PDA

View Full Version : Nada prices vrs for sale prices

johneboy2001
07-20-2009, 12:53 AM
I am selling a sweet 16, asking 9500.xA buyer has offerd me 4700 which is the nada average price. I have checked sale prices everywhere on the net and 9k seems very reasonable. Why is the book value so far from reality?

John

jg480
07-20-2009, 05:24 AM
It could be that the Nada price is "average wholesale" and not "average retail".

RW2003
07-20-2009, 06:48 AM
I just looked up NADA for a GT 21 and the NADA "Retail" is under $2,000. Seems too low!!!

http://www.nadaguides.com/default.aspx?LI=1-24-38-5697-0-0-0&l=1&w=24&p=38&f=5698&m=0493&d=1600058132&y=1975&ml=D&gc=MR&gtc=MR

VetteLT193
07-20-2009, 07:25 AM
I think NADA collects their data from only a certain area, like dealer sales or something. Based on limited dealer sales, I am guessing they extrapolate the data from there.

When I bought my Minx, the NADA of it was higher than a 22 of the same year. It was nuts.

johneboy2001
07-20-2009, 09:16 AM
Here's the actual numbers.
Nada value for 94 Swt 16 / stereo/ covers 5195
Here are the asking prices of 16's around that year

1990 10.4k
1995 13.5k
1993 13.9k
1999 11 k
1994 8.9k

Is'nt Nada supposed to reflect reality not drive it?

BUIZILLA
07-20-2009, 09:27 AM
that's some wacko numbers.... :nilly:

johneboy2001
07-20-2009, 09:33 AM
A little more info. I just asked a broker about this. His response was that Nada is mainly used by dealers to establish trade in values and is in fact low. Electronic marine blue book (abos) value is 7130 and is a more accurate reflection of the market.

Donzi Vol
07-20-2009, 09:58 AM
Yeah, generally speaking NADA is too low. Throw us some details of your boat, and we might be able to give you a range. That is, if you'd like the assistance. No worries if not.

[Now guys, let's keep it to a range. Remember there's no "price is right" in boat values, and we'd hate to offend anyone.:)]

All the best,
David

Donzi Vol
07-20-2009, 09:59 AM
that's some wacko numbers.... :nilly:

I concur. Kinda all over the place.

johneboy2001
07-20-2009, 11:19 AM
Yeah, generally speaking NADA is too low. Throw us some details of your boat, and we might be able to give you a range. That is, if you'd like the assistance. No worries if not.

[Now guys, let's keep it to a range. Remember there's no "price is right" in boat values, and we'd hate to offend anyone.:)]

All the best,
David

Thanks for the offer. It's really just a stock 94 bought new in late summer of 96. 4.3 Merc. Stereo, no trim tabs. I'm the original owner. To be honest I hate the idea of selling it. But I got talked into selling and going in a larger deck boat with a buddie. The only thing wrong is the rub rails should be replaced. I am willing to do this. Here's a couple more pics.
John

joel3078
07-20-2009, 11:39 AM
I went thru this BS when I sold my boat. NADA pricing is for average condition boat for the year. Most boats more than 7 years old are showing considerable wear. 10-15 year old boats are wore out, broken, bad interior, bad drive train, etc. NADA does not tell you what a boat is worth when it's older and in great shape. This is were recent sales data comes in handy. You as a seller have to decide your lowest price you will take and stick to it. Anything you get over that lowest price is up to you to decide how you will celebrate. Good luck selling your boat. :crossfing:

2bar
07-21-2009, 09:28 AM
Sounds to me like the buyer knows what it's worth, or he wouldn't be shopping a Donzi 16 in the first place, but is looking to steal it and know he'll turn a tidy profit if/when he sells it.

I think the boat market is horrid right now, and nobody in MN buys anything after the 4th it seems, but I wouldn't let it go for less than $8K. I've seen your ad on CL here in town(or an identical one), but I'm not shopping this year. Pick your price and stick to it, they don't come up around here often, and you have good colors. FWIW, my buddy just sold a '90 Mercedes SL for $9K, book value was around $5K. The right buyer is all you need.

I sold my 23' Supra 3 years ago for $13K, it was a '91, so I've been through a similar situation trying to get a reasonable sum such as for your Donzi when they are that old. It was back up on CL this year for $6500. I about died. Should've bought it back!

Good Luck!

joel3078
07-21-2009, 10:19 AM
As crazy as it sounds I sold both of my boats in the winter. Walleye boat when it was 10 below zero in the garage - shortly after the boat show in January. Black Widow had 3 showings in winter and had to move it in December from storage to my house. 3rd viewer bought it March - 38 above zero and the damn thing fired up on the 2nd try. Had to buy new garden hoses at walmart to run the water to the motor muff. Then ran 10 gallons of pink RV fluid to rewinterize it. This is the kind of stuff you must be willing to do in order to sell a boat yourself.

johneboy2001
07-21-2009, 03:11 PM
Sounds to me like the buyer knows what it's worth, or he wouldn't be shopping a Donzi 16 in the first place, but is looking to steal it and know he'll turn a tidy profit if/when he sells it.

I think the boat market is horrid right now, and nobody in MN buys anything after the 4th it seems, but I wouldn't let it go for less than $8K. I've seen your ad on CL here in town(or an identical one), but I'm not shopping this year. Pick your price and stick to it, they don't come up around here often, and you have good colors. FWIW, my buddy just sold a '90 Mercedes SL for $9K, book value was around $5K. The right buyer is all you need.

