PDA

View Full Version : Fuel tank float

raa711
07-09-2009, 12:56 PM
I think the float is either sticking or going south in my 16. Needle on the gauge is either full, or empty depending on the attitude of the hull. I didn't realize until recently that there's a little gauge on the top of the tank. Is changing the float-sending unit a big deal? What's used for a replacemtment?

joseph m. hahnl
07-09-2009, 01:55 PM
I think the float is either sticking or going south in my 16. Needle on the gauge is either full, or empty depending on the attitude of the hull. I didn't realize until recently that there's a little gauge on the top of the tank. Is changing the float-sending unit a big deal? What's used for a replacemtment?

I replaced my cork and it works way better. But then I did a little research into it because I was afraid it may have been synthetic cork.

This is why your sender doesn't work any more:wink:.

After years the cork becomes permeated with gasoline and it sinks like a rock.

What they did is, they sealed the cork with a sealer like urethane or shellac.

This wares off, and the cork saturates." The ethanol :shocking:"! It probably acted like a solvent and removed the original coating on the cork".

The simple fix is remove the sender from the gas tank and let the cork dry out , Rotate the cork 180 degrees on the shaft. Then reseal it with a sealer that is gasoline and alcohol proof.

PS: while the sender is out you need to have low fuel and duck tape the hole so gas vapors don't escape into the bilge. As you know use caution when gasoline is involved:crossfing:

There is also this sender http://shopping.rexmar.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=CENCGF-12&Category_Code=centroid (http://shopping.rexmar.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=CENCGF-12&Category_Code=centroid)always

raa711
07-10-2009, 05:35 AM
Thanks for the reply. I've seen those units and wonder if they are a universal fit? Do all the tank makers use the same size float and sender? How tough would be to install one in a Donzi?

Morgan's Cloud
07-10-2009, 07:01 AM
Always happy with the way my manual reading gauge worked on my old tank I transferred the 'old stuff' to the new tank I had made and couldn't understand why the gauge wouldn't read any more than half full ...
The cork still appeared to be in the same condition as when it came out of the old tank ... it seemed as though it had been 'shrivelled up a bit' for a while ...

In fact the gears and transfer shaft had gotten corroded and nothing I could do would free them back up ... Had to do a replacement .

A new (identical) Tempo unit just dropped in the existing hole .....

joseph m. hahnl
07-10-2009, 11:26 AM
Thanks for the reply. I've seen those units and wonder if they are a universal fit? Do all the tank makers use the same size float and sender? How tough would be to install one in a Donzi?

It has to be cut to the depth of the tank and calibrated.

the VDO bolt circle is offset so it can only go in one way."the holes are not evenly spaced." That unit should fit your bolt pattern.

raa711
07-10-2009, 12:11 PM
Guess I should have pulled the unit out before I posted. I had a chance to get at it today and it really looks fine. The float is not gas soaked and seems to be operating normally. Close as I can figure, I may have a grounding issue or bad gauged. I cleaned all connections at the tank and I'm gonna check the gauge connections tomorrow. The float and sending unit that came in the tank really seem to be well made.