PDA

View Full Version : 496 HO coolant question?

cherry82482
07-19-2009, 08:15 PM
Good evening,

I need some engine coolant advice concerning my 2004 496 HO engine. I need to add coolant to my closed loop cooling system. I know the coolant is orange, so I assume I can use GM dexcool antifreeze? Or do I have to purchase mercruiser marine specific antifreeze? Please help!!

Boatwrench
07-19-2009, 08:56 PM
GM Dexcool will work fine. You can mix any quality coolant in to top the system off. The red is a five year coolant though so it might be about time for a system flush?

mrfixxall
07-19-2009, 09:28 PM
Theirsalso one out their called global antifreeze,it worksin everything if you get into a pinch.

gcarter
07-19-2009, 09:39 PM
I'd go for a flush. Then you'll know.
When you refill, mix the antifreeze w/a like amount of of RO, distilled, or DI (pure) water in a clean bucket. Stir thoroughly and fill.
If you have any left over, put it back in one of the gallon jugs.
Then you'll have some pre-mixed to top up the next time.

LKSD
07-20-2009, 09:07 AM
Flush it out & use a Shell or other type red/oarange ELC style coolant. They are similar to the dexcool type antifreezes, but last longer & Do not break down as easily. They also have more lubricity to them which make it easier on water pumps. It also seems to cool a bit more efficently. When ever I have to do a major repair, or a service that requires the coolant drained or replaced, I upgrade the coolant to this stuff.. ;) Jamie / Lakeside