PDA

View Full Version : Fuel pressure

Madcow
07-09-2009, 09:13 PM
Im having a problem with fuel pressure. At the top end it keeps running out. I have replaced the pump, seperator and all the hoses from the first pump back. I also added an eletric pump before the seperator feeding the mechanical. It starts of with 6 lbs fuel pressure. After it warms up it drops below 4 lbs. At the top end it runs out of gas. Anybody seen this before.

mrfixxall
07-09-2009, 09:22 PM
Im having a problem with fuel pressure. At the top end it keeps running out. I have replaced the pump, seperator and all the hoses from the first pump back. feeding the mechanical. It starts of with 6 lbs fuel pressure. After it warms up it drops below 4 lbs. At the top end it runs out of gas. Anybody seen this before.

check the pick up tube in the fuel tank, ive seen a few crack where it threads into the 90 deg fitting.

BUIZILLA
07-09-2009, 09:27 PM
alky fuel?

the hose collapsed internally..

MOP
07-09-2009, 10:22 PM
Could be the screen in the pickup tube?

BigGrizzly
07-11-2009, 09:23 AM
It could be a carb filter if it is a carb unit.

Madcow
07-16-2009, 04:05 PM
Ok. I probably should not be sharing this, but I got it figured out today. The flare fitting at the tank pickup was only finger tight:bonk:. Apperently I forgot to tighten it before I put the deck back on. Going to test again this weekend at the LEOPA poker run.

BUIZILLA
07-16-2009, 04:20 PM
hmmmmm

I don't think that solved the problem.... there would have been a leak there... if it is loose enough where it can suck air, it can leak fuel...

Madcow
07-16-2009, 04:28 PM
We'll see, but to me that seemed the problem was sucking air. When it ran out of fuel the seperator was low. As to leaking fuel, consider this. That part of the line has no pressure in fact the opposite. I may be reaching but at this point the only other thing it can be is a cracked stand pipe, and the tank is full. I have eliminated virtualy everything else forward of that point.

BUIZILLA
07-16-2009, 04:34 PM
check ball still in the tank outlet fitting?

Madcow
07-16-2009, 04:41 PM
No just a 90 a flare adapter and the fuel line.

Madcow
07-19-2009, 12:34 PM
hmmmmm

I don't think that solved the problem.... there would have been a leak there... if it is loose enough where it can suck air, it can leak fuel...

I think you are right. Still acting up, howevere I may be getting closer to the problem. Yesterday after it died on me for the umpteenth time I pulled the fuel line off the electric pump and blew back through it. put it back on and the boat ran great for a while again. Now Im thinking crap in the tank pluging the pickup. Doesnt happen at first, just after beating around a while. Going to drain the tank tomorrow and see what I can see.

MOP
07-19-2009, 01:13 PM
I think you are right. Still acting up, howevere I may be getting closer to the problem. Yesterday after it died on me for the umpteenth time I pulled the fuel line off the electric pump and blew back through it. put it back on and the boat ran great for a while again. Now Im thinking crap in the tank pluging the pickup. Doesnt happen at first, just after beating around a while. Going to drain the tank tomorrow and see what I can see.

Does the pickup tube still have the strainer in it? Some just shove a hunk of wire screen inside the tube, many don't notice it is in there.

Madcow
07-20-2009, 10:16 PM
Why the hell didn't I replace this tank when i had the chance? In all my years of boating I have never seen a gas tank with the stand pipe welded in. Well I removed the screen ( that makes a lot of sence) and added an inline filter before the pump. I certanly seem to have crap in my tank, and since the thank is all but inaccessable this seems the best way to clean it out. Wish me luck. I'll need it.

BigGrizzly
07-21-2009, 08:27 AM
I did that 18 years ago on the Corsican and it took two filters to completely end the issue. The first filter was easy and i was able to dump it out several times then I desired to replace it.