PDA

View Full Version : Three Blade VS Four Blade on Classic 22 S/B Alpha

Budmann
12-19-2002, 10:13 AM
Can anyone give me the difference in perfornance between the three and four blade Mirage, Turbo, etc.

CDMA
12-19-2002, 10:25 AM
While there are some general rules it mainly depends on the boat and the prop model.

GENERALLY 3 blades are a little faster and 4 blades are more stable. But this is just a general rule. I have tried 4 blades on my 18 that have been less stable then 3 blades. That being said if you are dealing with 2 identical props, one 3 blade and one 4 blade, that rule will hold true.

But to make any more conclusions past that is hard to do. For example the Bravo one props while very popular in many applications on my 18 I found it to down right horrible.

As of now on my 18 I am running either a 25 mirage or a 24 hydro. The 25 mirage is fast as all hell but the hydro is a much better all around prop. I have tried a couple Cleavers, Turbo's and so forth and nothing quite does it for me yet. The next step is either to find a 4 blade as fast as the mirage or a 3 blade as stable as the hydro.

Chris

Ed Donnelly
12-19-2002, 10:46 AM
I run a 4 blade Mach.It comes out of the hole easier and tracks a little better than the 3 blades I have used. Ed

Philip47
12-19-2002, 11:52 AM
My Mirage + 25P is by far the fastest! but not the most stable, gives allot of bow lift.

My Hydromotive four blade gives stern lift, is not as fast as my Turbo's but gives the softest ride.

My 24P & 25P four blade Turbo 2+2's are faster than the Hydro but not as much stern lift.

I have too much money invested in props at the moment so both Turbos are for sale, in new condition and $250 ea

Murphy
12-19-2002, 12:29 PM
Hey Budman,

I have an 86 Classic 22 with the Alpha SS drive. The original prop with my boat was a 19p Mercury Cleaver Prop.

I tried several props and pitches... Mirage, Hill, Spinelli. 3-blades may be faster, but I've decided the performance tradeoff isn't worth it. My boat was OK overall with a 3-blade, but sometimes got a little squirrely on turns and in rough water. I Finally got my hands on a 23p Hydromotive Quad IV. The best way to describe the improvement is to say the boat finally got manners. Really solid, smooth ride in all conditions, excellent stability on turns. I have not lost any speed that I can tell and if I have, the handling gain is worth it for me. I know I'm never going to have the fastest boat on the lake with a sbc, so I want something that gives me the pleasure of good speed and great handling.

Murph

z22owner
12-23-2002, 12:34 PM
mad poodle,

email me some pics of your hydro 23.

I may be interested.

Kevin

kpicklo@msn.com

BigGrizzly
12-24-2002, 07:39 AM
Talk to Tomahawk, he has tried over 20 different props on his 22 clasic. I don't run a Hydro yet but I like the prop

blue-z
12-30-2002, 02:16 PM
I run a Mach 4 blade on my Z-25. I believe it is a 22 pitch and it runs nice overall. It beats the tar out of a cleaver overall. The boat comes out of the hole so flat it is cool. The cleaver was horrible out of the hole and gave no higher top speed. I am going to try a 23 pitch mirage for fun this spring.

smoothie
12-31-2002, 11:16 AM
I run a 26p hydro quad IV and it works great,I always run in choppy waters,but has anyone tried the INTIMIDATOR (http://www.hydromotive.com/int_3.html) yet?

Murphy
12-31-2002, 01:35 PM
Very important footnote to add here. If you run an Alpha drive make sure the Quad IV has a rubber hub. You can tell by looking into the forward end of the prop. If there is a space around the hub center it has rubber in it. If it is welded... no rubber hub. Hydromotive will bore this out and insert a rubber hub for about $60 plus shipping.

Murph

Budmann
01-03-2003, 08:45 AM
Thanks for the imput. I think I would like to find a Hydro IV 23 pitch. If anyone knows where one is please let me know. (rubber hub please)

Throttle Up
01-03-2003, 09:30 AM
Happy New Years to all of you!

Talk about great advise...Sorry I missed this thread.

We are dealers for Mercury as well as Hydromotive. If you are in need of props let me know I will assist you in any way possible! Remember to ask for you DONZI.NET DISCOUNT!

Julie
Throttle Up Propellers
877-842-6855

Budmann
01-03-2003, 10:04 AM
Thanks Julie, I will give you a call later and see what we can work out.