PDA

View Full Version : Market, status of Donzi

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
07-12-2009, 05:36 PM
This weekend was a huge 100 + powerboat run locally, I am not current on the state of affairs with the Donzi Factory, just home again last week. Talk at the dock I hear about Donzi was not good. ???

Yes I feel this is an OK place to ask, for me I am just curious, love my 2003 33ZX and need nothing from them...

I am about to retire and build her a new garage. In my ZX DONZI forever! I THINK.... :-) She rocked yesterday in the Ches Bay.

Just checking in. My interest is in our love for Donzi...
This weekend allowed me to talk with the "those in the know at Cig and Fountain." School me....

Got to love a picture of Reggie tying up a Cig... yes it is coming... Fountain is at least out there selling in person and had the majority of the boats at this outing, all looking good..

You know I love my Donzi.... Here is a shot from my stern, got to love chicks that think they can dance, now I know why God made Vodka!.....

Bryan

PS, we know who invented the internet, glad we ellected the originator of rap... it makes chicks get toppless...

blackhawk
07-12-2009, 05:47 PM
Unfortunately, I think A LOT of boat manufacturers are hurting in a bad way. :(

I sure hope Donzi makes it through this. Fountain is in really bad shape right now.

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
07-12-2009, 05:53 PM
I hope the best also for Donzi, I may need a 4th one someday.. yet I hate feeling uniformed at the dock with people that know what their talking about, yes I could google, check shares etc... no time for that in my life....
Their wallets on the dock equal mine, but I lack indrustry knowledege I guess.

Regardless, I love my Donzi.... Z-RATED for a reason.

Best to all.
Bryan

blackhawk
07-12-2009, 06:02 PM
I hope the best also for Donzi, I may need a 4th one someday.. yet I hate feeling uniformed at the dock with people that know what their talking about, yes I could google, check shares etc... no time for that in my life....
Their wallets on the dock equal mine, but I lack indrustry knowledege I guess.
Regardless, I love my Donzi.... Z-RATED for a reason.
Best to all.
Bryan

But who's to say they are "right"? Lots of "opinions" out there. Don't worry about it, go out and enjoy your boat! :D

I used to watch/listen to the news during work to stay informed on current events. I was literally depressed at the end of the day.

Here some info on the sale of Donzi:

http://www.boattest.com/Resources/view_news.aspx?NewsID=3503

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
07-12-2009, 06:10 PM
Thanks, I just like to be informed when I talk to other boaters. I am certainly not trying to scratch a bad rash, here say sucks.

Thanks to those who reply to help inform me. If not, I will do my own research and post it here to help the next guy.

Bryan

The Hedgehog
07-12-2009, 08:40 PM
I don't know about what sort of cryptic talk was going on earlier. Evidently there were a few on the board that new some sort of "big secret." I just found out that they went into receivership a couple of months or so back and it has been posted recently that they been purchased by a private equity group.

I pulled the public stuff and did not find much derogatory stuff but I stopped short of pulling a D&B because I did not feel like spending a few dollars on info that would come out anyway.

Donzi is a great name and has built some great boats. They should weather this storm.

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
07-12-2009, 08:50 PM
Thanks. Great feedback. No cryptic talk, trust me when I say the people from Cig and Fountain were high enough in the food chain to know the deal. For me, I just ask a simple question here. Hell you would think it was public knowledge.. Guess not. Anyone buy a new Donzi the last 2 years? Chime in....

Want to know what the current administration is doing to the Military? Yes I am way high in the food chain, and will give a public honest answer.

I have loved all 3 of my Donzi's. I just like to be educated at the dock when the BS comes out about companies. Especially to the guys that slowed as I went to 5200 in deep sea's, life jacket and lanyard on and said see ya Biotch.... LOL

Bryan

The Hedgehog
07-12-2009, 08:55 PM
Thanks. Great feedback. No cryptic talk, trust me when I say the people from Cig and Fountain were high enough in the food chain to know the deal. For me, I just ask a simple question here. Hell you would think it was public knowledge.. Guess not. Anyone buy a new Donzi the last 2 years? Chime in....
Want to know what the current administration is doing to the Military? Yes I am way high in the food chain, and will give a public honest answer.
I have loved all 3 of my Donzi's. I just like to be educated at the dock when the BS comes out about companies. Especially to the guys that slowed as I went to 5200 in deep sea's, life jacket and lanyard on and said see ya Biotch.... LOL
Bryan

I am sure that you have the answers to questions I would rather not know! I would not mind hearing about it over a beer sometimes though.

BUIZILLA
07-12-2009, 08:56 PM
Want to know what the current administration is doing to the Military? Yes I am way high in the food chain, and will give a public honest answer. i'm all ear's..

