PDA

View Full Version : 1967 Donzi 16

stevej
07-17-2009, 10:05 AM
I need some help or information if possible. My father had a donzi that we used when I was a kid. He past away last march and the boat is now mine. . It has a 289 ford with a four barrel carb. I don't know it the outdrive unit is a eaton or a volvo unit. If memory serves me the bearing kept coming out. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also, where the hull number would be located.

Lenny
07-17-2009, 10:27 AM
Hull number, the easier to find one, should be in black marker behind the dash or under the foredeck. It will say "C16- ??? "

Take a few pics of motor and drive and boat and post 'em up :D Let the rest of the folks here disect it. :)

Welcome aboard :)

stevej
07-17-2009, 10:30 AM
I will get some pictures this weekend. Thanks for the help.

smbarcelow
07-17-2009, 10:36 AM
I've found this site and the knowledge of its members to be invaluable. I'm guessing you will, too. Looking forward to the pics!

Donzi Vol
07-17-2009, 11:05 AM
I need some help or information if possible. My father had a donzi that we used when I was a kid. He past away last march and the boat is now mine. . It has a 289 ford with a four barrel carb. I don't know it the outdrive unit is a eaton or a volvo unit. If memory serves me the bearing kept coming out. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also, where the hull number would be located.

Cool boat! Can I have it? :)

f_inscreenname
07-17-2009, 12:33 PM
I've found this site and the knowledge of its members to be invaluable. I'm guessing you will, too. Looking forward to the pics!

And then DV checks in.:kingme:

Cool boat! Can I have it? :)

Cant wait to see the boat and sorry for you loss. That would be a project I would have to do.

Donzi Vol
07-17-2009, 12:36 PM
And then DV checks in.:kingme:

Cant wait to see the boat and sorry for you loss. That would project I would have to do.

Haha. Well you know, it never hurts to ask. I have this theory that somewhere down the road I am going to ask that ridiculous question and someone will say, "well...ok, sure." It's a numbers game.

stevej
07-17-2009, 01:08 PM
It is all a numbers game but this boat is in really rough shape. I hope I can afford to restore it. Thanks for a group of people that makes a new person feel welcome.

Donzi Vol
07-17-2009, 01:31 PM
It is all a numbers game but this boat is in really rough shape. I hope I can afford to restore it. Thanks for a group of people that makes a new person feel welcome.

Well see here's your only problem. It's kind of bittersweet actually. Once you get going on your project, no matter what you wind up running into, you'll want to keep going on it. Then as you start to see the light at the end of the tunnel, you'll get giddy and move as fast as you can afford to. It's kind of an addiction, but the way I see it there are a lot worse things out there to spend your money on!

Now as for your question about the drive. Correct me if I'm wrong guys, but all the old Volvo's had the plates/caps that said 270, as was the drive at that time. I'm not sure what the eaton would say, but it would be something different, and probably in a different location.

The only 16 I know from that era is cutwater's '65 with all the original goodies. Send him a PM if you get a chance. Mattyboy is also very knowledgable with the old ones.

Good luck and we love pictures and stories!

mattyboy
07-17-2009, 01:36 PM
get some pics of the drive,motor, the underside of the deck,the rear seat,the rear deck with any vents, and I can tell you what you have I can also tell you what to expect for a resto. the hull number is most likely written by the backing plate for the bow eye grab a flash lite and see if you can spot it

let me know if I can help in anyway

Donzi Vol you're wrong ;) pre 68 eaton or volvo 200, 68 to 71-72 ish volvo 250 , after 72 volvo 270, mid to late 70's volvo 280 then 290 but you're not all wrong if it is a volvo 200 it should have a tag with some serial numbers up top on the drive

good luck with the boat

post pics that will help

Donzi Vol
07-17-2009, 01:39 PM
Mattyboy is also very knowledgable with the old ones.

get some pics of the drive,motor, the underside of the deck,the rear seat,the rear deck with any vents, and I can tell you what you have I can also tell you what to expect for a resto. the hull number is most likely written by the backing plate for the bow eye grab a flash lite and see if you can spot it

let me know if I can help in anyway

good luck

See what I mean?

Donzi Vol
07-17-2009, 01:57 PM
Donzi Vol you're wrong ;) pre 68 eaton or volvo 200, 68 to 71-72 ish volvo 250 , after 72 volvo 270, mid to late 70's volvo 280 then 290 but you're not all wrong if it is a volvo 200 it should have a tag with some serial numbers up top on the drive

Here I go and sing your praises and then you gotta go and call me out! Just kidding.

mattyboy
07-17-2009, 02:01 PM
Here I go and sing your praises and then you gotta go and call me out! Just kidding.

