PDA

View Full Version : Boarding a Classic from the water.....

JustMercMe
07-14-2009, 08:46 AM
Anybody solved this problem yet? I personally have no problem climbing the outdrive but the wife preachin' the ladder story! Anybody got anything that works well? I'm considering a Garelick with the stainless mount on the transom but geesh I hate the thought of drilling holes on this boat being what it is!!!!

Help!:crossfing:

VetteLT193
07-14-2009, 09:00 AM
The problem with that stainless one is you also have to store the thing. That's got to be a challenge in itself on a classic.

I used a rope ladder. Personally, I like the drive method better because it is steady. But, for the wife, there is something about the mental factor of not having all the hardware to kill yourself on while getting in.

You can pick one up from Wal mart, I think 30 bucks. Probably worth trying at least. You can have mine for shipping if you want it. I don't think I'll ever use it again. It's practically brand new.

f_inscreenname
07-14-2009, 09:20 AM
I have a Nova but my kids and wife climb the drive. It's the only real way to get in the boat without scratching, digging or drilling into the boat. And like said the rope latter just sucks.

yeller
07-14-2009, 01:32 PM
Contact CarlC. He uses a standard hook ladder with some minor mods and I believe it works well for him.

JustMercMe
07-14-2009, 01:39 PM
The problem with that stainless one is you also have to store the thing. That's got to be a challenge in itself on a classic.

I used a rope ladder. Personally, I like the drive method better because it is steady. But, for the wife, there is something about the mental factor of not having all the hardware to kill yourself on while getting in.

You can pick one up from Wal mart, I think 30 bucks. Probably worth trying at least. You can have mine for shipping if you want it. I don't think I'll ever use it again. It's practically brand new.

True true....My wife is all about the manning up and climbing the drive but.....It worries me b/c she's a bit accident prone(Yes we have an accident insurance policy on her) :bonk: Tried the one they have at Wally world and the darn thing floats! We took it back thinking we could find a different one but the more and more I think about it....I could buy it again and drill some holes in it to get rid of the air and let the water drain....:wink:

mrfixxall
07-14-2009, 01:41 PM
i tie up to my buddy with a swim platform and a ladder,then jump from boat to boat:)

VetteLT193
07-14-2009, 01:56 PM
True true....My wife is all about the manning up and climbing the drive but.....It worries me b/c she's a bit accident prone(Yes we have an accident insurance policy on her) :bonk: Tried the one they have at Wally world and the darn thing floats! We took it back thinking we could find a different one but the more and more I think about it....I could buy it again and drill some holes in it to get rid of the air and let the water drain....:wink:

I don't remember mine floating, but I do remember it not being that solid feeling. Did you get the Attwood one? That's what the one I have is. If you want mine, just PM me your address. I can't imagine it costing more than a couple bucks to ship it to you, you aren't very far, I'll even pay for it. I'd rather someone use it than see it go in the trash or collect more dust.

gold-n-rod
07-14-2009, 03:10 PM
This has been discussed multiple times with many contributions from owners who dealt with the same problem that you are facing. I contributed to those threads and my info, along with the others, can be found by using the search function.

I'm happy to help, should the search function not provide you with what you are seeking.

BigGrizzly
07-14-2009, 03:32 PM
Merc, I like seeing your wife board your boat, not a bad sight if I do say so.:yes::yes:

JeffH
07-14-2009, 04:17 PM
I had to figure this out or get rid of the boat! Teak swim platforms with stainless rails. Also have a sand paper type material on the drive for stepping. It does the job for boys and girls alike.

(For all you Donzi purist out there please read the post...I still have my Donzi:yes:)

Ghost
07-14-2009, 05:04 PM
Glenora, those look great. (Thought about some for my Nova, but been getting away with stepping on the rudders.) Not sure if the folks with tabs on their Classics can squeeze them, but I could.)

TBroccoli
07-14-2009, 06:40 PM
I spent years contemplating drilling holes and installing mounts for a ladder. i never did it. I just purchased a regular 4 step umbrella type hook ladder. If you unsnap the side of the back seat pad the hooks fit nicely. The ladder hooks stay just above the stainless windshield. I may add longer standoffs to straighten out the ladder. The standoffs hit the hull just above the waterline. I may drop them a little. My wife and three kids love it. Storing stinks but now I don't have to have everyone slide across the hatch. The ladder also holds my 200+ pounds. Best of all -- no holes!

