PDA

View Full Version : Pics of the new project 16

reflexbug
07-20-2009, 09:34 AM
Here are some pics of the new project.

It doesn't have any numbers on it where it should behind the dash... anyone know how to spot a splash? I couldn't find any up in the front either... but I'll have the deck off and can check then. I'm also going to try to hunt it down from the old Reg numbers.

It's rough and needs everything, but the hull is solid and straight with no previous repair damage visible. I think someone along the way has put another layer of glass in the engine bay, but that's it. I'm going to look at another one that is complete in a few weeks that may be a better candidate and use this one for parts. We'll see. The deck has also been off, or the cockpit cut (haven't looked close enough to tell which), because it has what appears to be a fiberglass gas tank in it.

Anyone have any idea about what year-ish it could be?

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd67/ReflexTuning/donzi/DSC_0533.jpg

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd67/ReflexTuning/donzi/DSC_0537.jpg

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd67/ReflexTuning/donzi/DSC_0535.jpg

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd67/ReflexTuning/donzi/DSC_0542.jpg

mattyboy
07-20-2009, 09:46 AM
well not sure on the boat but i can tell you that ain't new hampshire ;)

when you split the deck look by the bow eye for the hull number looks like a volvo cut out once you have it apart you might now more

Donzi Vol
07-20-2009, 09:52 AM
Wow. Cool stuff...gotta love the old ones. I'm a novice, but it doesn't look like a splash to me. If so, they went to a lot of attention to detail, primarily the vents over the transom. With those vents it's a '64-67ish model, right matty? (I run everything by mattyboy now...just to keep him on his toes! :wink:)

Good luck with the resto. I'm really looking forward to seeing it!

All the best

BERTRAM BOY
07-20-2009, 10:07 AM
'64's and some '65's didn't have vents.

Just Say N20
07-20-2009, 10:20 AM
The grab rail is on backwards :lol9:

Welcome to the sickness. :biggrin:

olredalert
07-20-2009, 10:30 AM
------It also has the vent hole in the front of the back seat!!! Exhaust is pretty high for old Volvo/HM exhaust. Those old HM manifolds used to exit much closer to the waterline. There are also holes for one chrome scoop per side, it looks like........Bill S

reflexbug
07-20-2009, 11:00 AM
Thanks for the quick replies. Those pictures were taken in NJ :) I am not sure if the exhaust cutouts are original. Is there supposed to be a basket weave type glass mat in the engine bay?

smbarcelow
07-20-2009, 11:09 AM
The exhaust appears to exit just about where mine does in relation to the Volvo drive cutout. Perhaps it was once powered by a SBC.

reflexbug
07-20-2009, 11:17 AM
That could make sense with the SBC...someone modified the engine cover and made a hump in it....

Sweet Cheekz
07-20-2009, 11:31 AM
Another classic that will be brought back from the almost dead Great project boat Good Luck
Parnell

smbarcelow
07-20-2009, 11:47 AM
Here's a pic of the back of my boat, for comparison.

reflexbug
07-20-2009, 03:09 PM
The exhaust cutouts have definitely been modified. You can see the left one sits much higher than the right.

mrfixxall
07-20-2009, 04:09 PM
The exhaust cutouts have definitely been modified. You can see the left one sits much higher than the right.

their not going to be when its cocked on the reailer:)

watch!!!! he finds a crt at the beginning of the hin #:biggrin.:

BigGrizzly
07-20-2009, 04:28 PM
This guy had external cable steering on that.

reflexbug
07-20-2009, 05:12 PM
their not going to be when its cocked on the reailer:)

watch!!!! he finds a crt at the beginning of the hin #:biggrin.:

haha....it is still uneven by a finger or two :wink: What does a "crt" mean?

Sweet Cheekz
07-20-2009, 06:05 PM
Cigarette Racing Team

reflexbug
07-20-2009, 06:36 PM
So if it was a crt is that uncommon?

Sweet Cheekz
07-20-2009, 10:11 PM
Extremely if it's in the hull identification number of your Donzi. :shocking:

Parnell

BigGrizzly
07-21-2009, 07:39 AM
I was looking at this closely and the exhaust are the same as ours nut the vent is not in the center like ours. Ours is all original except the engine and inrernal gears and foot-collateral damage.

mattyboy
07-21-2009, 11:05 AM
big question is what does the boat measure out to , the dash and holes cut in this thing make no sense, if the dash shows no sign of being worked on you might have a splash. also on the transom is it all wood or is there an hour glass shaped core in the transom
??

reflexbug
07-21-2009, 11:37 AM
Someone made a mess of the dash... filled in original stuff and added some "extra" holes for some gauges of some sort. The boat measures out at exactly 200 inches, or 16ft 8in. It looks like the transom is all wood, but also looks like someone's messed with that too... there's some almost basket-weave looking glass all over the inside of the engine bay. I'll grab some pics as soon as the weather breaks this afternoon.

robertbj
07-21-2009, 12:22 PM
This is where the hull numbers were behind the dash of my "66". N20's were in the same spot on his "67".

reflexbug
07-21-2009, 12:44 PM
This guy had external cable steering on that.

how can you tell? It's got a 'teleflex' something or other under the dash, and some sort of ram in the engine bay... not sure if any of it is good, or connected, or anything. I'll grab pics of that stuff too.

I looked under the dash in that spot, and the glasswork looks the same as in the pic, but no writing or numbers. There is some writing on the underside of the deck, near the gas filler, but I can't make any of it out :( It also looks like the deck originally had the 3x3 balsa pieces which are long gone... so I'm leaning toward thinking that this is a real one, but anything is possible.