PDA

View Full Version : Drive stand caster blowout.......

gcarter
07-21-2009, 12:37 PM
My $85.00 drive stand that's been dutifully holding up my B I for two years got moved around a few times the other day.
All four of the caster's treads blew out! :nilly:
So I changed out the cheap Chinese plastic casters for some slightly more expensive Chinese, but smaller in diameter, new casters from HD.
I guess I need to look on the McMaster site and find some real industrial quality casters.

I know one thing, I'd rather wheel the drive around than carry it! :)

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=48352&stc=1&d=1248197818

Lenny
07-21-2009, 01:22 PM
Must be due to the high lead/melamine content in the surface... ;)

George, I do not do anything "Chinese" if I can help it.

:)

BlownCrewCab
07-21-2009, 02:02 PM
I guess they have surpassed their expiration date, Hard to fathom them all going at once....

zelatore
07-21-2009, 02:12 PM
Hmmmm.....If I remember correctly George also has a Ford Explorer. And a few years ago they were known for having blowouts as well.

Were these Chinese made Firestone casters?

Is there a connection? Should we move this over to the politics/conspiracy theory section?

BUIZILLA
07-21-2009, 03:09 PM
did you check the date codes in the sidewalls ?

roadtrip se
07-21-2009, 03:23 PM
Chinese Goodyear Marathons? :nilly: :nilly:

and My-Blows or I guess, Did-Blows, wouldn't it be...

Chinese Firestone Carlisle Casters?

Never met a Carlisle I couldn't stand.. nice rubber.

gcarter
07-21-2009, 05:00 PM
Well, after all the razzing, I hope you (George) and the B1 are OK :) :)
Yep, I'm fine and the worst that happened was a little wobble...... kind of like a little chine walk.....but I took control and drove it from the corner of the shop to the table safely.
I did find some nice castors on McMaster, but they're over 2X the amount as the replacements.
At least the Chinese replacements from HD are rubber and not plastic.
We'll see if they last more than two years.

MOP
07-21-2009, 07:57 PM
The rubber came off the ones at my buddies shop awhile back he trimmed off the scrapes off and is still using them as is, they look Ok and so far so good.

Cuda
07-21-2009, 09:42 PM
I bolted 4 Home Depot casters to the bottom of a pallet. I had an engine on it, but now I have an antique claw foot tub I'm refinishing. No blow outs so far. :)

joel3078
07-22-2009, 09:16 AM
go to www.sears.com (http://www.sears.com) and type in casters in the search field. Yup they sell casters for roll around tool boxes/chests and other stuff too. When is the last time you heard of a pro series big ass tool chest blowing out a caster.

Lenny
07-22-2009, 03:43 PM
So George, just so you know we are now even,...

a couple weeks ago a log showed up on our beach at the cottage. I chain sawed it all up, ( not just a regular log like the other 500 but a "Boom" log, first growth fir :eek: that escaped from a log boom in tow) and Deneen and I spent an afternoon carrying the rounds along the beach, up our stairs and to the woodshed. About a 60-65' long beast in all and still quite dry. So anyways, yesterday I went over there after work in a 12' boat, with a fridge dolly on board and a new fridge and my new "splitting maul" for splitting this wood., and after more pain and suffering from carrying this fridge into/out of the boat, up a ramp at the wharf, along a dirt road and then down a 550' trail to the house. :rolleyes: and taking off door hinges and such it got into the house. SO, then a quick couple of beers before heading back to the marina http://marinas.com/view/marina/13004_Canoe_Cove_Marina_North_Saanich_BC ( fourth picture down on the far right shows the Cottage Island in the top, Ferry Terminal in mid left and Marina where I keep the little boat to go back and forth to the Cottage) I decided to try my "new" never used 8 pound maul on a round.

Well, very FIRST swing the head goes into the fir round, the handle shatters into two pieces and the interior of the wood handle is rotten and red :mad: Yep, Made in China and I didn't look at it closely when I bought it a week ago.

So, as I type, I am heading off to the wood chopping specialty store and taking it back and buying American/Canadian. / :yes:

One swing was all I got out of it.

We're even :D

gcarter
07-22-2009, 03:52 PM
Well Lenny, you're a glutton for punishment.
That sounds like an awful lot of work and I hope it's all worth it.
I think Todd would say something about "hickory or nothin'"!:)

boxy
07-22-2009, 04:03 PM
So, as I type, I am heading off to the wood chopping specialty store and taking it back and buying American/Canadian. / :yes:

One swing was all I got out of it.

We're even :D

Lenny, are these the guys ....

http://www.surfwoodsupply.com/

zelatore
07-22-2009, 06:54 PM
Funny, I'm sure I still have an old maul around somewhere but I've forgotten where I put it since I got that fancy new 'power maul' with the Honda motor...

Lenny
07-22-2009, 07:49 PM
Lenny, are these the guys ....

http://www.surfwoodsupply.com/

Yep, 827 Station Ave is about 20 minutes from my house and about 5 minutes from work ;)

roadtrip se
07-22-2009, 08:17 PM
Well Lenny, you're a glutton for punishment.
That sounds like an awful lot of work and I hope it's all worth it.
I think Todd would say something about "hickory or nothin'"!:)

I like a composite handle on my maul when splitting hickory for the smoker.

Probably made in China too, but I have yet to break one.

Just Say N20
07-22-2009, 10:13 PM
From a guy who has split more than his share of wood, and probably broken more handles than anyone on the site (not something to be proud of), and has tried every splitting (hand) device I could find, the best I ever had, actually still have, was called the Monster Maul, by the now out-of-business Sotz company. I think I read somewhere they sold over a million of them.

It has a 12 lbs or 16 lbs head that is a triangularly shaped piece of steel and a metal handle. Indestructible! Wouldn't own anything else. I tried one of the lighter (8 lbs) imitations and it sucked.

This is the closest I can find to a replacement. Even though 12 or 16 lbs sounds heavy, if you are used to swinging an 8 lbs sledge, you get used to it, and don't try and swing it so fast. They DON'T get stuck, and you CAN'T break the handle.

http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=15780&productid=15780&channelid=NEXTA

Lenny
07-22-2009, 10:31 PM
Very cool. :yes: Looks indestructable !

This thread is now Officially totally off track :D

Had to do it :kingme: