PDA

View Full Version : Willys Build..........

fogducker III
07-12-2009, 09:55 AM
I know it is not really Donzi related, other than I will use it to tow the Donzi.............:wink:

I realize there are a few people on here that not only restore boats, but vehicles, so I thought someone might be interested...:popcorn:

1957 Willys Jeep, basically original but in need of some loving...:frown:

I got all new body parts for her (tub is an M3A so a little different but not much)

So I got all the body parts off, transfer case, transmission, engine and PTO winch are out and I dropped the transfer case and transmission at the shop for an inspection and a "refresh"....

Engine is downtown at the machine shop and will be hot tanked and magnafluxed and see where we need to go from there, it ran fine when pulled so hopefully it also will only need a refresh. Hurricane F4 134cid.

Got the frame off yesterday and will clean that up and start working on the axles and springs today. I have a new set of springs coming, these ones have seen better days...........

I think I will take the frame to a guy in Sidney who media blasts, did a good job for me on a couple of other parts.

Then the fun begins, plan is to clean up and inspect the axles, do a front disc brake conversion and perhaps swap out the rear 9" drums for 11" drums, clean-up and install rebuild kit into the steering system, I have decided to keep the old mechanical system, for the type and amount of driving I will be doing, power steering is a waste.........

Then will look at installing the new springs, get the frame mounted, engine in, trannie and transfer case in (I kept the T-90 three speed but will be adding the Saturn Overdrive)

I can then re-wire the electrical, got a complete wiring harness from Painless, see how that goes......I also changed over from points distributor to electronic, less hassles. I should then be able to install tub, fenders and fuel tank and add engine and under hood components. I will leave the dash, seats etc to last...........wish me luck.....http://monkeycage.island4x4.com/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif

gcarter
07-12-2009, 10:07 AM
Good luck with your project.
From a period of time when manufacturers actually named their engines and what were they thinking about when they named it Hurricane?
A lot of wind?

Again, good luck. :yes:

fogducker III
07-12-2009, 10:22 AM
Good luck with your project.
From a period of time when manufacturers actually named their engines and what were they thinking about when they named it Hurricane?
A lot of wind?

Again, good luck. :yes:

I think the reference to "wind" was the high compression ratio obtained from the design............:wink:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Willys_Hurricane_engine

MOP
07-12-2009, 10:25 AM
Just going to tow or will you do a little off road?

gcarter
07-12-2009, 10:25 AM
Thanks, I learn something new every day.

Donziweasel
07-12-2009, 12:10 PM
Jeremy, as one who has restored my share of crap, a couple of things to consider. Once the frame is blasted, paint it with POR-15. Stuff is amazing. Just use a brush, it is self leveling. Once on, your frame will be rust free and look great for life. I used it all over the Bronco, from fuel tank, axles, diffs, and frame. You can sand it and paint over it. Especailly great in areas where water pools and promotes rust. Sad to build a sweet ride and have it rust out in a few years.

Let me know if you need anything.

JP

fogducker III
07-12-2009, 01:03 PM
Just going to tow or will you do a little off road?

A little of both, there is excellent 4x4'ing here on the island, my young brother owns this site... www.island4x4.com (http://www.island4x4.com) I frequent the site and outings regularly.

fogducker III
07-12-2009, 01:08 PM
Jeremy, as one who has restored my share of crap, a couple of things to consider. Once the frame is blasted, paint it with POR-15. Stuff is amazing. Just use a brush, it is self leveling. Once on, your frame will be rust free and look great for life. I used it all over the Bronco, from fuel tank, axles, diffs, and frame. You can sand it and paint over it. Especailly great in areas where water pools and promotes rust. Sad to build a sweet ride and have it rust out in a few years.

Let me know if you need anything.

JP

Thanks John, who makes the POR-15, where should I look to get it?

Now that everything is stripped I have decided to replace everything and anything that needs to be replaced, very time consuming sourcing parts around here, most of the stuff I have had to buy online.........do you have a set of axle U bolts???:wink:

Donziweasel
07-12-2009, 01:59 PM
POR 15 stands for Paint Over Rust. It is designed to be a non-porous surface. Basically, rust needs air. Stuff seals it in. I have never painted over rust with it, I always blast and then paint.

