PDA

View Full Version : Cover question

VetteLT193
07-08-2009, 10:27 PM
I need to get a full cover made for the ZXO.

What is preferred:

A full cover that goes over the cockpit and bow covers?
A full cover that you do not use the cockpit and bow covers?
A full cover that does not use the other covers, but does utilize some of the snaps to keep it snug.

Anyone have a good cover maker that is reasonable? I need a cover + I'd like a Bimini to pop up while anchored or going slow.

jimishooch
07-09-2009, 07:56 AM
if it's outside, full cover bow to stern. if the side hulls get a lot of sun think about extending the cover down to tie off to the trailer.
jim

VetteLT193
07-09-2009, 07:58 AM
if it's outside, full cover bow to stern. if the side hulls get a lot of sun think about extending the cover down to tie off to the trailer.
jim

I'm definitely doing that. just curious if anyone adds snaps to it to snap to the hull to keep it steady? Or, do people double cover their boats? I'm not used to having a cockpit cover, normally I don't use them, but on this boat it is necessary.

Cuda
07-09-2009, 08:33 AM
The first thing I did when I bought my 302 Formula was get a full Sunbrella cover that covered the sides. No snaps, it was so snug, it would pop into place, but I had lines to tie it with, though I rarely used them. Then I had a sunbrella cockpit cover made that fit where there were already snaps on the boat. Neither was cheap, but they all a helluva lot cheaper than interiors and paint jobs. I've done that with every single boat I've ever owned.

VetteLT193
07-09-2009, 08:37 AM
The first thing I did when I bought my 302 Formula was get a full Sunbrella cover that covered the sides. No snaps, it was so snug, it would pop into place, but I had lines to tie it with, though I rarely used them. Then I had a sunbrella cockpit cover made that fit where there were already snaps on the boat. Neither was cheap, but they all a helluva lot cheaper than interiors and paint jobs. I've done that with every single boat I've ever owned.

you have a local shop do yours? what's "not cheap"

Cuda
07-09-2009, 08:55 AM
The full cover was $1700 and the cockpit cover was $450. That was at a shop I went to when I lived in St Pete. The owner was one of my dad's lodge brothers. :)

mrfixxall
07-09-2009, 09:33 AM
Full cover lite color keeps the heat down in the boat:)

handfulz28
07-09-2009, 09:47 AM
Full cover, doesn't use existing cover snaps; if it's outside get it down to the full hullsides.

You can probably expect at least $50/ft for Sunbrella, probably more these days. But how about calling Donzi and see if they have a "factory" canvas shop that you can contact directly? They might have patterns ready to go?

And then once you spend all that moola, if it's going to be outside without shelter, buy a tarp to keep the cover in good condition. :kingme:

Cuda
07-09-2009, 10:31 AM
Full cover, doesn't use existing cover snaps; if it's outside get it down to the full hullsides.

You can probably expect at least $50/ft for Sunbrella, probably more these days. But how about calling Donzi and see if they have a "factory" canvas shop that you can contact directly? They might have patterns ready to go?

And then once you spend all that moola, if it's going to be outside without shelter, buy a tarp to keep the cover in good condition. :kingme:

I broke the windshield in my fishboat from using a plastic tarp. It had worn a hole in it, and hung up on the windshield. I was stronger than the windsheil. I bought a Sharkskin cover for it after I replaced the windshield. Sharkskin doesn't breathe like Subrella. The fishboat isn't full of upholstery that needs care. I'd just call someone local, or ask somebody you see that has a good cover. Don't be shy, people love to talk about their boats. :)

VetteLT193
07-09-2009, 11:13 AM
I broke the windshield in my fishboat from using a plastic tarp. It had worn a hole in it, and hung up on the windshield. I was stronger than the windsheil. I bought a Sharkskin cover for it after I replaced the windshield. Sharkskin doesn't breathe like Subrella. The fishboat isn't full of upholstery that needs care. I'd just call someone local, or ask somebody you see that has a good cover. Don't be shy, people love to talk about their boats. :)

My local shop is a bit hokey, I'll try them after Donzi gets back to me. I wrote Donzi about an hour ago. I'm guessing the Donzi price will be re-freaking-diculous but it is worth a shot.

