PDA

View Full Version : Me, The Moon, 40 years, and other things...

gcarter
07-16-2009, 01:18 PM
It's really hard to imagine it's been 40 years!
Wow! :shocking:
Just a few years before that, I was a young mechanical designer wanting to make my own imprint on the Apollo Program. I grew up in Houston and of course the decision to build the Manned Spacecraft Center there was "A Big Deal" to Texas, Texans, and Houstonians in particular.
I was able to attend the speech JFK gave at Rice Stadium where he declared we would go to the Moon and return during the next decade. What a monumental statement that was. I remember him stating how an ICBM could be launched several thousand miles away and land between the 40 yard lines there in that stadium. I was mesmurized. I guess my mouth was probably hanging open.
After the Center was built I was able to land a job w/Link Systems concerning the Apollo and Lunar Module flight simulaters.
Later I worked for LTV Aerospace w/a group that was involved in designing the hand tools used on the Lunar surface. Also we designed a lot of the astronaut hardware where bits and pieces had to be attached to space suits.
I thought I'd died and gone to Heaven.
I was excited to go to work everyday.
Then in '68, I was hired to move here to Florida and work for Bendix Launch Support Div. Bendix's primary responsibility was providing, maintaining, and operating most all the cryogenic resources including fueling the Saturn 5 boosters and the spacecraft.
I think I still have my "Hazardous Fuels" class certificate somewhere. I learned that some hypergolic fuels, such as Nitrogen Tetroxide, was so deadly that if there was 1 ppm (I think) in the air, you'd literally drown in a very short period of time. A sure fire way to tell if N.T. was present was it smelled like swamp........of course all these fuels were stored in the middle of the wildlife preserve that makes up the Space Center.
Go figure.
Just about a week before the Apollo 11 launch (40 years ago), I had to go verify the configuration and location of some of Bendix's equipment on the launch structure at 39 A, the pad used for the Apollo 11 launch. I even remember the process of getting out to the pad.....first I had to go to the Launch Control Center and sign out w/a 39 A badge I had to wear w/my own badge, get into the govt. "Gray Ghost", park in the pad parking lot, and check into the pad security center where I had to exchange badges again.
Wow!
Anyway, the high point of this exercise was, after wasting a lot of time looking at everything I could, I was actually able to reach out and touch the lower part of the Saturn 5 booster.
I felt pretty important and special! :):yes:
On the day of the launch, my ex, who also worked for Bendix, and I were able to watch the launch. My heart was beating so hard. I think I cried a little. We had all been working so hard for that moment.
Later that day, Bendix had a launch party at the local country club in Titusville.
The following week, I started looking diligently for another job because we all could see the writing on the wall.
Cutbacks were coming.
Due to some good timing, I was able to snag my old job at LTV in Houston.
We boxed up everything we owned, rented a U-Haul, and moved back to Houston. I don't think I even missed a single days work. It wasn't so good for about 5,000 other folks and their families. Titusville just about turned into a ghost town a short time later.
Of course we watched and listened to everything we could about the mission. Everything that happened was personal. It was important. All of us at work talked about the lunar landing incessantly.
Someone brought in a TV on the day of the splashdown in the Pacific. Everything about the mission went perfectly. There was no way it could have been better.
Later on the day of the splashdown, LTV threw a Splashdown Party at one of the local hotels. Everyone attended. Everyone was so excited about their own contribution to the program. I was probably one of just a handfull of people that was able to view the launch in person, attend a Florida based, contractor sponsored launch party, and then attend a Houston based, contractor sponsored splashdown party.
We all felt that, given a mandate and the money, we could have accomplished anything.
NASA in those days was "MAGIC"........it's hard to describe and comprehend today, 40 years later.
Maybe we were simple and a little naive in our devotion and dedication.
But I'll never forget those days.......I still believe.
....40 years later.

Lenny
07-16-2009, 02:28 PM
It's really hard to imagine it's been 40 years!
Wow! :shocking:
I was excited to go to work everyday.

Cool story, I remember "those" days as well . :rolleyes: Not anymore after 30 years in the same job. I too touched the Saturn 5 booster but that was at the Space center (museum) in Houston and about 8 years ago :D

On a similar note about technology, the other night I went onto the ISS ( International Space Station website) and typed in my Postal code, (ZIP) to see when it would be around. Well, the skies have been basically clear here now for about a month and a half so it was perfect for viewing. Deneen and I took some wine up to the back of our property, up onto the mountain, and waited. Well, sure a $hit, at exactly when they said it would show, it showed, on the horizon, 10:25pm PST at 10 degrees WSW, travelling at 23,800 miles an hour, passed overhead at 70 degrees and exited ENE at 10 degrees. A total of a 6 minute show above us. VERY bright and obviously long, ( like a weiner )

THAT was pretty cool too. :yes: and it repeated that every hour and 15 minutes or so.

Technology at its finest. In a couple days we will see BOTH the shuttle and the space station together.

http://www.heavens-above.com/AllPass1Sat.asp?satid=25544&lat=0&lng=0&loc=Unspecified&alt=0&tz=CET

http://74.220.219.75/~thenigh5/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/iss-visibilitytable-explanation.jpg

mrfixxall
07-16-2009, 02:35 PM
I remember it, i think i was in kindergarden..anyways i remember watching it on the old black and white tv during rest period lol..man time is going quick:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPXKdABiS9g&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NgY6IcNhVw splash down

VetteLT193
07-16-2009, 02:55 PM
I grew up in Satellite Beach. so everything space was a part of every day life. It still excites me to this day.

BTW: My Brother In-law's dad drew this patch, he has one of the originals framed on his wall.

http://www.astronautscholarship.org/2007semi_auction/2007semiauction_lot020.jpg

Lenny
07-16-2009, 02:57 PM
Here is a GREAT time to see it in the East ( Michigan area ) Might have the shuttle in tow still.
http://www.heavens-above.com/gtrack.asp?date=40016.1068828493&lat=%2042.3022&lng=-73.31028&alt=0&loc=Lenox%2C+MA&TZ=EST&satid=25544

Tuesday, July 21st. About 10:22 pm Eastern time. GMT-4.00
http://www.heavens-above.com/PassSummary.asp?lat=+42.3022&lng=-73.31028&alt=0&loc=Lenox%2C+MA&TZ=EST

Cuda
07-16-2009, 03:18 PM
I took a picture of the tv when man first stepped on the moon. My cousin, who lived next door to me in Oregon, was just telling me how the Apollo launches were way louder than the space shuttle. He says the building were doing the "Apollo Shake". He says nothing he's ever experienced was like that.:wink:

gcarter
07-16-2009, 03:30 PM
I took a picture of the tv when man first stepped on the moon. My cousin, who lived next door to me in Oregon, was just telling me how the Apollo launches were way louder than the space shuttle. He says the building were doing the "Apollo Shake". He says nothing he's ever experienced was like that.:wink:
Joe, he's right.
I usually watched from the front lawn of the headquarters Bldg, where my office was, about 10 or 12 miles from the pad.
The "energy" was so great it would ruffle your pants cuffs and move the sleeves of your shirt. No wind to speak of, but shock waves moving through the air. And it was a very low frequency, maybe 30 Hz or so.
Very tangible.

CHACHI
07-16-2009, 07:24 PM
George, you are always a good read, thanks.

Ken

zelatore
07-16-2009, 08:26 PM
Very nice George.

Born in '71, I'm too young to have any memories of Apollo. I do remember the first Shuttle launch and my whole school coming to a stop as all the classes had TVs set up for the students to watch.

Cool, but not the same level of national involvement as the Apollo days.

One wonders if we could ever get the whole country to come together like that again....even if we had the money. I suspect any sort of program like that would simply turn into partisan bickering instead of a symbol of national pride.

farmer tx
07-16-2009, 09:46 PM
My oldest daughter was bornon the tenth anniversary of the moon walk. Shes taking turning 30 better than I am!

gold-n-rod
07-16-2009, 09:58 PM
I have memories of sitting in our family room watching the lunar landing on a B&W television. I was 13, soon to be 14.

About that same time, I remember watching the news coverage of the release of the USS Pueblo. I am fuzzy on the details, I'll have to look it up. I do have a recollection that the Captain took the fall for that incident.

Here we go: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uss_pueblo I am surprised there was no 40th Anniversary of the crew's release.

Ghost
07-16-2009, 11:38 PM
Cool stuff.

And now I'm inspired to plan a boat trip to watch the ISS. (Went to the site and the Magnitude column seemed to have vanished from the viewing window table. Doh!)

Cuda
07-17-2009, 07:03 AM
I have memories of sitting in our family room watching the lunar landing on a B&W television. I was 13, soon to be 14.
About that same time, I remember watching the news coverage of the release of the USS Pueblo. I am fuzzy on the details, I'll have to look it up. I do have a recollection that the Captain took the fall for that incident.
Here we go: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uss_pueblo I am surprised there was no 40th Anniversary of the crew's release.
I think we were the same age. :(

Surfer
07-17-2009, 09:29 AM
Wow, thats a great legacy to be proud of. I have been making the trek to the cape since John Glenn's flight. Went up last weekend to see the scrub, saw the trail from my front yard on Wed. One of the most interesting was Apollo 17 at night. The Saturn lit the sky with the most eary orange. What I remember most was the amount of air traffic in the area, planes helicopters everywhere. I don't know about the low frequency responce of the Saturn, but the Shuttle measures about 6 Hz. Saw the first, Shuttle on site, felt like bowling balls bouncing off your chest. Caught John Glenn's Shuttle launch, and I'm gonna see the last. I hope NASA can step it up in the future, like everybody else, thought we would be allot furthor down the road then we are forty years later.

BUIZILLA
07-17-2009, 09:35 AM
lunar landing.... on TV.... wasn't it a Saturday night.... like 8-9ish??

hmmmmm, I think I was at a family resort in Clayton GA that night and everybody crowded in one main room to watch one TV set....

Carl C
07-17-2009, 10:33 AM
I was 15. I stayed up 3 days straight to watch the mission. That is the longest I ever stayed up. I only took a few breaks from the TV. Astronomy is one of my other hobbies. I read that Nasa erased all of the original video tape so it is all being remastered with help from the TV networks. Maybe they will put it out on DVD.

justleft
07-17-2009, 04:31 PM
Wow, I used to fake sick so I could stay home from school and watch it on TV !!!

Ghost
07-17-2009, 06:08 PM
As an aside, for anyone who just wants to wallow in the whole moon landing experience and has watched The Right Stuff until he's blue in the face, there's a very charming film called "The Dish" which I highly recommend. Lightly funny, very pleasant, and completely immersed in the setting of the moonshot.

Cuda
07-17-2009, 06:52 PM
Just last week, that same cousin asked me if I really believed man walked on the moon. Hell yeah they did! :cool:

gcarter
07-17-2009, 07:20 PM
Speaking of "The Right Stuff", at least as far as the movie goes, it was largely fictional.
A lot of little things that didn't need fictionalizing, for instance the party that NASA threw after the astronauts got out of quarantine....
The movie had Gypsy Rose Lee doing a strip.
The real party, which I attended, was held in the Astrodome and featured Flip Wilson.
And one of Flip's best lines was "Get off the table Mabel, the $2.00 is for the waitress!"

Cuda
07-17-2009, 07:55 PM
Whenever I work in Cocoa, we usually stay in the motel that says "The Home of the Original Astronauts". I stay there because there is a bar upstairs. :)

BUIZILLA
07-17-2009, 08:10 PM
Just last week, that same cousin asked me if I really believed man walked on the moon. Hell yeah they did! :cool:
what if we go back and the flag isn't there?

Cuda
07-17-2009, 08:25 PM
what if we go back and the flag isn't there?
It just means the flag is on the dark side of the moon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d78K4rCEfAo

Conquistador_del_mar
07-18-2009, 10:48 AM
And one of Flip's best lines was "Get off the table Mabel, the $2.00 is for the waitress!"

Now that is funny!
I find it highly cool that you were so involved in the first lunar landing - that had to be outrageously exciting! I have always been a fan of the space program. I was married to the sister of the first man who went untethered in space with the jet pack system that he helped develop. Bruce McCandless was also heavily involved with the first space shots - you probably remember him. He is a very bright guy who once showed me a color computer that he built before there were color computers. He wanted some help on it, but my cursory electronics background at the time was not much help - lol. Rosemary and I were so happy for Bruce when he finally was able to go up and prove the jet pack system - he is the one in the famous picture you see with nothing but space behind him. Bill