PDA

View Full Version : uh oh..weird never heard before noise

ZekesterbluH3
07-09-2009, 08:48 PM
Ok, I know, I'm going to try to get a cam with sound to post the sound bite, to make this easier...I have the boat running in the driveway...stock 330 merc, at 2000 RPM it starts this wierd droning sound...sounds like from the back of the engine or in the transmission, (Borg warner w/TRS drive). I have recently changed plug wires, plugs, and rotor and cap...

no knocking, just tis hummimg drone, on and off, Vm Vm Vm Vm

I know, asking alot, but any ideas?

BUIZILLA
07-09-2009, 08:52 PM
why are you running it on the hose at 2000? you can burn an impeller like that...

mrfixxall
07-09-2009, 08:53 PM
Ok, I know, I'm going to try to get a cam with sound to post the sound bite, to make this easier...I have the boat running in the driveway...stock 330 merc, at 2000 RPM it starts this wierd droning sound...sounds like from the back of the engine or in the transmission, (Borg warner w/TRS drive). I have recently changed plug wires, plugs, and rotor and cap...

no knocking, just tis hummimg drone, on and off, Vm Vm Vm Vm

I know, asking alot, but any ideas?

power steering noise or the tranny is starving for fluid,is their a oil filter on the tranny? try changing it and try not to run that much rpm on the hose:)

mrfixxall
07-09-2009, 09:00 PM
one more thing to ad! is the drive up?

BUIZILLA
07-09-2009, 09:08 PM
doesn't matter if it's a TRS...

ZekesterbluH3
07-10-2009, 11:17 AM
drive was down, fluid looks good in both ps resorvoir and transmission, I did put it in gear and let it just idle on forward and reverse,

I'm just going thru what i changed since it started making the noise...I'm going to put the old rotor on, and maybe put a dial indicator on the distributor shaft...I was super careful pulling the old rotor, but you never know...

and yes i will keep rpm to minimum on the hose...I think from here on in, I'll trouble shoot it in the water....

joseph m. hahnl
07-10-2009, 11:56 AM
Gimble bearing :shocking:. Try greasing it to see if the noise quiets down :crossfing:
Inspect the bellows for cracks and deterioration:confused:

Also when it's in the water look for water leaking into the boat:eek:

ZekesterbluH3
07-10-2009, 11:58 AM
but the gimbal shouldn't be affected...when the transmission is in neutral? it's a TRS with a borg warner in front of it....

blackhawk
07-10-2009, 02:12 PM
Do you have internal exhaust flappers? I started my Blackhawk one spring and could not find a mild knocking sound. Drove me nuts and had me freaked out! Turned out to be the flapper "rattling" at certain rpms.

ZekesterbluH3
07-10-2009, 03:14 PM
I believe I only have the external rubber flappers...

appreciate all the input...

BigGrizzly
07-11-2009, 09:48 AM
Internal flappers are rubber abd they are there maybe.

joseph m. hahnl
07-11-2009, 09:54 AM
but the gimbal shouldn't be affected...when the transmission is in neutral? it's a TRS with a borg warner in front of it....

I haven't really seen you set up Up close and personal:confused:. But I'm sure it the same as the Alpha.It does have a solid coupler "yes":crossfing:. The drive shaft never stops turning .It is disengaged in the lower unit.So even in neutral the Gimble is spinning. Any way That's how my Alpha works maybe yours is different. Just trying to help:wink:

MOP
07-11-2009, 05:25 PM
No spinning drive shaft with the transmission in neutral, no shifting is done in the I/O!!!!

joseph m. hahnl
07-11-2009, 05:41 PM
No spinning drive shaft with the transmission in neutral, no shifting is done in the I/O!!!!

That is very interesting:shades:.