PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on Barry Grant Mighty Marine Demon....

Donziweasel
07-11-2009, 10:22 AM
Need a new carb for the 540. Hope to have it all done by mid-Sept.

Everyone has always had good things to say about the Barry Grant. I am thinking of moving over to it for the 540. I am looking at this one.

http://www.jegs.com/p/Barry-Grant/Demon-Mighty-Marine-Demon-Carburetors-Blower-Calibration/754119/10002/-1

My future plans do include a blower at some point. This one is "blower calibrated" whatever the hell that means. I take it I can use this just fine without a blower until I get one? On a three year plan.

1. Finish glass, get 540 in.
2. Hopefully have steering on in Spring before AOTH
3. Add blower next summer some time.
4. Grenade drive and replace at some point.

So, can I use this carb without the blower for a year? Don't see why not, just thought I would bounce it off you guys before I dropped 600.00+.

BUIZILLA
07-11-2009, 10:46 AM
J tubes with blow through? ...

Donziweasel
07-11-2009, 01:35 PM
No idea.

turbo2256
07-11-2009, 01:49 PM
If this is a blow through application go with either a C&S Specilties or ...WELL FORGOT THE OTHER HAVING A OLD MAN BRAIN FART. Better remember soon about to send him 2 carbs for my dual quad setup. The C&S carbs were my choice for my boxed dual turbo set up for my Apache. The dual quads are being done (I remember) by Nickerson. C&S might hace gotten the dual quads but they dont do 390CFM carbs.

VetteLT193
07-11-2009, 05:16 PM
I'd suggest buying a used carb now, run it for a while, then get a BG later when you add the blower. you should be able to sell the used carb for what you bought it for so you'll be net even there... and you'll have a correct carb throughout.

I do like BG carbs though... worth trying to find a used one of them :wink:

07-12-2009, 07:19 AM
I just got one for my new engine from C P Preformance.
I sent them the new engine build specs and a week later I got the carb.
It worked great right out of the box (as it should).
Plugs look spot on, I can not say enough good about the carb.
Just saving time on messing with jetting is worth the extra money.
my 02
Dave

BigGrizzly
07-12-2009, 09:26 AM
I have the 825 on my boat with the carb in a box blow through. I have had it on the M1 and now the same one on the M3 procharger. The Hp is the same because the boost is the same. I had it on the boat for 9 years so far. Any carb in that range if set up right. Now that being said, we have every carb in stock and that one was most compatible with either blower. I did something different I did not use a Torquer manifold because of poor idle characteristics and no top end gain was evident. I don't need to hear the what ifs, all other options were tried on the dyno.