PDA

View Full Version : Insurance . . unavailable

mphatc
07-14-2009, 04:11 PM
Guys,
I've just been turned down for insurance coverage by several firms for my
two boats . . . a bit frustrating . .. who is everyone using for old boats?
I have the 1969 Corsican now capable of speeds close to 70 and a 1968 Magnum 27 . . .
Hagerty is on my to call list . .looking for other thoughts!
Mario L.

JeffH
07-14-2009, 04:20 PM
Progressive!

RedDog
07-14-2009, 04:25 PM
Progressive!

+1

can buy the policy using there online service

22DONZI
07-14-2009, 04:28 PM
Boat US (CNA) took my 496 HO. I use USAA for everything-they insured a 135 HP snowmobile that did 120-my friend totaled it and they paid for it-but they didn't want my Donzi-go figure.

Planetwarmer
07-14-2009, 04:40 PM
USAA will send you over to Progressive. That is where they sent me, so that is who I use.

mrfixxall
07-14-2009, 04:45 PM
Ive been dealing with a progressive clames adjuster for 3 weeks on a claim on one of my customers boats..Back and forth in person with no results yet!!!!!!!!
Ya they will nsure you but when its time to pay out they try to get out of the clame. newer boat with 120hrs on it,he hit a sand bar and packed the drive with sand and blew the coupler,,was with him this morning and so far i got 3 hrs in this deal and it looks like their not going to honor it..

fegettes
07-14-2009, 04:50 PM
IMO, Progressive does not have a good reputation for paying on claims.

handfulz28
07-14-2009, 04:57 PM
I think it's hit or miss with companies paying claims. A guy down here has had nothing but trouble with a leak (from the factory) and then crappy work after that was fixed. His ins co is paying $10's of thousands to repair a partial submerge in salt water.

While you can shop online, I'd say go through a broker. A large, successful, long-time broker for whichever company you choose. The broker will have a vested interest in helping you with your claim so he continues to get paid.

JeffH
07-14-2009, 05:34 PM
I guess I'll find out how bad they are if I ever have a claim...or maybe I should look elsewhere?

Ghost
07-14-2009, 05:44 PM
If you can get them, I have had great service from State Farm. But I bought a boat after a documented professional resto from the keel up, with a survey, which helped a lot.

(Would have cost a fortune to insure as a 1971 or so, but they looked at it and with all modern systems from 2004, treated like a nearly new boat. I want to say, maybe a 67% savings in premiums. The other possibility, the 3x rate, was way too much.)

But SF was very reasonable. When they had evidence that all the wiring was new, all new fuel tank, new motors, new everything, they didn't balk at all.

And they paid a huge claim from day one, when it was damaged enroute down here. Nothing but praise for them with my personal experiences over the last 20 years.

FWIW,
Mike

Trueser
07-14-2009, 05:54 PM
I have everything with Allstate,

They have been great for me.

Sweet Cheekz
07-14-2009, 06:41 PM
Call Bob Luellen from World Wide Marine He is great and will be a big asset if you ever have a claim He can get anything insured 8003391235
Parnell

olredalert
07-14-2009, 08:16 PM
------Mario,,,If you have a real live "collectable" DONZI (which you do) it might pay you to give Hagerty a call. I insured the Fino thru them for $740 for a full 12 months at an assigned value. They havent wanted to even talk about DONZIs before but now seem amenable!!! Call me if you want to determine the correct approach........Bill S

Tony
07-14-2009, 08:36 PM
Call Bob Luellen from World Wide Marine He is great and will be a big asset if you ever have a claim He can get anything insured 8003391235
Parnell

Great suggestion, Parnell...Bob is a quality guy.
Mention my name (Tony) and see what he says!

:beer:

mphatc
07-14-2009, 09:16 PM
Thanks for the tips . . I'm already working with Hagerty, with Kelly McCann. She believes she can make it happen . . .The Corsican has a survey and I'm willing to get a new one so they have one that is "fresh" . . I won't hide the speed potential or the modern power and drive . . I want no reason for them to ever deny coverage!
FWIW, they don't like boats that go faster than 45 mph . .
The Magnum 27 is another issue, it's been all part but not restored . . just redone . .it has had very little use in it's life from my digging, but it is an old boat . . a survey will help.
I am concerned about price . . maybe I should have RC Boats!
My clean driving record helps, and I may move a couple of my cars to their coverage. It was eluded to that this would help . .