I sold my 23' Supra 3 years ago for $13K, it was a '91, so I've been through a similar situation trying to get a reasonable sum such as for your Donzi when they are that old. It was back up on CL this year for $6500. I about died. Should've bought it back!

Good Luck!

Thanks. After reading this forum a bit I'm not so sure I want to let it go.
I took the new deck boat out on the 4th an saw a 16 wipping around and thought , what I traded that so I could be a bus driver. But I'll hold firm for no less than 8k and we'll see.
John

2bar
07-21-2009, 03:17 PM
Thanks. After reading this forum a bit I'm not so sure I want to let it go.
I took the new deck boat out on the 4th an saw a 16 wipping around and thought , what I traded that so I could be a bus driver. But I'll hold firm for no less than 8k and we'll see.
John

Keep it if you can! LOL about the bus driver, that's about exactly what that deck boat is, a glorified taxi/bus/rickshaw to get you from point a to b. There's little fun in that! Well, unless you put a 12' high stipper pole on that back with an 8x8' mirrored floor like on the 'Money Shot' out on Lake Mtka. :kingme:

Carpe Donzi
07-21-2009, 06:13 PM
One pricing source might be comprised of owners or recent sellers, having completed transactions in, say, the last two years. Broken down by price, specifics as to condition, and inclusion of trailer and other options. Completely voluntary by this site's participants, and would work if the descriptions were accurate.

Any thoughts?

MOP
07-21-2009, 07:02 PM
Being an X yacht broker I learned way back to not trust NADA, it has caused the industry a lot of grief! There numbers do not reflect actual sales! My old boss formed a company called Value Fact, which did valuations for the major lenders. We values hundreds of boats all over the east coast ans the lakes, we did physical inspections with photos and a very in depth description. We accompanied that with a minimum of three current price comps. I think some of these companies read a news paper check prices then guess at what the boat sold for.!!!!!

mattyboy
07-22-2009, 08:43 AM
there are so many factors with classic Donzi a book value or guide is hard to write.

these are some of the factors that effect what someone will pay for a classic

Hardware options:

HP
Drive
hi po upgrades
stereo
gauges

collectibilty/rarity/vintage

production numbers
limited or special editions
an era specific boat "aronow"

economic/market

the need for cash/ or to sell
the flood of used boats on the market
the flood of new boats at discounted prices

alot of factors to come up with to establish a guide.

one thing I have never seen like this before is the economy has forced the price gap between larger classic and smaller classics very close. a 16 might be at 9-10k but for 1-2k more the buyer can have a 22

Donzi Racer
07-22-2009, 09:43 AM
MATTY, can you email me at mishunaire@aol.com or call me at 256-777-0844? I have a question that only you might be able to answer for me. Thanks, Tom

Also I have not read this whole thread but something that happened the other day to us might help someone. Sold a Minx and when they went to a credit union to finance it, it booked for $5400. I am known to sell a bargain every now & again but $5400 is beyond a Bargain, so I had the lady at the credit union call me and I explained to her that the Donzi boat has many adds to it which have a extra value compared to other boats. There is a section in the NADA for these adds, so when I finished giving her the add ons it was booked at $10,025 plus the Trailer at $475 (yea Right) which came up to $10,500 for the boat and they were able to get the financing they needed. If I can help anyone with that, let me know at mishunaire@aol.com & I will help as much as I can. It works for some models and others are just too low to bring the adjusted value up to where it needs to be. I have about spent my life loving Donzi's without enough $ to afford the ones I really wanted because it was a hobby that usually takes money, not credit. Love of the Boat I got in Spades, Money,that is whole nother thing. Am trying to finish this trip from hell to get to the run in cape canaveral run this weekend. Ya'll Come!! Tell Momma an Dem we say HEY! No Racing until this weekend and then WATCH OUT! Here comes that Crazy Racer!!!! Tom

joseph m. hahnl
07-23-2009, 04:51 PM
It's the NADA price:eek:

" NADA" chance I will sell it for that :wink:

johneboy2001
07-24-2009, 11:59 PM
Well just thought I'd let everyone know how things turned out.
Thursday morning I signed the purchase agreement to sell my spec home that I've been sitting on for 7 months. 150k less than it should have been but better than giving it back. I was out on a job all day and completely forgot that the auction ended that afternoon. I got home around 7 and checked email and saw " Your Donzi sweet 16 has sold for 9500". My first case of sellers remorse.
John

fwi
07-25-2009, 10:52 AM
NADA means "nothing" in spanish!:biggrin::biggrin:

Pogyhouse
08-01-2009, 05:56 PM
Just some information on NADA. On low volume boats, cars, bikes etc, NADA has no way of calculating a value due to lack of reported sales. So, they use a depreciation formula, that on boats like DONZI's does not reflect actual retail values. In other words they WAG it "Wild Ass Guess".

As has been stated above, the market actually sets the price on these as most of them are sold private party...there for no reporting to NADA or any other price guide.

I happen to be a reporting dealer to NADA on the motorcycle side of things.

Hope this helps. Let's get out on the WATER!!!:shocking:

dr
08-02-2009, 05:59 AM
Thanks to everyone for the information and comments..I’m probably going to offer it for 10K-10,5K and sit tight….

Talk about holding value….Honda doesn’t have anything on Donzi’s as I purchased it new from a dealer for 13,800 late summer 1995…he was small shop in a small town in East Tennessee, primarly pontoons and fishing boats who thought he wanted to be a Donzi dealer…it was the only one her ever sold…

WifeHatesMyDonzi
08-02-2009, 06:19 AM
which dealership???

dr
08-02-2009, 11:27 AM
I think it was Reynolds Racing in Kingston TN...