PDA

View Full Version : Tilting with windmills....

gcarter
07-13-2009, 07:54 AM
And why so many "Green Dreams" won't work.......

US wind power

Published: July 12 2009 19:31 | Last updated: July 12 2009 19:31

http://media.ft.com/cms/7b93589a-6f09-11de-9109-00144feabdc0.gifFor sale, 30-storey high windmills, as new, $3m each.
Investing in alternative energy is far from riskless, as US billionaire T. Boone Pickens, unhappy owner of 687 unwanted wind turbines, can attest. He made a Texas-sized bet last year that the largest US renewable energy project would allow him to do well by doing good, forecasting a 25 per cent annualised return on the $10bn-$12bn venture. He tied its announcement to a $60m public relations blitz promoting US energy independence. But success was predicated on fossil fuel prices remaining high and the willingness of both taxpayers and local utility customers to subsidise him.
Federal subsidies, including a direct “production tax credit” and accelerated depreciation, remain on the table but much else has changed. Natural gas, which sets the marginal price of electricity, has dropped by 70 per cent since Mr Pickens announced the project. The final straw, though, was the delay in state funding for expensive transmission lines needed to carry the power to customers.The Department of Energy expects wind to reach 4 per cent of US electric generation by 2030, from 1.3 per cent now – based on state-level targets. This could be achieved even without mammoth projects such as Mr Pickens’ delayed wind farm, which would have comprised 15 per cent of existing US wind output. He hoped to see wind penetration reach a far higher 22 per cent.
Wind farms built far from cities and outside the shelter of regulated utilities’ rate bases remain risky without a big jump in infrastructure subsidies. Linking the windy Great Plains to big population centres could cost $100bn for transmission lines alone, according to one utility consortium. That does not count the cost of turbines or the subsidies needed to make them competitive. And, because of wind’s intermittency, they must be supplemented by gas-fired plants too.
Commercial risks such as that are too much for anyone – even a swashbuckling oilman such as Pickens.

Ghost
07-13-2009, 10:41 AM
Thanks for posting, that was interesting. I've been and remain curious about that whole venture. Can't say I trust Pickens--he came to campus and spoke when I was in school. (Back when hostile corporate takeover was his big game. Hmmm, maybe it still is...) I listened, and he had quite a pitch about driving stock prices up for the the shareholders and what not. But from where I was sitting, it sounded like an all-short-term ploy that took great, longstanding healthy companies and saddled them with massive debt, squeezing equity out and seeing their worth drop after the temporary rise. And I got a very uncomfortable snake-oil-salesman personal read on the guy, just being in the room with him.

Judging by what looks utterly nonsensical to me about his big plan in the last couple of years, and the HORRIBLE stuff he ignores and won't talk about in the bills he supports, because he just wants his subsidy taken care of and consequences be-damned, I'd say my first impression was about right.

gcarter
07-13-2009, 11:33 AM
I read something about his plan, after the fact, and why it went away.
An anual build rate of 3000 windmills only takes care of increased demand, and doesn't free up any natural gas to power cars with.
Coupled w/the reality that winnd turbines are only about 20% efficient when it comes to utilization, it's not a very good plan.
And this is all besides any subsidies that may exist.

Conquistador_del_mar
07-13-2009, 01:11 PM
Thanks, George. I was excited last year when he ran those ads, but the realities of so many obstacles turned against his dream. I can't say he was a popular man after his many hostile takeovers, but I thought he was on the right track with the wind generator plans. Since my grandfather was president and CEO of Phillips Petroleum back in the 60s, I remember hearing many negative things about him when he did the Phillips takeover bid in 1984. I have still not decided if Pickens is doing what he thinks is right for this country or just himself. Bill