personally I think the 16 2+3's I've seen look a little cramped. I do think Cheekz's looks really cool but it depends how important the orig. look is to you. I also think Yellers points about the floor height are important, you want to feel "in" the boat not "on" it.

zedohsix
07-23-2009, 06:50 AM
I have a 16 that the previous owner had a removable bench seat made, just remove the helm seat, it sat on the pedistal then clamped on the L section
Don't know how to download foto but if someone wants a foto let me know and I will forward
:canada:

Canvas Man
07-23-2009, 07:59 AM
WOW !!

Thanks for the great feed back. You Guys ROCK!

Sweet Cheekz certainly raized the bar.

Yeller..Thanks for the details, interesting idea about dropping the floor a bit. I never thought of that.

If you've never been side saddle in a 16' (I've only sat there a few times my self), it's fine in smooth water, at a moderate speed. Throw in a little chop, and it starts to get a little nervy. Get into some seas and you need a Kidney belt. 60 mph from the helm seat ( with the wheel and throttle in your hands) is an awesome ride---60 side saddle ( when the boat feels a little "squirley" ) can make you feel just a little "Girlie".

Again JUST a thought.

zedohsix
07-23-2009, 08:24 AM
the 16 I have with the bench seat was done by bjh517, if you check his posts, under Donzi for sale there are pictures of the seating.
I am in the Toronto area and do not need the bench if anyone is interested

Canvas Man
07-23-2009, 08:38 AM
the 16 I have with the bench seat was done by bjh517, if you check his posts, under Donzi for sale there are pictures of the seating.
I am in the Toronto area and do not need the bench if anyone is interested

I'd LOVE to see the pics... but I didn't see it in the for sale section..Got a Date when it was posted or a link???

Thanks

zedohsix
07-23-2009, 08:40 AM
if you go to search and type in bjh517 you will come up with his posts donzi 4 sale

Sweet Cheekz
07-23-2009, 08:45 AM
Yeller Do you still have this boat? Do you have any pics? I know from your description exactly what you did and it sounds great. In my case I had a rotted bench seat most of the way around The wood poured out from the glass when I removed it so I had no choice. I also lowered the floor and put in bulkheads for strength. I also wanted storage under the bench seat so I spent a great deal of time building and sanding the two compartments. It was important to retain the bathtub line around the top of the deck but by cutting below it I also got side rails for more storage for lines ect.
The L shaped bench is great for a smooth ride and makes the interior bigger but don't take passengers out in rough water and go fast. It's dangerous. The video I posted a month ago would not have been possible with someone riding in the L seat. It really depends on how you run the boat.
My seats are bolted to 2 rails that are glassed to the floor They come out with 4 bolts and since it's the only way to get under the dash I have taken them out a fair amount while I'm finishing all the little details that are left or if something breaks or needs checking.

M It is cramped but great for two people

BTW the boats a 79

Parnell

yeller
07-23-2009, 10:13 AM
Yeller Do you still have this boat? Do you have any pics? I know from your description exactly what you did and it sounds great. In my case I had a rotted bench seat most of the way around The wood poured out from the glass when I removed it so I had no choice. I also lowered the floor and put in bulkheads for strength. I also wanted storage under the bench seat so I spent a great deal of time building and sanding the two compartments. It was important to retain the bathtub line around the top of the deck but by cutting below it I also got side rails for more storage for lines ect.

My seats are bolted to 2 rails that are glassed to the floor They come out with 4 bolts and since it's the only way to get under the dash I have taken them out a fair amount while I'm finishing all the little details that are left or if something breaks or needs checking.

M It is cramped but great for two people

BTW the boats a 79

ParnellUnfortunately, I don't have any digital pics of the boat. I haven't tried to scan the few 'paper' pics I have of it. I'll give it a try later. I sold the boat a few years ago. Wish I still had it. I still say the 16 is waaaayyyy more fun to drive than a 22.

I like how you utilized the sides for storage. Like you I also made storage boxes under the back seat. All 16's are cramped, but I didn't find mine overly tight. Because I removed the sides of the cockpit, the floor area became bigger than a factory boat and I actually felt I had more room than ones uses the L seating.

Canvas Man
07-23-2009, 12:37 PM
if you go to search and type in bjh517 you will come up with his posts donzi 4 sale

That looks like it might be just the ticket for me:). I can get the comfort factor for the wife, without sacrificing the origional design. Great Idea bjh517.

Thanks for all the help---I'll post some pics when I get er done..

Sweet Cheekz
07-23-2009, 01:11 PM
That is a really clever idea Post pics of yours when you get it done
Parnell

Bobby D
07-23-2009, 03:30 PM
Here you go.

zedohsix
07-24-2009, 09:06 AM
I'm not using the bench seat, anyone who wants it can have, all they have to di is pick it up, Toronto area

chip w
07-24-2009, 02:03 PM
After reading everyone's comments about passenger "comfort" in the 16' "L" seat I brought it up with my wife last night. Her comment was that if it was more comfortable she'd want to spend more time on the boat! Say that the back of the seat catches her so low in the back that it really hurts, especially over waves and that any time we spend on the bay or gulf isn't something she looks forward to. So, I think I'm going to put it out there for sale and move in to something with 2 buckets, probably and 18' as that will still work well on our small ski lake that w elive near. There are a couple of 18's here in FL that look pretty nice that we'd like to look at. Will post it in the For Sale section, reasonable of course and see if anyone is interested.

yeller
07-24-2009, 02:20 PM
I couldn't find my pics of my finished boat. Only the ones during construction. This pic shows the 'cut-away' and the lowered floor. Looks like a lied a bit in my previous post about bulkhead location. I placed the bulkhead in front of the seat base and not under it (for support). Don't know why I did it that way, doesn't make sense to me now.

The L seating on my boat was on the starboard side which is opposite from the other pics posted. Anyone know if all years were on the port side, or just certain ones?

Canvas Man
07-24-2009, 05:25 PM
I'm PRETTY sure that the port side helm on the older 16' Donzi was because of the left handed screw -or was it the other way around???
Kind of a Chicken or the Egg senario. I'm sure someone knows for sure (Mattyboy ? )

How did you finish the inside of the cockpit? Paint, Carpet ? If you come across any pics of the finished product I'd love to see them. I really like the idea of the added comfort of 2 "helm" seats (with leg room for both). I'd still like to see pictures of the 2+3 I hear about. Is it just like the 18' cockpit?

yeller
07-25-2009, 01:19 PM
How did you finish the inside of the cockpit? Paint, Carpet ? If you come across any pics of the finished product I'd love to see them.Carpet on the floor, up the hull sides and on the front of the back seat base. I'd like to see pics of the finished product too. :wink: I don't know what happened to them. We moved about a year ago to a smaller house and never unpacked everything, so they may be in a box somewhere.
I put up a couple pics of it on the very 1st post I ever made here, but couldn't find that either. (I think a bunch of stuff was lost awhile back when there was a server change).

yeller
07-25-2009, 02:13 PM
Ok, you made me look. I finally found some old pics to scan.

I never had a mold for the engine hatch, so I curved some plywood, glassed it, and upholstered it.

Only had a partial pic of the dash. In the center of the dash, that's the stereo hanging down. I dropped the dash about 6" in the center to accommodate the stereo.

Also had to throw in a pic of my matching tow rig I had at the time. I know....trailer sucks, but I had to wait a few years before I was able to replace it.

yeller
07-25-2009, 02:29 PM
Found another pic that shows the amount of room between the buckets. It is of the original dash which I changed shortly after doing because I didn't like it.

On a side note, I put the steering on the port side because I used a jetdrive and wanted to use the foot throttle with my right foot and I couldn't mount it properly with starboard steering.

MOP
07-25-2009, 03:30 PM
Here you go.

Thanks Bobby for finding the pictures of the bench I was talking about, nice neat setup that does not screw up the 16. Phil P.S. very nice job Yeller

yeller
07-26-2009, 02:51 AM
I was going through my 'User CP' and found a link to all my past attachments. Didn't know that was there till now. Here's a link to the original pics of my boat: http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=36825&page=2

Oh, BTW, in case your wondering why the upholstery on the back seat rest is split like it is (post #32), that's because the jetdrive I used pushed the motor into the base of the back seat and I had to notch the seat back to clear the valve covers. With the jet, the motor sat much lower than an outdrive. The valve covers were actually only about 1~2" higher than the seat base.

Sorry about taking over you thread Canvas Man. I just got excited seeing the pics of my old boat. Plus I had to add the link because it shows the boat on a worthy trailer. :wink: I truly wish I still had it.

Canvas Man
07-26-2009, 02:18 PM
Nice Job on the 16 Yeller!

Not everybody can pull off a hot pink wheel like that :thumbsup:. Thanks for taking the time to dig up the pics, it's been very helpful to get other ideas, and to see how other people have approached the matter of the "side saddle - shotgun seat". Sorry to hear that you miss the boat. You should subscribe to my motto " NEVER SELL ANYTHING !". I may have to change my way of thinking though, cause I'm running out of room, and my wife is starting to look at the classifieds to see how much my old crap is worth. If any body see's my boat in the for sale forum, let me know. :)