Mario L.

1969 Corsican
1968 Magnum 27

MOP
07-14-2009, 09:21 PM
Hagerty is a real good company very decent to work with, I did a claim investigation for them15 or so years back. Owner was clearly at fault much to my surprise they were more then fair with him.

superhatz
07-14-2009, 10:26 PM
Parnell

These are the only guys who could find anyone to insure my Magnum....it was a total pain in the a$$.

SilverBack
07-15-2009, 04:15 AM
I have everything with State Farm. I have never had a problem with the boat or auto insurance. The only problem that I ever had with them was during Katrina on my home and we got that worked out but it took a couple of years.

WifeHatesMyDonzi
07-15-2009, 05:35 AM
My local Farm Bureau Co. wrote the policy's on my Classic and ZX and didn't even blink. 26zx $28k value -- full coverage $385 a year.

SilverBack
07-15-2009, 08:12 AM
How many of you are up front about your boat's performance with your insurance co's?

I have been up front with them. I called my agent and after the new engine was installed ad told him that it had 850 HP and the new value was 65K. He said fine the premium went up a few dollars and there was nothing else said. He never asked me how fast it was. I know that the 65K is 20k more than I could get for it and it is 20K less than I have in it but that is a trade off that I felt I could replace it and not be too worried about losing the extra that I put into it.

When I had the Ragazza and I went on vacation in Arkansas and the drive blew as soon as I put it in the water and I had a cabin for 10 days. I called him and he got a marina shop to haul it in and put a new Alpha drive on it and then got them to fax the invoice to him when they were though. He called me back and asked if I was happy with the work. I told him yes and he had the Check Fed Ex'ed to the marina shop and I got the boat back in I think it was 4 days with a brand new from Mercury Alpha drive.

They have always been great to me!!

VetteLT193
07-15-2009, 08:23 AM
Boat US (CNA) took my 496 HO. I use USAA for everything-they insured a 135 HP snowmobile that did 120-my friend totaled it and they paid for it-but they didn't want my Donzi-go figure.

USAA will send you over to Progressive. That is where they sent me, so that is who I use.

Yep, they started doing this about 3 years ago for the toys. My Harley was insured through USAA, grandfathered in, but the rate seemed high. I got the progressive quote and saved a bunch of dough. The boats are both insured through the USAA/Progressive team. No problems, but no claims either.

zelatore
07-15-2009, 09:57 AM
How many of you are up front about your boat's performance with your insurance co's?

I decided earlier this year to try to get the boat, bikes, truck, and car all on one company. Gieco has been advertising heavily about covering 'everything' so I called them. They couldn't write the truck/car fast enough. But they had to transfer me to another 'department' to write the bikes. Then they had to give me another number all together for the boat. When they asked how much horsepower it was, I told them 'not sure exactly - about 600'. <pause> 'uh, please hold' <pause....pause...pause> 'we can't help you, thank you for calling'

Tom Smith
07-15-2009, 01:35 PM
I insure my 39 Plymouth street Rod with Haggerty, and this spring they took my 1967 Donzi 2+3 with no questions asked. No claims ever, so I can't comment on that part of the equation. Tom

mphatc
07-16-2009, 07:37 PM
So Hagerty wins . . I sent the info and literally 20 minutes later I had a reply and an insurance offer for both boats . . agreed upon values that I stated , fairly IMO.

Premium is a touch over $700.00 for both boats, and the Donzi is more than the Magnum , but stated value is 2 1/2 times as much.

When I initially called they clearly indicated that insuring the boats would be easier if I had cars with them. Two years ago they turned me away instantly as the boats can exceed their 45 mph desired limit.

Poodle, I told them that the Donzi was capable of 65 mph plus once it's sorted, that the engine was like the original Ford 302, but close to 400 hp and the Magnum was likely only good for 55-60 as it still has the old Volvo 250 drives. I have also been told by several insurance agents that any false information can give them reason to deny coverage . . so for that huge outboard on the back of your Sweet 16 . . you'd better give them the real HP numbers . .

Aaron, time to get a new bid . .your Magnum is amongst the nicest original ones around, with good pics you should have any difficulties!

Mario