PDA

View Full Version : Minx vs Classics - What are the differences?

RW2003
07-14-2009, 07:14 AM
For the past few months I've been "drooling" over the Donzi for Sale listings... I know I'm not alone but for some reason the Hornet and Minx styles really appeal to me.

What sets these 2 styles apart from the 16/18/22 Classics of the same time? I realize that they are in the 19-21' range in size but what else about them is different?

Thanks,
Rob

jimishooch
07-14-2009, 07:44 AM
freeboard on the minx............

CHACHI
07-14-2009, 07:47 AM
Windshield on the Minx really works and works well.

Ken

olredalert
07-14-2009, 07:48 AM
------Freeboard on the Hornets, as well. Also mucho flair in the bow to keep the ride as dry as possible. Hornets also have less degree (18 degree as compared to 24) in the "V" so some would argue that the ride is a bit rougher:wink:........Bill S

CHACHI
07-14-2009, 07:49 AM
Minx has cupholders do to a different people pit layout.

Same deadrise on the hull.

Ken

gcarter
07-14-2009, 08:16 AM
Minx is a Classic, but only built for three years.

VetteLT193
07-14-2009, 08:52 AM
As previously said, Minx has a taller cockpit due to a taller freeboard. Cupholders rock!. I'm still surprised they didn't put cupholders somewhere in the 22's.

You sit a bit more upright in the minx... your feet are right in front of you in a 22, a Minx they are down a bit more. Buckets are the same.

Shifter is mounted horizontally in the Minx, 22 vertically. It allows the Minx to have zero effort / gaffrig / whatever controls.

The ride is excellent in both. In my experience the Minx likes to ride flatter than the 22.

Trailering the Minx is obviously easier than a 22.

My Minx gets great gas mileage. Always a good thing.

The Minx Dash is angled from the factory, so the gauges kind of point at you. The 22 has a flat dash.

The cupholder area inside the cockpit works as a nice place to step for getting in/out of the boat and negotiating your way up to the bow.

The rear deck of the Minx is basically flat. you can put a drink on it and it won't tip over or slide off. It's nice to sit up there for rear passengers when going slow. The 22 is curved. Sexier for sure, but not quite as functional.

The hull bottom between the 22 and Minx are as identical as can be considering the length difference. My brother's 22 Trailer and my Minx trailer measure out identical except for the length of the bunks.

RW2003
07-14-2009, 07:29 PM
Thanks to all! :)

joseph m. hahnl
07-14-2009, 07:56 PM
For the past few months I've been "drooling" over the Donzi for Sale listings... I know I'm not alone but for some reason the Hornet and Minx styles really appeal to me.

What sets these 2 styles apart from the 16/18/22 Classics of the same time? I realize that they are in the 19-21' range in size but what else about them is different?

Thanks,
Rob

The Minx is the only classic:kingme:, with a windshield that is acceptable to all the brothers:wink:

olredalert
07-14-2009, 08:21 PM
-------Minx's appear to be common these days. They seem to be everywhere.:wink::wink: Get a rare DONZI. Spend some time and track down a Hornet. I wish I could find one!!!..........Bill S

Pismo
07-14-2009, 08:28 PM
Get a 21 GT. Great mix of the Classic and Minx.

RW2003
07-14-2009, 09:07 PM
Minx, Hornet, GT21 - all good to me!!!

There was a post for a GT 21 for sale from back in May. It was yellow and white and in NC, originally a Fl boat. That's a beauty too.
http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=56060&highlight=gt

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=43039&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1234196368

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=45167&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1240263943
Either would be good for me!

Donzi Vol
07-14-2009, 11:02 PM
I really dig the minx. I've been in 4 18's (driven 3), 2 22's (driven 1), 1 16 (driven it), and a minx (didn't drive it :frown:). They all ride and drive different, but are equally fun in my opinion. I went from playing around in the 16 o/b to riding in cutwater's minx a few weeks ago and it was a world of difference. I call the 16 o/b a big jet ski with a big motor hanging off the back. It'll get away from you quick! So when I was riding with cutwater and he was accelorating going into cross wakes (aka big crazy water), I almost freaked out until we cut right through them and I didn't even get close to getting wet. I describe it as feeling comfortable in the boat. Almost seems like it's more narrow and deeper in the cockpit/tub.

So, all that the say that if you've got some big water and don't feel like getting bounced around too awful much, I'd at least drive a minx and see what you think.

Pismo
07-15-2009, 07:22 AM
What size lake etc. are you on? Is ride very important or don't you care or is your lake calm usually.

Rodger
07-15-2009, 08:06 AM
The Minx has more of the nice turning & handling characteristics you find in the 16 & 18's as opposed to the bulkier handling of the 22's.

VetteLT193
07-15-2009, 08:21 AM
-------Minx's appear to be common these days. They seem to be everywhere.:wink::wink: Get a rare DONZI. Spend some time and track down a Hornet. I wish I could find one!!!..........Bill S

The Minx market is odd. I have followed it closely for a few years now. They are either all over or you can't find one. Seems like every 9 months or so a bunch hit the market, then they all disappears again. Sometimes you can't find a single one for sale and other times, like right now, there are 6 or more for sale.

RW2003
07-15-2009, 09:16 PM
What size lake etc. are you on? Is ride very important or don't you care or is your lake calm usually.

I'm in Essex County, NJ.. so that puts me closest to the Hudson River/ NY Bay area. Maybe Greenwood Lake and Lake Hapotcong to the west of me. Then there is always the Jersey Shore.

joseph m. hahnl
07-24-2009, 10:10 AM
Came across this:wink:

lazeyjack (http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/profile/lazeyjack.html) http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/images/statusicon/user_offline.gif
Banned
Rep: 394 Posts: 2,331

in my long experience, , building and using deep V planing boats, , anything over 20 degrees aft makes the boat unstable down wind and sucks up power
I prefer a deep forefoot, for soft riding in a chop . with sections flattening aft, for easy lift and stable ride, with inbuilt gullwing chines and MINUIMUM strakes, just two short ones about one third of the way up from centreline . These not for liift so much as directional stability Multiple and long strakes make the ride hard.

And This :wink:

Is there one optimum angle of deadrise?
Yes and no. Ray Hunt’s original 24-degree angle has been proven in raceboats to provide the best performance in ocean racing. For boats whose speeds will be more moderate, particularly in the 20-35 knot range that is sensible for fast cruising and touring, we have had success with lower angles. Many of the yachts we design today have deadrise as little as 18 degrees.
Shallower angles are more prone to pounding at extremely high speeds but are more appropriate as speed and boat weight are reduced. The deadrise angle, within this narrow range, is determined by the intended purpose of the boat and the many aspects attached to its size, weight, power, etc.

It kind of insinuates and confirms my suspicions that the Hornet would be a much better ocean boat. Not so much as a ride factor but as a wind and stability factor:crossfing:

Interesting site take a lookhttp://www.huntdesigns.com/

BigGrizzly
07-24-2009, 06:18 PM
There are more differences than what is listed like length and with etc.