JustMercMe
07-14-2009, 08:48 PM
Merc, I like seeing your wife board your boat, not a bad sight if I do say so.:yes::yes:

Thanks Grizz that solves it!!!! No ladder so we can let you guys enjoy!:kingme:

Seriously rethinking the rope ladder....With some slight modifications....The hok over the side ladders I don't think would work partly b/c my back seat does'nt snap out and i have the aluminum windscreen in place of the windsheild. I really do like the Garelick idea with the angled mount....Just don't know if it would clear the tabs and theres nothing worse than drilling holes in a boat. Ahhhh the saga continues.

yeller
07-15-2009, 05:29 AM
Again....contact CarlC. He uses a hook type ladder and he has the aluminum windscreen, not that it makes any difference (the shape/size is the same as a plexi windshield).

I think there is generally two "hook" sizes, 7" and 11". I think those are the two sizes....not sure which size Carl uses. I asked him before, but forgot. From what I remember, he modified the length of the ladder stand-offs and bent the hook slightly. I don't have a clear understanding of how it works, but from what he says, it works well.

tmdog
07-15-2009, 07:28 AM
Climbing up the side of a v-hull produces a negative pitch. I took my ladder and removed the stand-offs and used 2x4's to make a proto type. Took it to the lake and worked very well. Length of standoffs is determined by the weight of the captain.:biggrin.:

Ghost
07-15-2009, 08:01 AM
Interesting to see lots of these different approaches.

Throwing one more thought out there. I've not actually climbed out on a drive in a Classic, but on other boats, as well as my own, I swear half the battle was the handhold part, not whatever was used for the step. And the step wasn't so bad either, so long as your foot didn't slide around.

I wonder what something (even as simple as cleating a line off between the lifting eye and a stern cleat) would do for the drive-climbing method. Or get fancier with a dedicated line with a couple knots or loops to grab. Add a decent nonskid to the top of the drive housing and what about then?

All that said, I suppose the drive-step is only a problem when something DOES go wrong, and people slip off and hit it. Maybe it's time for an integrated aftermarket drive shower and boarding step...

smbarcelow
07-15-2009, 09:12 AM
How about suction cups designed for carrying glass attached on either side of the hatch to use as hand-holds? Now you've got me thinking, Ghost. Might be worth checking with the local glass shop to see what's available.

Ghost
07-15-2009, 09:21 AM
Cool thought--they have some nice heavy-duty ones for pulling elevated floor tiles in computer rooms too, if you have trouble finding anything.

As I think about it, my only reservation is I think the handhold is better for climbing out when placed further up, and those suction cup things do best when pulled perpindicularly from the surface. They tend to slide sideways along the surface more easily, especially when wet, if you tried to put one up on the deck. But who knows, might get you up to where you could get a hold on the lifting eye easily, where starting with that might be a pain. Interesting idea...

RedDog
07-15-2009, 09:24 AM
How about suction cups designed for carrying glass attached on either side of the hatch to use as hand-holds? Now you've got me thinking, Ghost. Might be worth checking with the local glass shop to see what's available.

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?order_num=-1&SKU=16092193&RN=182

I bought one of these but it never made it to the boat - I wonder where I put it?

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/assets/product_images/380/10696916092193P.JPG

zelatore
07-15-2009, 09:32 AM
http://www.seasucker.com/

You just have to like anything named 'sea sucker'

Ghost
07-15-2009, 09:38 AM

You just have to like anything named 'sea sucker' :rofl:

(BTW, for any who follow the link, if you wait for it to auto-scroll through the products, there is a ready-made grabhandle which is easy to miss if you don't know it's coming.)

Tony
07-15-2009, 12:18 PM

You just have to like anything named 'sea sucker'

I love their "bait table/serving tray"...like it could be either.
Cuttin' up some chum in the afternoon, then some sharp cheddar that evening!

Regarding the suction cup handle idea, while they look very strong, I think the captain will rue the day it lets go just as their spouse is leaning back against it the farthest. :eek:

:beer:

Tidbart
07-15-2009, 12:32 PM

Cha-Ching! $109 ouch

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=suction+handle&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=3503374875&ref=pd_sl_8lt6ls7u4o_b

Cheaper. Some with free shipping.

Stay away from the black colored cups, they leave rings.

B

BigGrizzly
07-15-2009, 01:05 PM
Merc you know me I like pretty things.

Madcow
07-16-2009, 03:57 PM
My plan is (one of these days) Is to make a step thing that will bolt on to the out drive similarly to a wing plate on a twin aplication. Not all that big or wide, but something with a little bit of traction. Then just use the lifting eye for a handle.