BUIZILLA
07-09-2009, 12:11 PM
I have a great canvas guy, but the boat has to stay here for a week or so.... :cool:

Cuda
07-09-2009, 03:31 PM
I can't remember the name of the place, but it's on Haines Road in St Pete, just south of 54th Ave. It's not Discount Boat Tops. I used to get them confused regularly. The guy's name is Tim, and he took over the business from his dad. Great people to deal with.

VetteLT193
07-09-2009, 03:41 PM
Craig @ Donzi was honest, told me I'd save a bunch of dough getting it on my own.

I'll make some calls tomorrow. Tampa area is a better option than way down south, but even tampa sucks for distance. I'll try local first, see where they are at.

Cuda
07-09-2009, 04:09 PM
There used to be a guy that made tops for Classic Donzi's in McClenny. That's more in your juridiction, but I think he retired. I'm sure you can find a decent top maker near St Marks or Appalichicola. I romped those areas enough to know. :)

VetteLT193
07-09-2009, 08:54 PM
There used to be a guy that made tops for Classic Donzi's in McClenny. That's more in your juridiction, but I think he retired. I'm sure you can find a decent top maker near St Marks or Appalichicola. I romped those areas enough to know. :)

The guy close to St. Marks works out of a shed in a junk yard. well, that's what it looks like. And, I'm just a bit more particular than that. It reminds me of a new method some companies are using to hire people... during a job interview they send out someone to look at the interviewee's car. If the car is neat and clean it's a +1. If the car is dirty, trashed, etc. it's a no hire.

Apalach... gotta check out places there, it's not too far.

Cuda
07-09-2009, 09:57 PM
Lots of place nearer than Tampa. Mexico Beach, Panama City, PC Beach etc, but if your set on Tampa, go there. I guarantee there are no better people in Tampa or Sarasota than you'll meet other places. I used to live in Panama City twice when dad was stationed there. I drove a brand new charter boat through the jetty there. I saw the exact same charterboat 30 years later while visiting the jetty. :shades:
The name was the Sea Horse. I've been around boats my entire life.

VetteLT193
07-09-2009, 09:58 PM
Lots of place nearer than Tampa. Mexico Beach, Panama City, PC Beach etc, but if your set on Tampa, go there. I guarantee there are no better people in Tampa or Sarasota than you'll meet other places. I used to live in Panama City twice when dad was stationed there. I drove a brand new charter boat through the jetty there. I saw the exact same charterboat 30 years later while visiting the jetty. :shades:
The name was the Sea Horse.

I'm opposite of set on Tampa. I'd rather someone right by me... that does good work.

Cuda
07-09-2009, 09:59 PM
I'm opposite of set on Tampa. I'd rather someone right by me... that does good work.
Well then get off that lilly pad and order one! Just ask around.

Ghost
07-10-2009, 02:55 AM
FWIW, I think your snap-on bow tonneau and cockpit tonneau probably won't work with almost any full cover that truly fits. But it shouldn't matter, especially trailering.

I'd think you might consider something that breathes really well, or is VERY well vented otherwise. (My Cobalt bowrider had sunbrella bow and cockpit tonneaus (breathed less well) probably much like yours, and a heavier canvas mooring cover (breathed more), that went below the rubrail over everything. Worked extremely well.

Since you have gelcoat and will keep it waxed, you should be okay for having the cover ride on some surfaces without chafing issues (like you'd see with paint.) I'd look into a cover that skipped the snaps altogether and used a sleeve with a drawcord inside and a ratcheting hook/release that cinched it below the rubrail all the way round, trapping it. Glancing at your pictures, I'd think that would work everywhere, unless the transom requires anything different or fancy. They could also put a zippered flap along the bottom edge so you could zip skirts onto it. Or if you'll always use those, skip the zippers and just have it be one piece, with the drawcord sleeve part way down instead of at the bottom edge.

Since you are trailering, you could probably get away with simple (no holes/flaps/velcro in terms of cleat access for lines and fenders, pulling the full cover before launching and donning it after. Should help with cost. And putting it on, and/or zipping hullside skirts on, is much easier and more flexible when you trailer. Michael's (HandfulZ28's) cover looks like great coverage--I'd be thinking like that if I were you.