I said you weren't all wrong ;) so that's means you were right but not all right ;)

Tank
07-17-2009, 02:27 PM
Welcome Stevej
This is the place for info they bust on you but they mean well.
Have fun with the boat they can be a lot of work and a lot of fun.
Don't let one get in the way of the other.:bonk:
ps
Sorry to here about your Dads passing.
God bless you and yours.
Tank

Just Say N20
07-17-2009, 02:54 PM
SteveJ,

Welcome to the board, and the 1967 Donzi 16 restoration club!

If you are bored, you can look through the linked thread, and see some pictures of where to look for the serial number. Neither place was good on my hull because it was so cut up on the back side of the dash, and the wood was so rotted at the bow eye, you couldn't really make out the numbers easily.

Like others have said, bring on the pictures!

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=58186

stevej
07-19-2009, 05:08 PM
I looked for the hull numbers no luck yet. I have to go back later in the week to look again.

Rob M
07-19-2009, 08:02 PM
Judging by the stern vent I believe this is older than a 67.

Just Say N20
07-19-2009, 08:06 PM
My 1967 had the same transom vent, and 2 air vents, one facing forward, one facing aft.

mattyboy
07-19-2009, 09:58 PM
looks like an all original 67 with a 289 interceptor motor and a volvo aq200 exactly the way my '67 16 left the factory until it was repowered by HM in 69

mattyboy
07-20-2009, 07:54 AM
next time you are by the boat take a pic of the steering wheel and also check the deck for coring, the hull number should be written on the back side of the dash on the starboard side and also up by the backing plate for the bow eye, while you are crawling up there check the tank the mfg'r tag might be visible it will give you a general time frame most likely the tank was made in '66

stevej
07-20-2009, 08:42 AM
I went ahead and took pictures of the steering wheel yesterday. I looked under the dash but no numbers. I will go and check again though. I also included a picture that shows how the paint is cracked any ideas what I will have to do to fix it. Will I have to strip the paint?

mattyboy
07-20-2009, 08:51 AM
boat looks very original, that is the original shifter housing, it doesn't have the '67 style wheel but that doesn't mean much it could be a late model '66

it is important to inspect the coring if there is any if it is setup like a 67 with all glass deck and pvc pipes for support then you have very little to worry about in the way of rot or recoring the deck. if it has no coring that is really the only good news here. you have to go the hole 9 yards here deck off ,tank out, sand, fill, fair ,repair, restring, re gel, repaint, repower

not sure what you are up to and what you want from the boat??

stevej
07-20-2009, 09:09 AM
Sorry, I'm really a new to all this but how do I check the coring? I would like to fix it for my family. We painted the boat in 1982 had it on the lake. My dad kept having trouble with the drive. I was about 13 at the time so don't really know what he was having trouble with. I kept hearing him say something about the bearing.

BERTRAM BOY
07-20-2009, 09:30 AM
Cool Basset Hound!!!!!

mattyboy
07-20-2009, 09:40 AM
Sorry, I'm really a new to all this but how do I check the coring? I would like to fix it for my family. We painted the boat in 1982 had it on the lake. My dad kept having trouble with the drive. I was about 13 at the time so don't really know what he was having trouble with. I kept hearing him say something about the bearing.

when you crawl up under the deck look up at the underside of the deck, if it cored you should see thicker panels where wood is sandwiched in between the inner and outer fiberglass. If it is not cored you'll see pvc pipes strapped in like ribs from side to side.

the drive shouldn't be that hard to get fixed it can be upgraded to atleast a 250 if not a 270 pretty easily and parts are available.

the rest is going to be a job but if it is a family aireloom it will be well worth it to do, cause your grand kids will enjoy the boat in years to come.

might want to reach out to members in your area they will be a good resource for references on mechanics and glass guys.

good luck with the family project ;)

stevej
07-20-2009, 10:30 AM
The basset hound is the baby of the family. It would sound like a helicopter with the ears flapping in the wind riding in the donzi. Mattyboy, Thanks for all the information. I will get back with you later.

robertbj
07-21-2009, 01:03 PM
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also, where the hull number would be located.

Here are some pic’s of my “66”. The hull # should be on the back of the dash way to the starboard side. Also, I would use those interceptor exhaust manifolds with caution. I had many years of trouble with a set I had on my 351w. I have switched to a set of Glenwood’s and hope to have better luck.

BERTRAM BOY
07-21-2009, 01:22 PM
The basset hound is the baby of the family. It would sound like a helicopter with the ears flapping in the wind riding in the donzi.

Yup, just like our Beagle.