First you spray the Metal Ready on it. It is a self etching primer. Then paint. My Bronco chassis is beautiful, a nice shiney black. Stuff is so strong, you can beat on it with a hammer and not put a mark on it. Don't get it on your hands though. Wear surgical gloves, stuff won't come off. They have some other cool products also. A lot of restorers use it. Like I said, anything you put it on will never rust again. Looks good too.

http://www.por15.com/

I am very interested in your project, keep me posted. BTW, was it a 24 volt system?

fogducker III
07-12-2009, 05:05 PM
Thanks for the link, I will grab some of that tomorrow, got the axles all cleaned up today and frame ready and loaded on the car trailer to take to the media blaster. Expecting a large shippment of parts this week and the engine, trans and transfer case should be started this week. I will spend the week cleaning up small parts and getting things organized for assembly, now the fun begins....:wink:

PS. No 24V, luckly it is 12V........parts for the 24V are REAL expensive...

Donziweasel
07-12-2009, 05:47 PM
If you don't have one, think about getting a blasting cabnet. Even a smaller benchtop one. Worth thier weight in gold on an old resto. dirt, rust, oil, goodbye.....:wink:

hoping to have the bronco ready this winter.....

rtgogo
07-12-2009, 06:51 PM
Cool project....please keep us posted...I've been thinkin of doing something similar as the boys get a little older and can help....plus it's a great excuse to escape to the dungeon at night for a cigar and beverage!! Good luck...Enjoy!

fogducker III
07-12-2009, 07:38 PM
Picked up a quart of POR-15......thanks John........OVER $50..!!!!!:shocking:

Just kidding, looks good and should do the trick........

I ordered universal joints x 4 from the local parts place, friggin idiots, not even close! Problem is there are no part numbers on the old Dana Spicer stuff and they don't know how to look up the older stuff......:frown:

So now I need to go back online to do some research!!!

At least some good news, an old friend who is very good at welding is coming over to box in the front of the frame rails where I had to cut off the old PTO winch, the winch is an old Turner in great shape but the mount had been modified and added to so many times, it was in sad shape....boy do I wish I took welding in school......:mad:

MOP
07-12-2009, 09:04 PM
A little of both, there is excellent 4x4'ing here on the island, my young brother owns this site... www.island4x4.com (http://www.island4x4.com) I frequent the site and outings regularly.

For off road it pays to reverse the shackles on the front axle, move them to the back. You can find many references to doing it. What can happen and did happen to me was I hit a stump the back end of the spring folded which allowed the axle to come back hard damaging the transfer case. The the stationary eyes forward that can not happen, real easy to do when it is so apart!

Forrest
07-15-2009, 02:35 PM
Nice project . . . makes me wish that I never sold my '53 M38A1 (http://www.m38a1.com/) that was just about all original down to the military tires. It would go anywhere the big boys could, plus many places that they couldn't!

fogducker III
07-15-2009, 03:06 PM
Nice project . . . makes me wish that I never sold my '53 M38A1 (http://www.m38a1.com/) that was just about all original down to the military tires. It would go anywhere the big boys could, plus many place that they couldn't!

The new tub is an M38A.......:wink: The deal came up and I couldn't turn it down, the tub fits the same as the CJ5 with a couple of small different features......

Got some more done over the last couple of days, will update with pictures hopefully tonight.......:crossfing:

fogducker III
07-19-2009, 08:44 AM
So in-between some boating and work, I got some more of the Jeep done. Both axles have been cleaned up, completly rebuilt and coated with POR-15. I will be upgrading the brakes once everything is together, the 9" brakes that are in there now have been redone recently so they will do the trick for a little while and I can concentrate on other things....:wrench:

Replaced and/or rebuilt the entire steering system including new tie rod ends all round........ I thought about and looked into power steering upgrade but have decided to stick with the original, when it is tight and new, there is nothing wrong with manual gear driven steering.

