PDA

View Full Version : New Ski Sport 16 owner with a few Q's

reflexbug
07-09-2009, 11:46 PM
We just bought a Ski Sport 16 and pick it up next weekend. It's in pieces, with no engine or drive, but the hull and deck are good. I scoured it for previously repaired damage and didn't find any, and no stress cracks that are showing. It does need everything, so we're planning on just pulling the deck, and doing everything that needs doing. If it takes a few years, then fine. I just have a few basic starter questions that I hope I can find answers to.

The first being what engine and outdrive to keep an eye out for? I want to keep a small block, something mild (around 350-400hp), but I really don't know what makes of engines go with what outdrives. I don't mind modding the boat to accept a reliable combo, so what are others running?

I'm planning on replacing the gas tank, and I'm sure that there is some stringer rot, and probably some transom damage. Now, is it unheard of to just slice all the old stuff out completely and just rebuild everthing new if major damage is found? Or is it best to leave as much as possible and repair?

Also, what are people using for deck repair? I see some foam core repairs, and some wood repairs... are there advantages to either? I'm definately going to be doing this, as the deck is weak.

Any help would be great, and I'll post some pics as soon as it's back at our shop next weekend.

smbarcelow
07-10-2009, 07:48 AM
I'm running a 350 Chevy ZZ4 mated to the stock Volvo 270. The transplant was done by a previous owner and I'll still tweaking, but it seems like a good combo. I'm topping out around 60 MPH right now, but I'm spinning the prop like crazy and I can't run WOT. I take it to 5,800-5,900 RPM's. With 350-400 HP and everything matched up well, you should expect between 60-65 MPH...or maybe slightly north of that. Good luck with the resto. It's nice to hear about another old Donzi saved from the scrap pile. :cool:

mattyboy
07-10-2009, 08:31 AM
I tend to be from the keep it as original as possible school but seeing as this is a blank palet build it has you see it . a 16 is not all that rare so you are not destroying history . I would go for a chevy SB all of your hp performance goodies and options are for chevy's. most of the newer drives will work with chevy . also I would look for a newer volvo SX drive something like a DPX would be awesome look for a drive package that has POWER tilt/trim/internal hydraulic steering and you will have a safe reliable turnkey "BLAST"

post pics

Donzi Vol
07-10-2009, 08:43 AM
Ohhhhh, this sounds familiar! I've got a '66 18 in resto right now, and it's been a trip (and still is). Ours needed a complete deck coring like yours. BlownCrewCab is doing the resto, and he used a coring that is not wood. I'm not sure exactly what it is, but it's good stuff. You can just about dance on the deck now without it budging.

The tank was already removed when we got it, the stringers replaced, and a new transom installed. Since then, we have prepared for a new tank, glassed in the stringers, and will be removing the new transom this weekend for OUR new transom :wink:

Others can tell you more about motor choices, but it all depends on whether or not you're wanting to go back to original. If so, no problem. You'll just need to find out what year, and see if they dropped a Holman Moody in it or a Chevy. If you're not going original, then I echo the other guys that a SB Chevy is probably the way to go. Personally, I like merc outdrives. Volvo's are very good drives, but in my experiences mercs seem to be a little more fun :yes:

Welcome to the board and good luck with the resto! We're looking forward to seeing and hearing more about it!

All the best,
David

mike o
07-11-2009, 09:33 AM
Hey welcome, nice to have another donzi on the water in NH. Im on Squam, and have a 1995 16.:kingme: Theres a event on winni next week :party:...stop by if ya can and check out the boats. I Build little boats and have a lot of composite materials in the shop that I can help ya with. Regards Michael

BigGrizzly
07-11-2009, 09:39 AM
I am with Matty on this unless your name is Parnell and you have a top shelf designe team like him. Now that being said 400hp is not mild by any means. On that boat I would go smaller and have done that. The other thing is there are soo many fake 400 hp engines out there it is not funny. I would go 350 or less.

reflexbug
07-11-2009, 02:17 PM
Thanks for the tips on the drives, I'll start keeping an eye out to grab one when a good deal pops up. As far as shooting for 350-400hp, I'm not going to be that fussy if I hit it or not. I work with an area engine builder a lot that is super reputable, so I'll put something rock solid together with those goals in mind, and if it 'only' makes 300 on the dyno then fine. As long as it fires and drives every time I hit the key, I'll be happy. I pick it up next weekend, so I'll grab some good pics then.

HIGH LIFE
07-11-2009, 07:10 PM
reflexbug, welcome to DONZI world. I have a complete VOLVO 280T,W/ power trim and a set of Bennett trim tabs (single piston) in Ma. Michael 781-844-8082