TBroccoli
07-19-2009, 09:00 PM
TMDOG, Do you have a picture of the top of your ladder?

tmdog
07-20-2009, 06:55 AM
Best pic I have.

roadtrip se
07-20-2009, 07:45 AM
a Formula SS with a big swim platform and a built-in, extending, SS ladder. Also has a fridge and the the prep area for the bait tray, um I mean, late afternoon snack platter. Last time out, the smoked salmon and cheddar combo went fast with our gang.

I have seen many approaches attempted on the Classics to fix the drive climbing problem. Most results look like it would be just as easy to teach people to climb the drive. If it came down to fix it or lose it, I would probably go with some sort of mini-swim platforms mounted on either side of the drive, so there is some structure outside of the boat to hook a ladder and handles to for stability.

fogducker III
07-20-2009, 08:11 AM
If you have a look half way down this thread, Titan has a VERY nice clean set-up on his 22, I have seen this and if I was a swimmer and needed a way to get back on the boat from the water, this is the way to do it. IMO...:wink:

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=55022

JustMercMe
07-21-2009, 08:11 AM
If you have a look half way down this thread, Titan has a VERY nice clean set-up on his 22, I have seen this and if I was a swimmer and needed a way to get back on the boat from the water, this is the way to do it. IMO...:wink:

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=55022

Thats what I was refering to when I mentioned a Garelick ladder. Seems to me the best option (for looks and use) to get. The only issue being the storage issue which I'm sure I can store in the bilge somewhere.

Thanks for the replies fellas! I'm gonna do a lil more thinking on it before I start drilling holes.

tmdog
07-21-2009, 08:25 AM
Best pic I have.
This Garelick ladder folds and tucks away neatly between the driver's seat and gunnell. It stays put even in rough water on my 18.

TBroccoli
07-21-2009, 08:36 AM
Climbing up the drive is definately the easiest when it comes to least amount of changes to the boat. The ladder off the transom not much install work either. BUT I hate still having to get across the engine hatch. I like the idea of climbing right into the cockpit area. My hook ladder (11" ) gets me right into the back seat. All I have to do is unsnap a few spots on my bench seat back rest. I would love it to be a little more stable but I do not want to drill any holes in the deck.

yeller
07-21-2009, 12:27 PM
The only issue being the storage issue which I'm sure I can store in the bilge somewhere.

Where the heck is CarlC? I know I keep harping on this, but you have to check out his setup. His boat has a fairing like yours and uses a hook ladder off the side. I think he used a 7" hook ladder. The narrower hook prevents the ladder from dropping down far enough to hit the fairing. I'd go this route with a collapsible ladder. Light weight and easy to store.

Spdboat
07-22-2009, 01:03 PM
This is the main reason why the wife said "Hell No" to a classic. It looks like a 22z is the route we will go. That and the swim platform on the back is great for kids.

Tony
07-22-2009, 08:08 PM
Where the heck is CarlC? I know I keep harping on this, but you have to check out his setup. His boat has a fairing like yours and uses a hook ladder off the side. I think he used a 7" hook ladder. The narrower hook prevents the ladder from dropping down far enough to hit the fairing. I'd go this route with a collapsible ladder. Light weight and easy to store.

This is what I do for guests, and I feel it works real well.
The thin rubber covering over the J-hooks eventually chafe through but is easy to beef up.

Myself...I am an outdrive climber, because I am still so agile. :) :crossfing:

blackhawk
07-22-2009, 08:32 PM
Add K-planes and external steering. :D

CHACHI
07-23-2009, 05:04 AM
Myself...I am an outdrive climber, because I am still so agile. :) :crossfing:

:beer:[/quote]

You have youth on your side.

Ken

Tony
07-24-2009, 12:03 PM
You have youth on your side.

Ken

I don't know, you must have been fairly supple to successfully skip along the St. Lawrence River at 60 mph...:wink:

HOWARD O
07-26-2009, 06:04 AM
I don't know, you must have been fairly supple to successfully skip along the St. Lawrence River at 60 mph...:wink:

Ouch! Tough Crowd! :lol9:

Carl C
07-26-2009, 06:18 AM

hehe, this subject has been beaten to death so this is my first look at this thread. None of my guests will be allowed to climb the drive with the almost razor sharp BBlades prop on there. Yes I use a modified universal over-gunnel ladder with a towel under it. I also have more stowage space than most Classics.

CHACHI
07-27-2009, 06:03 AM

:beer:If it were 60 I would of been a happy camper.

Ken