Starting to plan out the new wiring and getting that ready when I get the engine, transmission and transfer case back from the shop. I also have to figure out seating bases, I have the seats that have bastardized bases now...........:confused: still haveto work this one out and think about seat belt placement...:bonk:

Got the frame back from the media blaster and coated it with POR-15 as well, it turned out great, as did the grill. Still need to weld the new bumpers on the frame and when I get the new spring packs, shocks and other little goodies in the mail this week, should be able to marry everything up in preperation for placing the body parts....:crossfing:

The other half doesn't mind me spending so much time on this project, she says at least she knows where I am............:yes::wink:

fogducker III
07-26-2009, 08:48 AM
For anybody interested...........

we now have a rolling frame!! Ye ha........... transmission and transfer case are done but we have to hold off on install because my original engine builder got WAY behind and would not have been able to get to mine for a while, with his consent I took it to another good builder and he will get her done ASAP. Good thing is the engine was stripped, magnafluxed and inspected, considering the age, it is it great shape and should only need a hone, rings and a crank grind.........:crossfing:

A few more things to do but we can see light at the end of the tunnel...

SideshowRob
07-28-2009, 11:31 PM
Nice project! I'm jealous, I've got 2 46 Willys waiting to be brought back to life. Well 2 will make 1. So many projects, so little time. Keep updating us on your progress. I like that you included a pic with you in it. It's a nice helmet btw, you're much shorter than I thought :wink:

MOP
07-29-2009, 10:48 AM
Kind of surprised you did not move the front shackles to the back, a few bucks and a little work but well worth the effort. A few simple notes it eliminates the possibility of damaging the transfer case like I did to my jeep hitting a stump in the weeds, "all" military Jeeps came with the shackles in the back only civilian versions came with them in the front, it improves ride, and does away the bump steer that the front shackled Jeeps all have.

fogducker III
08-02-2009, 10:52 AM
So I took a little time yesterday away from the restore to abuse the boat...:wink:

Went and saw Lenny and Deneen on Piers Island at their "retro" cottage....:cool: REALLY cool place........:eek:

Thanks for the hospitality, my arms are still sore from lugging up 400lbs of groceries...:popcorn:

I did however manage to get a few things done on the Willys, transfer case and transmission are in, Saturn overdrive installed as well...:wrench:

Clutch and brake linkage were a PITA but sorted out now as well as the front spring hangers and the rear bumper and tow hitch are mocked up........

Also got some of the dash done and the roll bar ready to go........does anybody see the colour scheme similarity to anything.....:confused::wink:

Just awaiting the engine now.....:crossfing:

BUIZILLA
08-02-2009, 10:58 AM
your fired :bonk: :wink:

go back and get some cottage pic's :cool:

stat

thanx

fogducker III
08-02-2009, 11:42 AM

stat

thanx

If Lenny and Deneen will have me back I promise I will take my camera...........:frown::wink:

The cottage is like stepping back in time to around the 70's.......lime green and all.......I love it!

fogducker III
08-02-2009, 10:04 PM
Roll bar done.........and fuel tank/lines in.....:kingme:

mrfixxall
08-02-2009, 10:24 PM
Roll bar done.........and fuel tank/lines in.....:kingme:

i can tell by the roll bar what colors its going to be:)

fogducker III
08-02-2009, 10:34 PM
:wink:

i can tell by the roll bar what colors its going to be:)

fogducker III
08-03-2009, 09:00 AM
You sure the stripes will line up? :D :D

As long as the stripe is centered it should......:confused:

Lenny
08-03-2009, 11:32 AM

stat

thanx

Deneen won the first place nail driving contest yesterday at the annual picnic. She is proud. :yes: Fun having you over Jeremy, let me know when you are coming back. I will go pick up another 48 beer :beer: :)

A pic of Deneen winning, Jeremy and Deneen, and Jeremy leaving. ( slow Air Card upload )

fogducker III
08-08-2009, 09:55 AM
Got a little more done.........front and rear bumpers welded on along with a HEAVY duty tow bar.........:eek:

Front fenders and grill fitted, I will remove these if and when I get the engine back...:nilly:

Placed the tub on, with only one little accident, I kinda pinned myself between the frame and the suspended tub, the engine hoist went over on it's side and trapped my leg between the frame and hanging tub, ouch!! Just a badly bruised leg but could have been worse, took me twenty minutes to free myself, I could only just reach the hoist and the "jacking bar" had fallen out so I could only jack the tub back up about 1/16th" at a time...........:bonk:Lesson learned.