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
07-12-2009, 09:04 PM
BUIZILLA
Ask a question if your all ears!
I will only speak Navy... are you a DOD contractor?

Call me any time. I am leaving the Navy as an officer of 28 years, anyway... Love my Donzi... I mean this thread in good flavor, please do not read it wrong.

Bryan

blackhawk
07-13-2009, 08:30 AM
Thanks. Great feedback. No cryptic talk, trust me when I say the people from Cig and Fountain were high enough in the food chain to know the deal.

Just curious, did the Fountain guys talk about the health of Fountain at all?

roadtrip se
07-13-2009, 09:42 AM
I was one of the "cryptic" talkers here a few weeks back.

What was going on with Donzi isn't and wasn't a big secret, just not necessarily fodder for a blog forum like this one. You can understand the concept of confidentiality I am sure as an Officer. Some here just think everybody should spill their guts...

Gimme a call when the dust settles from getting home and your done burning off a little excess fuel! We'll catch up.

The Hedgehog
07-14-2009, 08:01 AM
I was one of the "cryptic" talkers here a few weeks back.
What was going on with Donzi isn't and wasn't a big secret, just not necessarily fodder for a blog forum like this one. You can understand the concept of confidentiality I am sure as an Officer. Some here just think everybody should spill their guts...
Gimme a call when the dust settles from getting home and your done burning off a little excess fuel! We'll catch up.

The best way to keep a secret is not to tell anyone you know anything.

If you say you know something but won't tell what it is you come across being either cryptic or someone that is just looking for attention. That is just the way it is.

smokediver
07-14-2009, 09:13 AM
I agree Hedge ! loose lips sink ships .. My concern is the people that worked there and hopefully they will be able to find other jobs ...

VetteLT193
07-14-2009, 10:00 AM
I directly asked Donzi if they cared if I shared the info. Craig B. said he did not care at all. Reality is talking about it and getting it out there will only help values, not hurt them. Making it some mystery is the worst thing you can do for customer confidence.

Splendid
07-14-2009, 10:18 AM
http://www.heraldtribune.com/article/20090625/ARTICLE/906251047?Title=Private-investors-buy-Manatee-s-Donzi-Marine

roadtrip se
07-14-2009, 11:32 AM
My motivation a few weeks ago was to head off the speculation that was rampant here and elsewhere, not some strange sense or desire for garnering attention. People were starting to look a little foolish, including a few here.

As for being concerned about re-sale values, good one. Do you really think a bunch of uninformed specualtion helps inspire someone to buy a boat? Besides, who really buys a boat as an investment in the first place? Maybe as an investment in your sanity, yes, but I would think there are better places to put your money.

The end result is the same, Donzi is back up and running and they weren't. Hedge, if you are looking to do a little digging, look and see if you can find a filing for the actual sale of the company. Might be, might not be.

Sorry guys, if this makes you all a little pissy, but contrary to what some of you might think, some things just don't belong on the WWW (a statment I have made many times here over the past few weeks BTW), and information that is shared in confidence with me STAYS in confidence with me.

VetteLT193
07-14-2009, 01:11 PM
I understand keeping something quiet. I understand openly talking about something. I don't understand a mystery post, something like : "I know something is going on but I won't say" That kind of public post raises eyebrows and induces fear.

What we all talked about during the Donzi is sold thread was perfectly fine. It said the company is moving forward, so potential buyers aren't worried about the company folding. I never said it was an investment, but who the hell wants to buy a new boat from a company on shaky grounds??? That is the feeling from mystery posts... makes people feel shaky. If you don't want to say something publicly, don't say anything at all.

roadtrip se
07-14-2009, 02:18 PM
I understand keeping something quiet. I understand openly talking about something. I don't understand a mystery post, something like : "I know something is going on but I won't say" That kind of public post raises eyebrows and induces fear.

No, I, as well as others here (including one of the moderators) pointed out that the "openly talking" or speculation was not called for and implied that good news was coming.

What we all talked about during the Donzi is sold thread was perfectly fine. It said the company is moving forward, so potential buyers aren't worried about the company folding.

No, there was little, if any real information in the posts other than the rumor-mill. Very little, if any of it, was the truth. It probably created more damage, than good. More gossip than anything else.

I never said it was an investment, but who the hell wants to buy a new boat from a company on shaky grounds???

What boat company ISN'T on shaky ground right now? You said you were concerned about resale and I responded with who buys a boat as an investment. Get it?

That is the feeling from mystery posts... makes people feel shaky. If you don't want to say something publicly, don't say anything at all.

The end result, that Donzi is in business, if barely, is the same. Whether I feel like posting what I know is my decision, and out of respect for and at the request of my sources, I chose to keep it to myself, with the exception of pointing out that the end result would be good news. Nothing wrong with it at all and frankly I don't care if you share that opinion or not.

BigGrizzly
07-14-2009, 03:31 PM
From a marine engine manufacturer I can say that the entire boating industry is in a slump. DONZI is one of the only boat makers that has NOT filed chapter 11 since its start I believe 1964. As for resale Do you really believe it will fall of like the DeLorian thing, not hardly. The Mystique is alive and well. As for parts this is not an issue everything is vendor supplied and can be replaced. As for a new boat I have a 42 year old one a 38 year old one and a 29 year old one that I can sell easily if I wanted to. Now look around how many Donzi s are for sale cheap where the owner is not upside down in debt. the used boat market is not bad. Not to worry unless BO says Donzi contributes to global warming or is in the stupid cap and trade. there is no warming and cap and trade is a way to make money, so next election vote everyone out both repubs and dems especially that house speaker and liar along with Dodd and Frank and the others.

VetteLT193
07-14-2009, 03:55 PM
...Very little, if any of it, was the truth. ...

As for posting things on the WWW that don't belong there, I would proclaim you the expert over the past few weeks. So save your preaching for someone who is more deserving of it.

What I posted I heard directly from Donzi while either talking to Craig B. over the phone or while I was actually at the factory That's my source. If you have a better one than that. WOW considering I can't think of one better. Maybe you'll be named the new president :boggled:

Any speculation claims I made were clearly made as such (Like thinking Craig might be named the new man in charge, that is speculation by me, and I made it clear and gave reasoning behind it). Of course, that was after buying a new Donzi, dealing with the factory, and getting a feel for things there.

The only expert about spewing crap on the WWW is you. You seem to have a problem with all kinds of people, and the shortest fuse I've ever seen. I was just talking to another member on the phone today and he mentioned stuff you said on the WWW about him and others. Kind of funny. I've dealt with a ton of people and companies over the last couple of years, and only had a problem with a couple of them. And I didn't post anything until after I got very negative feedback from them over the phone. Crappy customer service leads to crappy posts, in that order. And it's a good thing to post that, so no one else here falls into the same traps that I did.

roadtrip se
07-14-2009, 05:27 PM
What I posted I heard directly from Donzi while either talking to Craig B. over the phone or while I was actually at the factory That's my source. If you have a better one than that. WOW considering I can't think of one better. Maybe you'll be named the new president :boggled:
Any speculation claims I made were clearly made as such (Like thinking Craig might be named the new man in charge, that is speculation by me, and I made it clear and gave reasoning behind it). Of course, that was after buying a new Donzi, dealing with the factory, and getting a feel for things there.
The only expert about spewing crap on the WWW is you. You seem to have a problem with all kinds of people, and the shortest fuse I've ever seen. I was just talking to another member on the phone today and he mentioned stuff you said on the WWW about him and others. Kind of funny. I've dealt with a ton of people and companies over the last couple of years, and only had a problem with a couple of them. And I didn't post anything until after I got very negative feedback from them over the phone. Crappy customer service leads to crappy posts, in that order. And it's a good thing to post that, so no one else here falls into the same traps that I did.

Are you going for a record for most deleted posts in a week? Hope you get to see this before it gets poofed...

Actually, I do have a pretty good source, equally as good as your buddy Craig actually. But I didn't know we were comparing sources. As for your perception of what is going on and what you heard at Donzi, I question whether your perception of reality is really right on, after you stated that all of the boat buy backs from broke dealers were fresh production boats. Check the serial numbers, dude.

I will ignore your comments about me personally, because you don't know me and I don't care what you think of me any way.

As for your abuse of the WWW, in the past few weeks you have utilized this site to spread BS about a Donzi sale, apply pressure on Donzi to solicit a free set of props for the ZXO, harass Brett Anderson when he denied your bogus prop cover certificate, and called the MWDC a bunch of liars for running a corrupt auction.

Now who has the short fuse? And a credibility problem?

Short fuse? In regards to you? Yep.

gold-n-rod
07-14-2009, 05:27 PM
From a marine engine manufacturer I can say that the entire boating industry is in a slump. DONZI is one of the only boat makers that has NOT filed chapter 11 since its start I believe 1964. As for resale Do you really believe it will fall of like the DeLorian thing, not hardly. The Mystique is alive and well. As for parts this is not an issue everything is vendor supplied and can be replaced. As for a new boat I have a 42 year old one a 38 year old one and a 29 year old one that I can sell easily if I wanted to. Now look around how many Donzi s are for sale cheap where the owner is not upside down in debt. the used boat market is not bad. Not to worry unless BO says Donzi contributes to global warming or is in the stupid cap and trade. there is no warming and cap and trade is a way to make money, so next election vote everyone out both repubs and dems especially that house speaker and liar along with Dodd and Frank and the others.

