PDA

View Full Version : If anyone likes their shop to be clean......

chappy
07-18-2009, 08:06 AM
and I bet most of you do..........you may want to try this.

http://store.irobot.com/category/index.jsp?categoryId=2487341&cp=2804605&ab=CMS_IRBT_Supercat_070109

We got one as a house warming gift, but the house has a central vac.

Thought about selling it, but tried it on the basement and garage floor first.

The thing is AMAZING. Sucks every last spec of dust/dirt off of the floor into the canister.

Battery runs for 1-1 1/2 hours. Gets into the tightest areas. Cleans under vehicles, trailers, boats........

Cleans as you get other stuff done. Every lazy man's dream.:kingme:

zelatore
07-18-2009, 09:53 AM
So it actually works, huh?

I always figured these things (or the robo-lawn mowers just like them) were more gimmick than anything else.

Pretty cool. And not that expensive...I think I spent that kind of money on a small Oreck canister vac to keep on the Carver.

Only problem is, you can't leave anything on the floor. For example, right now I've got the heads, crank, etc laying out in my work bay. Would it freak out the robo-vac if it ran into big things it couldn't move? Say you left some lumber laying flat on the floor...could it figure out how to negotiate around it and keep going?

SilverBack
07-18-2009, 10:33 AM
I have got several of the ones that run on a schedule in my home. They clean better than I can that is for sure. they get up every little thing.

The big stuff is no problem at all. The thing just cleans around whatever it is and if it finds a spot that is really dirty it will give that spot some special attention. The only problem is stuff like curtains or stuff that a vacuum will suck up. Other than that it really does a great job.

chappy
07-18-2009, 11:16 AM
So it actually works, huh?

I always figured these things (or the robo-lawn mowers just like them) were more gimmick than anything else.

Pretty cool. And not that expensive...I think I spent that kind of money on a small Oreck canister vac to keep on the Carver.

Only problem is, you can't leave anything on the floor. For example, right now I've got the heads, crank, etc laying out in my work bay. Would it freak out the robo-vac if it ran into big things it couldn't move? Say you left some lumber laying flat on the floor...could it figure out how to negotiate around it and keep going?

I actually had the same fear Z, and it bounces off large obstacles and keeps going.:)

The only issue I had was that it sucked up some spill absorbent (like cat litter) I had under a tractor that leaked a little oil, which caused it to jam up. I put three two by fours in a triangle around the absorbent, and it hasn't had a problem since.

Like Keith said, it will get stuck on curtains, or shaggy carpets. But on a concrete floor, does a great job.

I think it's definitely worth the bread.:pimp:

f_inscreenname
07-18-2009, 11:23 AM
If it could find that damn cotter pin or that washer I lost it would be worth the money.:yes:

zelatore
07-18-2009, 11:28 AM
Cool. I don't think I'd get one for the garage/shop as I just make too much of a mess out there and honestly, I get some sort of weird enjoyment out of the pre-project cleaning ritual of putting everything up off the floor and sweeping it out to give a fresh start to things.

But on the other hand I simple DON'T vacuum the house. We used to have a housekeeper who came about once a month, but we had to cancel her when Michele got laid off earlier this year. And even though Michele has been around the house a lot lately, she's not exactly Ms. Domestic when it comes to things like that. I'm thinking it might be worth a try to pick one up. Well, actually I guess we'd need two since we have a two-story house.

BTW - Michele just accepted a new job this week. She starts next month making almost as much as she was at the last job. Given that the bay area has almost 12% unemployment, that's a win! :yippie: