PDA

View Full Version : Boat covers ? ? ? ?

Tom Smith
07-17-2009, 11:25 AM
I have to store my boat in a secure boat yard when not in use. Dirt driveways in there are driving me nuts. The boat is a mess every time I go to take it out, even with a poly tarp over it.

Looked at the West Marine catalog and they have a lot of different kinds, but all seem to be for boats with windshields, or bow riders, or bass boats, etc, etc.

I have a 1967 18' 2+3 (no windscreen). Does anyone know if WM has a cover to fit my boat to protect it from sun, rain, and DIRT. If not West Marine, maybe some other vendor. My neighbor has a Sugar Sand jet boat with a cover that has and elastic around the perieiter that came with the boat. His boat always looks clean as a whistle when he uncovers it, while mine is a darm mess.

Thanks in advance. Tom
PS: Already talked to the guys at my local West Marine and when I describe my boat I get this blank stare. How could I have a fast boat like a Donzi with no windshield. DUH!

fasttrucker
07-17-2009, 11:30 AM
Go online or call www.boatcoversdirect.com

Donzi Vol
07-17-2009, 11:36 AM
Tom,

First off, you need to find a new West Marine if they don't know what a damn Donzi is!

Here is one of several companies I found that make covers just for your boat when I did an internet search for "donzi boat cover."
http://www.go2marine.com/product.do?no=15160F

Of course you could go the East TN redneck way and put on a universal cover with tie downs and something in the cockpit/tub to hold the cover up so the rain will roll off. That's the way us good 'ole boys do things down here :lookaroun:

Hope all else is going well. Give our best to Elaine.

-David

knots2u
07-17-2009, 12:09 PM
Search Donzi on ebay!

Tom Smith
07-17-2009, 03:45 PM
I never seem to find those sites when I do a search. Boat covers . com has one that is exactly made to fit a 1965 to 1970 Donzi 18' 2+3s. I'll give them a call.

David, we are doing fine. Had the boat in the river for 2 weeks and took a bunch of runs in it. Very happy with the performance. It comes out of the hole in seconds and planes off beautifully. Howard O put in a bid for me on E Bay and we picked up a new in box Morse MV-2 shifter for her for 1/2 price. Such a deal. That old shifter is going to kill someone, probably me, so out it comes.

Boat is out now and needs some attention. Still no oil pressure guage or water temp or tach, and the carb has a slight leak. While it is out I will get this stuff fixed and Howard is going to help me install the shifter. Last ride Elaine and I went up river about five miles and met up with Howard in his 22'er. We ran together for a while then parted company. It was starting to get dark. He says my boat is so sweet in the water that the next time we go out together he is bringing his video camera to record the look and sound of it. He had 3 guys with him the other night who refused to believe that Bluebird is 42 years old. How cool is that.

We're loving her, just gotta fix a few of these pesky things before the next launch. Thanks again for the links to the boat covers. Tom

smbarcelow
07-17-2009, 09:28 PM
I picked up a generic boat cover from the local big box retail chain for $50. It's a Gulf Stream Model B for 17'-19' V-hull runabouts to cover my 16 Classic. Like DV said, with it cinched down tightly and a good prop in the cockpit, it works very well. It's way big for the boat, which allows me to cover all the colored portions including most of the transom. I would trailer the boat with this cover, but it's plenty secure to withstand a good wind storm without buffeting. I've noticed that it does an excellent job keeping water out.

Planetwarmer
07-17-2009, 09:32 PM
I picked up a generic boat cover from the local big box retail chain for $50. It's a Gulf Stream Model B for 17'-19' V-hull runabouts to cover my 16 Classic. Like DV said, with it cinched down tightly and a good prop in the cockpit, it works very well. It's way big for the boat, which allows me to cover all the colored portions including most of the transom. I would trailer the boat with this cover, but it's plenty secure to withstand a good wind storm without buffeting. I've noticed that it does an excellent job keeping water out.

Did you mean that you wouldn't trailer the boat with that cover?

Air 22
07-17-2009, 09:34 PM
Custom fit for a Donzi...I tow our 22C 1000+miles a year and Coverquest covers work very well IMO...Select your model boat and color...you will luv it...:kingme:
http://www.coverquest.com/covers/boat/bmake.php

smbarcelow
07-17-2009, 09:42 PM
Did you mean that you wouldn't trailer the boat with that cover?