I thought there was a new forum for these rants? :confused:

The Hedgehog
07-14-2009, 11:10 PM
The way I see it is simple

If you sack up and buy a boat you can bitch or talk. If you don't then shut the F@$#$ck up.

Otherwise you can't bitch. Check talks, BS walks.

Sack up or don't complain. You wont see me crying when I smash the gears in my XR. That is just life.

Sorry to be so abrupt. Vette sacked up and bought a new 28ZX. It should step up to the plate and RUN!

Sorry if you dont agree but if you but a boat it should work. That is just the way it is!

Tidbart
07-15-2009, 06:53 AM
:popcorn:

The Hedgehog
07-15-2009, 08:41 AM
Wow,

I was hammered last night!:alky::drinkbeer::rock:

The Hedgehog
07-15-2009, 09:05 AM
Hedge...You know that you are my go to guy on Donzi.net BUT......I don't really agree..... Just because you go buy a boat does not make you know any more and after the Brett Anderson thing I really have to agree with Todd. I know Brett and he is a stand up guy. I have had props lab finished and you have too. If I could take 175 bucks and get the best guy in the country to lab it and cover the shipping I think that I would faint!! I think that there was a lot of miscommunication and a lot of mis interpretation going on there. I do not want to get into the middle of this and I don't really care. The truth is that none of have new boats or anything like new boats. Vette just bought his boat but even if Donzi was in better financial shape than any company in America...he bought a discontinued boat. They were not going to make any more ZX boats anyway. So what does it matter. I can tell you that it is a crap shoot for anyone to get any parts for their old Donzi.

As far as buying a boat that will not work goes...who does that anyway?? Have you ever bought a boat and not water tested it first? I am sure that if they would have put the boat in the water at the factory and test driven it that they could have gotten that prop issue taken care of right on the spot....not on the WWW. On the same note...who sells a boat not knowing if it will work....I think that selling a boat with props that don't work on the boat is bad business too.

You have some good points about the whole water testing and getting a few facts straight before airing it out.

I could have deleted my post and hidden but I though it was best just to plead guilty to intoxication.

Ghost
07-15-2009, 09:10 AM
Quick aside on that front: I took a brand new Ski Nautique out for a test drive in the early 90s. It never got up on plane. Engine went straight into "limp mode" (pun not intended but plenty appropriate).

Last Real Texan
07-15-2009, 09:32 AM
And to think I almost missed this...I love it " Sack up or shut up "

what a bunch of Pansies

Todd what the hell have you been smokin...you put the miricle grow in the flowerpot not the pipe

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Tex out!

roadtrip se
07-15-2009, 10:00 AM
Todd what the hell have you been smokin...you put the miricle grow in the flowerpot not the pipe

Tex out!

Tex,

Thanks man. I should own stock in Dell, as much equipment as I destroy. Thanks for the laugh. The miracle grow does have many purposes, now doesn't it?

Let's just say that there has been a big fur ball made up of many parts lying in the middle of my living room floor for several days now. As crazy as I might look here, that thing was starting to smell and I am tired of looking at it. Lots going on in the background and a little frustration may have spilled over here. I apologize for that.

Anybody that wants details can PM me, as a few of you already have.

Maybe I should try a little more of what Hedge is having....

Donziweasel
07-15-2009, 10:05 AM

Make mine a double......:wink:

Last Real Texan
07-15-2009, 10:32 AM
Tex,

Thanks man. I should own stock in Dell, as much equipment as I destroy. Thanks for the laugh. The miracle grow does have many purposes, now doesn't it?

Let's just say that there has been a big fur ball made up of many parts lying in the middle of my living room floor for several days now. As crazy as I might look here, that thing was starting to smell and I am tired of looking at it. Lots going on in the background and a little frustration may have spilled over here. I apologize for that.

Anybody that wants details can PM me, as a few of you already have.

Glad to see we can all still rib each other and no one gets there panties in a wad...Todd you are a good sport...it was funny eh...

Tex

BigGrizzly
07-15-2009, 01:05 PM
Tex the only reason you like Todd is that you don't have to look down:yes::yes::yes: when I talked to both of you at Cumberland it was like sitting in the first row in a movie theater.:nilly:

Donziweasel
07-15-2009, 04:22 PM
Tex the only reason you like Todd is that you don't have to look down

You should have seen him in the JH Airport baggage claim this winter. 6 ft 5 guy with a 5 ft wife and kid............wasn't hard to miss........:wink::)

Last Real Texan
07-15-2009, 04:23 PM
Nope .....It's not easy being Tex