Last, I think you CAN get away with using the same poles for both covers, but expect the fit of the covers to require different height settings for the poles, and some good adjustment experiments will likely pay big dividends to avoid pooling/tearing, though tweaks are needed over time. (For a nice dinner or other favor, getting one's wife to play pole-b1tch, trapped inside for a while while dialing things in just right, is highly recommended.) Further, if you have one pole each your bow and cockpit tonneaus, and a good canvas guy wants to add another pole or two for the big cover to make sure it sheds water properly, I'd do what he says and stow the extra pole(s) when out on the boat.

(Hey, if it makes you feel better, I was doing a similar thing with my Nova and all the constraints went the hard way for me comparatively. Awlgrip/chafe issues. Not trailering--have to put on and take off in the water, with lines and fenders/ Wanted full coverage but also the convenience of a cockpit tonneau. Wanted coverage below the rubrail, but no way to do the cinchcord/sleeve. Didn't want a million ugly snaps in the fiberglass. Etc. A LOT of work, but schemed a 2-piece cover that serves as a cockpit tonneau with a zip-on bow section, with snaps hidden on the bottom side of the rubrail. LOTS of shopping around for a canvas guy who was right for the challenge. Long wait. Cost a fortune, but it's doing well. And in the winter, it's worth paying $200 a season for the shrinkwrap and extending the life of my custom cover.)

Mike

VetteLT193
07-10-2009, 07:18 AM
FWIW, I think your snap-on bow tonneau and cockpit tonneau probably won't work with almost any full cover that truly fits. But it shouldn't matter, especially trailering.

I'd think you might consider something that breathes really well, or is VERY well vented otherwise. (My Cobalt bowrider had sunbrella bow and cockpit tonneaus (breathed less well) probably much like yours, and a heavier canvas mooring cover (breathed more), that went below the rubrail over everything. Worked extremely well.

Since you have gelcoat and will keep it waxed, you should be okay for having the cover ride on some surfaces without chafing issues (like you'd see with paint.) I'd look into a cover that skipped the snaps altogether and used a sleeve with a drawcord inside and a ratcheting hook/release that cinched it below the rubrail all the way round, trapping it. Glancing at your pictures, I'd think that would work everywhere, unless the transom requires anything different or fancy. They could also put a zippered flap along the bottom edge so you could zip skirts onto it. Or if you'll always use those, skip the zippers and just have it be one piece, with the drawcord sleeve part way down instead of at the bottom edge.

Since you are trailering, you could probably get away with simple (no holes/flaps/velcro in terms of cleat access for lines and fenders, pulling the full cover before launching and donning it after. Should help with cost. And putting it on, and/or zipping hullside skirts on, is much easier and more flexible when you trailer. Michael's (HandfulZ28's) cover looks like great coverage--I'd be thinking like that if I were you.

Last, I think you CAN get away with using the same poles for both covers, but expect the fit of the covers to require different height settings for the poles, and some good adjustment experiments will likely pay big dividends to avoid pooling/tearing, though tweaks are needed over time. (For a nice dinner or other favor, getting one's wife to play pole-b1tch, trapped inside for a while while dialing things in just right, is highly recommended.) Further, if you have one pole each your bow and cockpit tonneaus, and a good canvas guy wants to add another pole or two for the big cover to make sure it sheds water properly, I'd do what he says and stow the extra pole(s) when out on the boat.

(Hey, if it makes you feel better, I was doing a similar thing with my Nova and all the constraints went the hard way for me comparatively. Awlgrip/chafe issues. Not trailering--have to put on and take off in the water, with lines and fenders/ Wanted full coverage but also the convenience of a cockpit tonneau. Wanted coverage below the rubrail, but no way to do the cinchcord/sleeve. Didn't want a million ugly snaps in the fiberglass. Etc. A LOT of work, but schemed a 2-piece cover that serves as a cockpit tonneau with a zip-on bow section, with snaps hidden on the bottom side of the rubrail. LOTS of shopping around for a canvas guy who was right for the challenge. Long wait. Cost a fortune, but it's doing well. And in the winter, it's worth paying $200 a season for the shrinkwrap and extending the life of my custom cover.)

Mike

I actually have limited Gel. almost the whole thing is painted, there is probably 5% of the boat that is just Gel, and I was a bit confused as to why they didn't just clear those parts too.

