PDA

View Full Version : Nothing like smelling SMOKE!

MOP
07-22-2009, 05:45 AM
4:45AM dead asleep Bonnie screams SMOKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Total stupor but freaked out we fly down down the stairs and out the front door, street and front yard is full of fire trucks, police cars. Enough smoke outside to make it look hazy, next door neighbors house is on fire. Response time by our volunteers was like lightening, the had water on the fire by 5:00 lucky us fire house is one mile away.
Thankfully turned out to be not too bad, an automatic spotlight shorted out and set the corner of the house on fire. Fire chief said not real common but with the two big bulbs they get very hot! Just a few weeks back I had replaced my units and installed LED spots, the LED spots are only 5 watts and cool to the touch even when on for a long time. The LED's are not cheap but now give me great comfort, I bought them to save on electric they provide about 75% as much light as the 100 watt they replaced. For your families sake you may want to look into the LED's!!!!

zelatore
07-22-2009, 10:38 AM
Just last weekend I had almost the exact same thing happen. About 3:00 AM Michele wakes me up saying - 'I smell smoke!'. I'm not really awake yet, but it's definitely in the air. I come out of bed in a rush and start checking things around the house to find nothing. Outside I can smell it (dark, so I can't see anything in the air) but can't see any signs of where it's coming from around my place or any of the neighbor's. Never did figure out where it came from, but we smelled it again the next night, just not as bad.

We're also close to the local vol. fire department. Heck, the town's so small EVERYBODY is within a mile. We never heard them roll out, and we always hear them when they go on a run so I guess it wasn't much of a big deal.

Given that we heat the place in the winter with a wood stove, we're attuned to the smell of smoke. :yes: