PDA

View Full Version : Merc drive oil ?

Trueser
07-16-2009, 07:24 PM
I went to change the drive oil on the Scorpion and when I opened the bottle it seemed like glue was stuck to the inside seal. After looking at it I decided to pour some in a Tupperware cup.

The oil has been inside that cup for almost 1 hour. The bubbles do not want to leave.

I don't like the looks of the oil. What do you guys think?

Scorp
07-16-2009, 07:39 PM
I wouldn't pour that into my drives.......
:shocking:

That product is suppose to be clear deep blue [without any bubbles].
Looks like what you have there is whipped-up, been contaminated with water somehow.
Those bottles need to go back where they came from and replaced with a non-defective batch.

S

zelatore
07-16-2009, 08:28 PM
That sir, just ain't right.

I don't think I'd be using it either!

BUIZILLA
07-16-2009, 08:30 PM
they forgot the anti-foam additive

donzi2287
07-16-2009, 09:00 PM
I just changed my drive oil tonight with the same bottles and it is not like that. I have never seen the oil like that... I would exchange it out, especially for the great deal they give for a quart!!!

MOP
07-16-2009, 09:10 PM
WHOOOOPES! New Oil Disregard!!! Mike I would run a couple of 20-30 minute changes on the hose with light WT detergent oil, something is in there. Buz may very well be right, seems strange for oil hold air for an extended period.

MOP
07-16-2009, 09:12 PM
2nd thought! Curious who filled it last or where you got the oil, maybe it is bogus.

blackhawk
07-16-2009, 09:15 PM
Unless I read it wrong this is brand new oil still in the bottle?

Definitely looks contaminated.

Trueser
07-16-2009, 09:28 PM
I started putting one bottle in and pulled it back out. The first one was not as bad.

This was brand new Merc oil.

Going back to the dealer in the morn.

Do I need to run some oil thru the drive?

This started when I opened the second bottle.

BUIZILLA
07-16-2009, 09:35 PM
air is not a lubricant.. :nilly:

gero1
07-16-2009, 09:50 PM
hay buz do ya ever sleep??

gero1
07-16-2009, 09:52 PM
i would drain the drive and re fill with new stuff...cell took a pooper....cotten is standing tall....hfecd

Madcow
07-16-2009, 10:11 PM
I went to change the drive oil on the Scorpion and when I opened the bottle it seemed like glue was stuck to the inside seal. After looking at it I decided to pour some in a Tupperware cup.

The oil has been inside that cup for almost 1 hour. The bubbles do not want to leave.

I don't like the looks of the oil. What do you guys think?
I'm thinking put the stuff over someones head, and wait for them to say "I don't know". (if you have kids you know what I'm talking about).

CHACHI
07-17-2009, 05:52 AM
Drop some oil in a hot pan and see if it "bounces", or pops, if it does it is water. If it just thins out, you have air entrapment. the viscosity of the oil is too thick to let the small bubbles of air "escape".

Air entrapment is not foam, foam sits on top of the the oil level while air entrapment includes the oil.

Ken

zelatore
07-17-2009, 09:43 AM
I'm thinking put the stuff over someones head, and wait for them to say "I don't know". (if you have kids you know what I'm talking about).
:rlol::rlol:

Planetwarmer
07-17-2009, 09:46 AM
:rlol::rlol:

:popcorn:"You can't do that on television"! I forgot about that show.:popcorn:

Trueser
07-17-2009, 12:46 PM
Drive oil was defective. They opened a bunch of cases and some were worse than others. They gave me some xtra to run thru the drive if needed.

Beware of lot # 2331 or 2332

At first the tech thought I was trying to recycle my drive oil. He also opened a trouble case with Merc... and they will let me know what they find.

BigGrizzly
07-17-2009, 12:57 PM
I wonder how many drives will come apart because of this. :shocking:

Trueser
07-17-2009, 01:04 PM
I wonder how many drives will come apart because of this. :shocking:

What oil are you running in the Crit?

BigGrizzly
07-17-2009, 01:23 PM
In the TRS I used Merc HP oil. In the Konrad I am using Royal Purple because the sent it with it and the recommend it. I talked to the race boys and said it was one of the best. The drift guys love it. However I have seen no REAL test data that I trust, just advertising stuff. So I have to believe the users of the stuff. In my opinion will use of either shorten the drive life- I doubt it. I will use the Purple because the drive came with it and Konrad has done extensive testing on it. Now 2 more hours then propping and speed runs. At this point it looks like a solid 3 mph with the Konrad.

FISHIN SUCKS
07-20-2009, 10:48 AM
You went cheap, didn't ya, Mikey:bonk:? You went directly to the clearance table at the marina and bought the CLEARANCE oil:yes:. Water turns that Merc oil into a seafoam green color, I have had experience with it in with the old King Cobra. I bought my Merc HP oil this spring in bulk instead of the individual bottles, saved some $ doing it, but I DIDN'T GO TO THE CLEARANCE TABLE!

Trueser
07-20-2009, 11:26 AM
You went cheap, didn't ya, Mikey:bonk:? You went directly to the clearance table at the marina and bought the CLEARANCE oil:yes:. Water turns that Merc oil into a seafoam green color, I have had experience with it in with the old King Cobra. I bought my Merc HP oil this spring in bulk instead of the individual bottles, saved some $ doing it, but I DIDN'T GO TO THE CLEARANCE TABLE!

WOW,
The king of bling throwing it around. This oil was the real deal and not from the clearance table. Nice try Tommy boy,

Turn on the blue light specials.

FISHIN SUCKS
07-20-2009, 12:53 PM
WOW,
The king of bling throwing it around. This oil was the real deal and not from the clearance table. Nice try Tommy boy,

Turn on the blue light specials.
'WOW' is right........you're a pretty big deal:yes:!!! LOL, who loves ya:kingme:

roadtrip se
07-20-2009, 03:04 PM
with a bilge blower that produces a sound that could make dogs cry in agony. I hope you are shopping the bargain tables for a new one, there Fish Killer, because anything that falses a drive alarm warning can't be good. That wavelength of my hearing is now officially gone...

Geesh... what in the H was that?