Tub is now securly mounted and I have started all the wiring, taking a break today and might just do a stealth approach on Lenny and Deneen.............:boat:

fogducker III
08-08-2009, 09:56 AM
This is how she sits as of yesterday...........

fogducker III
08-15-2009, 10:59 AM
I am "suppose" to get the engine back today...http://monkeycage.island4x4.com/images/smilies/bs.gif

I can not do much more until I get it, all the wiring is in, dash is done, fuel system, brake system, steering etc etc.........now it is just a waiting game....http://monkeycage.island4x4.com/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif

fogducker III
08-21-2009, 12:25 AM
Like anybody gives a ****.........but it is good therapy for me to get it off my chest.........I finally got the engine back yesterday, see pics, and got most of it in last night and cleaning up tag ends today.........hope to get it fired up in the next few days...........at least working on this keeps me out of the bars........:yes:

yeller
08-21-2009, 01:46 AM
Were's the other half? :wink:

fogducker III
08-21-2009, 02:07 AM
Were's the other half? :wink:

Always one smart ass in the crowd.......:wink:

This baby puts out a whole 75hp and 140FPT....:eek: on only four cylinders.......5:38 gears front and rear, enough to climb the side of your house............:yes:

PS. Your prop is almost ready, I got the prop from "down" south, will be interesting to try........... :crossfing:

Lenny
08-21-2009, 08:41 AM
I got the prop from "down" south, will be interesting to try........... :crossfing:

I believe Northern Michigan is about where we sit Jeremy :D

( unless of course it came from Kentucky ... )

Ed Donnelly
08-21-2009, 09:13 AM
I have what you really need
440 4speed hi low reduction box
hi low 4wheel hi 2 wheel
Dependind on your axle gears, 4,000 rpm should give you 5 M.P.H.
in low range and low reduction gear....:cool:....Ed

fogducker III
08-21-2009, 10:53 AM
I believe Northern Michigan is about where we sit Jeremy :D

( unless of course it came from Kentucky ... )

as I said, down south KY...........:wink:

fogducker III
08-23-2009, 09:54 AM
I am DAMN near there...............http://monkeycage.island4x4.com/images/smilies/eek.gif

Other than a small electrical gremlin that I will sort out today, radiator, exhaust system and a couple of "cosmetic" issues, I am there, ye ****in ha!!!!!!!!!

Once I get the electrical fired up I will run the motor and break it in, Break In oil at 2000rpm for about 20 minutes, new cam and re-ground crank plus new pistons and rings so this part of the procedure is VERY important! Swap out the oil and filter and then regular oil with some zinc based additive for a few miles and then after another oil change, back to regular oil and she should be good to go.

I promised myself when I got the Jeep at the end of June that I would have it done and fired up by my birthday on Aug.29th. I have less than a week to "get er done'....

Thanks for all the positive feedback during the build, it helped keep me motivated....http://monkeycage.island4x4.com/images/smilies/kiss.gif

mrfixxall
08-23-2009, 11:40 AM
I am DAMN near there...............http://monkeycage.island4x4.com/images/smilies/eek.gif

Other than a small electrical gremlin that I will sort out today, radiator, exhaust system and a couple of "cosmetic" issues, I am there, ye ****in ha!!!!!!!!!

Once I get the electrical fired up I will run the motor and break it in, Break In oil at 2000rpm for about 20 minutes, new cam and re-ground crank plus new pistons and rings so this part of the procedure is VERY important! Swap out the oil and filter and then regular oil with some zinc based additive for a few miles and then after another oil change, back to regular oil and she should be good to go.

I promised myself when I got the Jeep at the end of June that I would have it done and fired up by my birthday on Aug.29th. I have less than a week to "get er done'....

Thanks for all the positive feedback during the build, it helped keep me motivated....http://monkeycage.island4x4.com/images/smilies/kiss.gif

You have to pull the engine back out!! if your trying to match the the the willys to the boat you need to paint the engine mercury racing blue:)

fogducker III
08-23-2009, 11:49 AM
You have to pull the engine back out!! if your trying to match the the the willys to the boat you need to paint the engine mercury racing blue:)

Holy Crap! I forgot about that....:bonk:

What if I just keep the hood closed....:confused::wink:

mrfixxall
08-23-2009, 12:57 PM
Holy Crap! I forgot about that....:bonk:

What if I just keep the hood closed....:confused::wink:

Well mabe if you find a good used scorpion cowling to hide everything it could pass as a v8:)

fogducker III
09-03-2009, 08:23 PM
So a few days ago, Friday the 28th to be exact, I test fired the Jeep in anticipation for Saturday the 29th, my birthday. I promised myself I would have the Willys fired up on that day. I fired it up, it ran, very rough, but ran. It then stopped dead, no spark, searched for three days and found that the oil pump input gear was sheared off, hence, didn't spin the distributor, hence, no spark, funny how these things are linked.......http://monkeycage.island4x4.com/images/smilies/pain25.gif

Not sure what caused the damage to the oil pump gear but was worried it took out the cam shaft oil pump gear, dropped the pan and inspected everything I could without pulling the engine, changed out the oil and removed the metal pieces in the oil pan from the gear. Got a new pump, installed and checked it spun free, ye ****ing ha, it did. Put everything back together and then fought for another day or so with the timing and distibutor placement and tonight, ****ING EH!!!!! Got her running and running damn smooth....http://monkeycage.island4x4.com/images/smilies/smile.gif Everything looks good, no leaks, temp good, battery charging just over 14V etc etc..........now to sort out the rest of the gauges, driver's seat, bleed the brakes, adjust the clutch as needed and put the hood and windshield back on and we should be good to go!!! Oh ya, exhaust system.....http://monkeycage.island4x4.com/images/smilies/idea2.gif http://monkeycage.island4x4.com/images/smilies/idea2.gif

PS. I am not just doing the Jeep, I have got out in the boat regularly............:yes::wink:

fogducker III
09-06-2009, 09:45 AM
Well, basically, I am done...........:wrench::bonk:

Need to mount the windshield and driver's seat and she is good to go, running great, all gauges, lights and accs etc working, steering and brakes are good, really need to mount the driver's seat, very awkward driving it around the yard sitting on a plastic milk crate....:yes:

Now to start thinking about the next project, I think I have an ignored 18C that might like an LSA.......:boggled::eek::wink:

Conquistador_del_mar
09-06-2009, 11:51 AM
That looks like a fun offroad vehicle. You got it in running shape fairly quickly compared to winter project I did about 5 years ago. I restored this 1964 88" Land Rover which had a 79HP 4 cyl engine. It had a 4 speed transmission with a high/low transfer case. I was surprised to find that almost all the parts were available from either Land Rover or after market places. I sold mine on craiglist the day that I advertised it, and the guy doubled his money with it on Ebay a month later. I only thought I knew what it was worth - lol. I hope you have fun with yours. Bill

Ed Donnelly
09-06-2009, 01:48 PM
Your not done yet...Still needs paint

White with a stripe might look neat:cool::cool: ...Ed

fogducker III
09-06-2009, 01:53 PM
VERY nice rig Bill, I know what you mean with "perceived" value....:wink:

This Willys is actually my son's, we kinda did the resto together, at least he helped when he was here. He gets it when he turns 16, until then I get to use it to tow the boat...:convertib::boat:

That looks like a fun offroad vehicle. You got it in running shape fairly quickly compared to winter project I did about 5 years ago. I restored this 1964 88" Land Rover which had a 79HP 4 cyl engine. It had a 4 speed transmission with a high/low transfer case. I was surprised to find that almost all the parts were available from either Land Rover or after market places. I sold mine on craiglist the day that I advertised it, and the guy doubled his money with it on Ebay a month later. I only thought I knew what it was worth - lol. I hope you have fun with yours. Bill

fogducker III
09-06-2009, 01:57 PM
Your not done yet...Still needs paint

White with a stripe might look neat:cool::cool: ...Ed

Your right Ed, the paint "theme" will be how I painted the roll bar.........the plan was to paint the body parts before I put it together, but not being a painter I had to try and find somebody willing and able to do it, not easy around here, funny how everybody is whining and complaining about no work available and when I have a handful of cash for an easy paint job, nobody wants to, or is able to paint it or even show up to look at it when arrangments are made...oh well, one day it will get a new look...:wink:

CaribouLou
09-06-2009, 02:04 PM
Very nice! I was born and grew up in North Saanich. That's crazy.