Yes, I would get a custom fit (or, at least, tighter fitting) cover to trailer with. Thanks for the edit, PW. That should have been "wouldn't", not "would". Spell check doesn't catch those errors. :bonk:

Tom Smith
07-18-2009, 10:53 AM
West Marine knows what a Donzi is, but they never saw one without a windscreen. Silly boys! That's the only way to fly. I am amazed at how little wind is in my face at up to 40 mph. Above that my eyes start to water, and Elaine starts screaming. Kinda hurts my ears. Be well, Tom

smbarcelow
07-18-2009, 11:05 AM
I grew up driving a go-fast boat without a windshield. I wouldn't have it any other way. :cool:

mrfixxall
07-18-2009, 11:23 AM
West Marine knows what a Donzi is, but they never saw one without a windscreen. Silly boys! That's the only way to fly. I am amazed at how little wind is in my face at up to 40 mph. Above that my eyes start to water, and Elaine starts screaming. Kinda hurts my ears. Be well, Tom

Chit my boat gives you a face lift:biggrin.:

raa711
07-19-2009, 06:18 AM
Find someone locally who can custom make a cover for you. I've never found a generic cover that fit properly. More often than not, they're too big and end up puddling water on the top. Have them make you one out of Sunbrella material. Go with loops on the sides, not snaps , so you can sinch it down with nylon straps. Just my two cents!

mc donzi
07-19-2009, 08:59 AM
Tom,

Fix that "slight leak" around the carb or you won't need a cover.

I speak from experience. About 25 years ago, I had a "slight leak" around the carb on my 16C. The resuting explosion separated the deck from the hull by about 2-3" along the starboard rub rail.

I found out later that gasoline vapours(Cdn eh) are highly explosive when the concentration is between 1.4%-7.6% by volume. That means that if the gasoline mixed with the air in the bilge is 1.4-7.6% and you have a spark i.e. a bad plug wire, she's gonna blow. The explosion came from the engine compartment, under the floor and exited under the dash burning the hair off of my legs and chest. Thats all. I was sooo lucky. God looks after his little idiots. I think he likes Canadians.

Consequently, now whenever my engine is running- so is my bilge blower- all the time- idle,WOT whenever.

Sorry for the rant, but safety is paramount.

BTW, I use a Donzi shipping cover to cover my 22C- covers the top and sides and fits like glove. No idea on cost- it came with the boat

Tom Smith
07-19-2009, 09:02 AM
The linlk to www.boatcoversdirect.com (http://www.boatcoversdirect.com) in post #2 has one for the 1965 to 1970 Donzi 18' 2+3. Sounds good to me. If I don't like the fit, I can always send it back.

BigGrizzly
07-19-2009, 09:02 AM
Overtons has one that has a picture of a U19 and I use it on my corsican and 16.

Tom Smith
07-19-2009, 09:37 AM
I open the hatch 1/2 hour before starting, and run the blower for at least 15 minutes while the hatch is open. I stick my head in there to be sure there are no fumes before starting it. And I frequently run the blower while under way too, just to be sure. That gas seepage is #1 on my list of to do's. Thanks for the concern though. We just had a 50'er burn up at one of our local marinas. Luckily it didn't spread to adjacent boats. They estimate over $100,000 to repair it. That one was electrical in nature. Tom

Air 22
07-19-2009, 01:00 PM
Find someone locally who can custom make a cover for you. I've never found a generic cover that fit properly. More often than not, they're too big and end up puddling water on the top. Have them make you one out of Sunbrella material. Go with loops on the sides, not snaps , so you can sinch it down with nylon straps. Just my two cents!

custom fit covers are available on-line and fit perfect:wink: ...no sagging or puddlling.

coverquest.com

older boats may require a local shop if not offered on-line.

fasttrucker
07-19-2009, 03:56 PM
Ive bought three covers from boat covers direct.The one for my 22zx fits nice and tight front to back.It also covers a lot of the sides as its a little too big/wide, but thats cool with me.I also bounght one for my 28zx that rumshaker now has.I also bought a storage cover that works great for a winter cover its in my basement waiting for me to buy a bigger boat.