PDA

View Full Version : Help with Donzi ID?

Rob.k.
07-22-2009, 05:13 PM
Hi all and Greetings from Australia.

Can anyone help with Id'ing this boat that I'm looking at buying.

I can tell you its an 18'er and was built in Australia and its supposed to be a Donzi hull, can anyone confirm the hull for me?

If it is a Donzi, what can i expect performance wise in rough seas and in general?

Also any idea on vintage would be terrific too.

Any insite much appreciated, thanks.

Rob.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a125/robbierat/boatpics.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a125/robbierat/bd5060263371783597395.jpg

Lenny
07-22-2009, 05:25 PM
Hull looks "like" an 18. As for freeboard with that tall deck, I am a bit curious. ??? What OB Merc is that out back ?

Rob.k.
07-22-2009, 05:52 PM
Hi Lenny and thanks for the reply,

The Merc is an early 90's 75hp, hardly ideal i know and would be the first thing on the upgrade list should i go ahead with the sale.

Rob

Lenny
07-22-2009, 06:28 PM
I'd guess you would see about 35 GPS with that combo... you would not like the freeboard for ocean use there tho IMO unless you upped the power about 200 more ponies... GREAT hull at speed but not one to sit around in bobbing in waves or jigging etc ... ( again, IMO )

Rob.k.
07-22-2009, 06:35 PM
I'd guess you would see about 35 GPS with that combo... you would not like the freeboard for ocean use

Sorry Lenny, i don't follow 35GPS AND FREEBOARD, I'm new to boats, so could you please expain.Sorry to be a PIA.

Canvas Man
07-22-2009, 07:02 PM
GPS stands for Global Positioning System (Satellites). 35 Gps means ---35 miles per hour calculated by GPS unit ( very accurate speed measurement).

Freeboard is the measurement from the "waterline" to the rub-rail ( at rest ). A boat with very little freeboard sits low in the water---A boat with a lot of freeboard sits very high in the water.

Also a good picture of the transom would be helpful. Donzi hulls in that length have a fairly distinctive "flat spot" on the keel.

Rob.k.
07-22-2009, 07:09 PM
Thanks for clearing that up Canvas Man.

fogducker III
07-22-2009, 07:31 PM
GPS stands for Global Positioning System (Satellites). 35 Gps means ---35 miles per hour calculated by GPS unit ( very accurate speed measurement).

Freeboard is the measurement from the "waterline" to the rub-rail ( at rest ). A boat with very little freeboard sits low in the water---A boat with a lot of freeboard sits very high in the water.

Also a good picture of the transom would be helpful. Donzi hulls in that length have a fairly distinctive "flat spot" on the keel.

18 with a "flat spot" on the keel? :confused:

Welcome to the board Rob, I agree with Lenny on this one (although I hate to agree with him..:wink:)

If it is a Donzi hull, with that cabin "thingy" and the low power, your gonna have trouble........:eek:

Is there a HIN? Hull ID number? Usually on the starboard upper side on the transom on the outside, just under the rub rail...?

If it is an "early" hull, people wiser than I will tell you where and how you can id it.........good luck either way.

Lenny
07-22-2009, 07:42 PM

The flat spot you are referring to is the area ON THE TRANSOM where an I/O rubber gasket goes onto the transom assembly for waterproof mating to the (hull) The transom on an 18 is a thing of beauty with quite a few + and - "rolls" in it other than this mating area that is about 16" wide.

BUT, since this is an Outboard modification you will not see it. Keep in mind Glasply copied the 18' hull and made quite a few boats. ( as did a billion others) If you have Glasply boats there in Australia then this could be one of those too. ( still an 18 bottom tho ;) )

The keel on 18's does not have a flat spot. ( as in the center of the bottom) , it should be an 18" radius there.

Transom pic would be helpful.

Rob.k.
07-22-2009, 07:44 PM
Cheers for the welcome fogducker 111.

I couldn't find a any numbers on the hull:confused:

Heres a pic of the rear, its prolly not much help though.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a125/robbierat/bd4808945098982524954.jpg

Rob.k.
07-22-2009, 08:02 PM
FWIW, there is no flat spot on the keel.

Lenny, Glaspy, I've herd that name mentioned in the past, pretty sure the dealer mentioned that.I'll check into it.

Canvas Man
07-22-2009, 09:11 PM
The flat spot you are referring to is the area ON THE TRANSOM where an I/O rubber gasket goes onto the transom assembly for waterproof mating to the (hull) The transom on an 18 is a thing of beauty with quite a few + and - "rolls" in it other than this mating area that is about 16" wide.

BUT, since this is an Outboard modification you will not see it. Keep in mind Glasply copied the 18' hull and made quite a few boats. ( as did a billion others) If you have Glasply boats there in Australia then this could be one of those too. ( still an 18 bottom tho ;) )

The keel on 18's does not have a flat spot. ( as in the center of the bottom) , it should be an 18" radius there.

Transom pic would be helpful.

I stand corrected. Please feel free to print my earlier comments, on very soft paper....:toiletpap:toiletpap:toiletpap:toiletpap

Lenny
07-22-2009, 09:48 PM
No problem :D :D :D

:)