I don't trailer with the covers. If I happen to take a big trip I'll tape the cockpit and bow covers down.

For giggles I put the Minx cover over it yesterday. My new biggest concern is that the cover is manageable. Even though the old cover is only 50% of what I need for the boat, it was a total PITA to get it up and on. With 50% more weight and material to deal with, I'm not sure how the hell I'd manage to get it on.

jimishooch
07-10-2009, 07:30 AM
of course it goes easier w/ 2 people. i put and pull the cover on my 33' by myself you will develop a technique. start from the stern and roll it forward reverse to put it back on. i've seen guys use pvc pipe to roll the cover on and off.

Ghost
07-10-2009, 09:33 AM
I don't trailer with the covers. If I happen to take a big trip I'll tape the cockpit and bow covers down.

Sorry, wasn't clear on what I meant. All the trailering talk above wasn't about being underway, just about how it is easy to put tops up and down any way you want--not limited to what you can do with it in the water tied alongside a pier.

Mike

P.S. I had no idea that would be mostly paint--I'm floored. Is it paint right above and below the rubrail?

handfulz28
07-10-2009, 12:39 PM
Even though the old cover is only 50% of what I need for the boat, it was a total PITA to get it up and on. With 50% more weight and material to deal with, I'm not sure how the hell I'd manage to get it on.

It's a PITA, but worth it if it accomplishes what you want. That full cover for my 311 weighed probably 80lbs and was the bulkiest PITA to handle. Since mine get's "hooked" over the bow, that was the way to get it on there. Basically meant heaving the entire cover over my head onto the deck, working it backwards, running side to side, to get it done. Wind blowing? Might as well been a monkey phking a football.

But it kept the sun off the deck and sides so 15-20mins of swearing was well worth it.

Cuda
07-10-2009, 11:07 PM
I covered the 302 the opposite way. Started at the bow, and jumped off the stern. It wasn't easy, but if it was easy, they'd have old ladies doing it.

VetteLT193
08-19-2009, 01:41 PM
Well, I found a used cover that I figured would work. It finally came in today, I'm happy with it. Very heavy duty and covers my drives, which is how I prefer it. I didn't quite get it straight when I put it on, the side in the picture is the 'short' side. When I get it lined up right it will cover most of the sides. :bonk:

CJmike
08-19-2009, 01:59 PM
Whats the used cover made for?
Where did you find it?

mrfixxall
08-19-2009, 02:17 PM
looks like a shipping cover?

VetteLT193
08-19-2009, 02:52 PM
Whats the used cover made for?
Where did you find it?

Made for a 28 or 29 Magic. Look on ebay, under Donzi. I think the guy has more.

looks like a shipping cover?

I'm not sure. It's heavy duty though. The guy I bought it from said it was only used indoors at a dealer. I am guessing he got a lot of them from Magic when they went under. (I think they went under?) Maybe a big Magic dealer that went under? I'm not sure... It was shipped from CA though. I can tell the cover has been used outdoors some, but doesn't seem like much... it seems like it has been sitting in a Boat factory based on the dust that was on it.

When I bought it, I figured what the heck, the 29 Magic is a mid cabin open bow just like my boat so it should fit + be a bit long for the drives... it worked out. I paid roughly $300 shipped to my door.

jimishooch
08-20-2009, 09:14 AM
lowes sells a grommet kit so you can bungee that puppy down. i'd reinforce the corners at drives/tabs. over time they will tear out.

VetteLT193
08-20-2009, 12:36 PM
lowes sells a grommet kit so you can bungee that puppy down. i'd reinforce the corners at drives/tabs. over time they will tear out.

It's already reinforced with a heavy duty vinyl at the high wear areas. The front has 3 straps on each side (up to the windshield) that wrap around the trailer.

The back has a pair of straps. the whole thing has a rope running around it that can be tightened

jimishooch
08-21-2009, 08:41 AM
It's already reinforced with a heavy duty vinyl at the high wear areas. The front has 3 straps on each side (up to the windshield) that wrap around the trailer.

The back has a pair of straps. the whole thing has a rope running around it that can be tightened

sounds like your good to go. a lot of these covers have elastic cord instead of rope that can't be tightened.